Windy Peak via Mountain Lion Trail

Windy Peak via Mountain Lion Trail is a 5.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Golden, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Make sure you do not take a wrong turn and end up on Burro! You will be in for a hell of difference between moderate and hard.

Absolutely amazing hike! As a beginner, it was a tough one. Mostly incline which is what winded me so much. Best feeling in the world once you get to the top.

great trail. lots of zigzags . there is like a silent woods area you get to walk through with logs leading the path. the end near the peak can kinda be rough.

This trail is scenic as goes along a creek for a bit then it climbs considerably. The all trails mapping is incorrect as forgotten valley is within 2 miles. If you want a real workout continue up mountain lion trail until it meets back up with burro trail.

Went Sunday 15th of April.

Not sure why trail marked is called forgotten valley. It does through forgotten valley (Trail is called burro trail.) but take you up to windy peak.

We took this way coming down, but went to the right on the first fork, taking us up mountain lion, the trek up was beautiful and challenging, the way down (through forgotten valley) was rewarding.

I suggest taking this loop, because going up on the forgotten valley side to windy peaks gets pretty steep near the end.

Whole loop for us was 5.9 miles. Beautiful views. Ate lunch at the top of windy peak was gorgeous. Will be coming back to backpack this summer.

Forgotten Valley is actually probably only about 3.5 miles round trip. I’d rate it as moderate... plenty of uphill. Beautiful bright blue pond and old houses from the 1800s at the end of the trail. Went 4/16 and no snow. Make sure to keep track of where you turn as there are a few times the trail branches off.

As someone mentioned before me, this mapped trail leads to windy peak - which is beautiful. Moderate difficulty, good view from the top. Last about 0.7 mile had packed icy snow. Extra traction would have been helpful, especially on the way down (I ate it once). But doable just in boots. Good hike!

The title Forgotten Valley is misleading as the map shows a route to Windy Peak; Forgotten valley is just to the west of this route and sings along the way will indicate. There is a state park fee to enter this area and parking is available for about 20 vehicles near the trailhead. This route begins on the burro trail and ascends to a junction with mountain lion trail. You take mountain lion up to the north shoulder of windy peak and then it reconnects with burro. Signs lead the way to the summit which raises up to around 9,000ft. There were a few snowy patches and micro spikes would have been helpful for the last half mile. There was skipping and sliding today. Windy peak lived up to its name and provides amazing views to the west across golden gate and to the snowy high altitude peaks beyond. The whole journey took me just under 3 hours including some rest time at the top.

Great views, moderate in difficulty. We did it with layers and good boots as most snow was melted away. Beautiful cabin at the end, totally a great spot for lunch. started on Burro trail, connected to Mountain Lion to get there.

Tons of snow, but you can do this with waterproof hiking boots. Not too hard! Was a good challenge for a winter hike. Did it on a sunny day, maybe 45 degrees. Just follow the trail to windy peak. Only saw one other person on the hike.

One of my all-time favorite trails. That may be party because of all my awesome memories here but the homestead and the little pond are beyond sweet. It's got more people than it used to, which is a little sad to me but I will always love this place. In the right times of the right years, GG Park has some of the best wildflowers I've ever seen,

Definitely one of the better hikes I’ve done since moving out here. Not the most extreme but I really enjoyed myself.

Windy Peak lived up to its name on 10/7/17. This was our second time doing Forgotten Valley. We hoped to catch the large aspen grove’s color change but were too late as most leaves had already fallen off. Still, a decent-length hike with some good ascents. The view from Windy Peak is a nice payoff.

FYI, if you bring a vehicle and want to park at the base of the trail(s), you'll have to pay $7 for a day pass.

We arrived early and spend a few hours hiking, taking our time and going off trail here and there to enjoy the views. There was plenty of wildlife and few people on the trail before 10am. The "lake" is more of a large pond with fish and seaweed, but is still serene if you're there alone.

The weather changes on a dime the higher you go, so bring layers and something to put them in because you'll be hot and cold!

Pictures are misleading, but it was a decent hike.

Have to go through Burro trail. I was hoping to have river creek through out the trail or at least in spots but after first .5 miles of trail it's all pretty dry trail. I think it should be rated moderate instead of easy. I returned from half way was hot and had two huskies .... I would go back without my dogs someday.

Absolutely gorgeous hike but it is not Easy as this app states. It is almost all uphill and the map lists it as hard. I had to take many stops and was a little beyond my level of experience. That being said it was so beautiful it was worth the effort.

Nice hike during nice weather. Hike to the pond/lake and back for a short one or continue on for the full hike. Great for the puppy too

One of our favorite regular trails to run.

Thursday, June 29, 2017

We loved this hike. Very lightly trafficked, does get busy around noontime though. Peaceful, beautiful views, and a cool historic house (with swings on the porch). Well marked, love that as your going along the trail it tells you where you are on the trail and has arrows to guide you. Perfect for dogs. Highly recommend.

Monday, June 26, 2017

A beautiful and easy hike with amazing views and peaceful energy❤️

Thursday, June 22, 2017

If the elevation gain wasn't so extreme it would be incredible. We got on the wrong trail at some point but the trail is gorgeous and well worth it.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Good trail.. just don't get lost!

Sunday, June 11, 2017

This spot worth checking out just for beautiful drive, about 8 mile hike. Lightly shaded so it can get pretty hot. Pretty busy on the weekends.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Nice little morning hike to the cabin and back. The earlier you go the fewer people. The first 30 min is the roughest and then is smooths out. Lots of loose rock, shaded in the morning for 1/2 the way- very little shade after 1200.
Great for kids and even semi-out of shape adults (once you get past the first 30 min).

Monday, May 15, 2017

Nice hike. The wife and I made our way up and around the quaint cabin. The first 30 or so minutes from the parking spot were the hardest in terms of elevation change. After that, it was smooth sailing. Well worth the trip.

Sunday, April 09, 2017

Super easy, not many people for a Saturday. Scenic with the creek running nearby the whole time.

Wednesday, April 05, 2017

majestic AF

Sunday, March 26, 2017

This trail is about 45 minutes out of Downtown Denver for any of those who may be traveling from there. We hiked the whole loop of mountain lion trail which ended up being almost 7 miles. With stopping to take pictures here and there and resting at the lake, it took my friend and I about 4 1/2 hours to do the full loop. It was a pretty long hike and a good part of it was uphill. Part of the trail follows a little creek that is very clear and pretty! We also hiked through a lot of really dense trees and then got to see some pretty mountain views towards the last half of the trail. By the time we got to the lake my friend and I were a little worn out and done with the trail (however this was the first hike we have been on this year so we were a little out of shape). The lake was a beautiful color and very clear as well. I'm sure this hike would be beautiful in the summer when everything was green!

Thursday, March 23, 2017

We were a little confused cause at the beginning the trail is called Burro trail but in like one mile it turns into the mountain lion trail and that takes you to the forgotten valley once there you see an amazing lake and a couple very cool cabins!! The lake is so clear and beautiful. We didn't make it all the way up to the windy peak, but still an amazing hike!