Willow Creek Falls via South Willow Creek

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(167)
Silverthorne, Colorado

Willow Creek Falls via South Willow Creek is a 10.1 kilometer out and back trail located near Silverthorne, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips.

Distance: 10.1 km Elevation Gain: 324 m Route Type: Out & Back

Great trail, not too crowded. Steady incline or flat pretty much the whole way up. There’s still some patches of ice where it’s slippery, one of which is about 50 yards, but worth it to get to the waterfall.

Really serene trail with a pretty mellow incline! The trail is pretty dry with a few muddy spots until about 2.7 miles in. From there, there’s some snow left where post holing could be an issue. I chose not to go all the way to the falls since daylight was running out, but with how much snow there was at 2.7 mi, I assume it’s like that the rest of the way the closer you get to the base of the mountain. Could be done with spikes before it gets slushy in the afternoon.

flooded

Good hike a plenty of people not wearing masks. The trail is clear until the last mile and a half. The waterfall was worth it.

Went in August 2019, and this was a really nice hike. Not too challenging, nice views at the end. Great river spots. Waterfall is nice at the end. You could continue onto other trails as well to make for a longer day. Follows part of the gore range.

A beautiful powerfully flowing stream. Good conditions up to the field, serious postholing after. Wait a couple weeks for the snow to melt.

Outstanding hike! Moderate is about right. Not too difficult though. The Falls were stunning. Did hear the craziest shrill scream about 50-100 yards from me which scared me big time. Ended up being a female Mountain lion. Never heard anything like that. Terrifying. Other than that it was amazing.

PLEASE BE AWARE THIS TRAIL IS 7 MILES RT!!!

I have good news and bad news about this hike. First the good news: The name ROCKY mountains is accurate, the falls and overall scenery are stunning, the trail going along the creek is very enjoyable. Bad: the last 3/4 mile is a dry Creek bed and nothing but rocks and you have a major hurdle to see the falls. I would divide the trail into 3 parts. The first part is in the trees (both dead and alive), narrow trail in places but overall pretty good. The middle is a meadow- wide trail with wildflowers. The last part is a challenge-very narrow, very rocky, and climbing elevation. What surprised me was at the end-a large boulder you had to climb up to see the falls. My husband and I made it but a couple of women we shared the trail with got all the way there but couldn't get up the boulder. I would have been really upset if that had been me. Some of the signage needs improving-thankfully someone had carved in info for the falls. We weren't the only ones who got confused either.

Beginning and end are pretty. Middle is ugly.

Stunning. Simply stunning.

Gorgeous, easy trail with some good variety. Some fun stream crossings, meadows and hillsides covered in wildflowers, and of course, who doesn’t like a good waterfall? Great view of Silverthorne and out towards Keystone from the top of the falls.

Perfect hike that provided a variety of scenery and flora and trees. Sometimes dirt trail in the forest, sometimes expansive views, sometimes rocky and the creek was beautiful. We didn’t make it to the falls because we hit some storm clouds and didn’t want to get caught in a bad rain storm so we caught the Gore Trail and looped back. Had to cross the creek several times which was fun. Thankfully we were able to park at the trail head as we got there at 8:15 am on a Saturday.

sick trail. totally worth the longer than expected hike up. lot of variety and we even got to see a goat waiting for us at the end of the trail.

Loved this trail. Waterfall at the top was worth the climb. Pretty easy hike until the last 20% or so when you are approaching the falls. Great spots at the top for photos, taking a lunch break, and just enjoying the view. Top was rocky, but the rest is the trail is in great condition!

Get to the Willow Creek trailhead early as parking is very limited. An overflow lot is available but it is about 3/4 of a mile down the hill near the intersection of Highway 6 and Willow Creek Road. Trail begins with a moderate ascent before leveling through pine forests thinned by the pine beetle. Trail joins Mesa Cortina and later Gore Range trail highlighted by beautiful meadows of wildflowers framing the view of Buffalo Mt. Trail then begins a moderately strenuous ascent over technical terrain before reaching the falls. Views of the falls can be appreciated at several points and large boulders offer a wonderful picnic spot if you are prepared to ward off throngs of mosquitos. It got warm later in the day so recommend an early start.

Nice easy hike to the falls. The beginning is a little hot due to all the dead trees and lack of shade.

Close to town and beautiful.

Beautiful beginning and ending but the middle was devastated by pine beetles ten years ago. Lots of down trees. After you get past that the trail is filled gorgeous meadows and dense forests. The waterfall is amazing.

Not too many people for a Saturday. Very pretty

Loved it! This one is one of my favorite local hikes to do and with the extra snow we had this year the falls were larger than I’d ever seen them before! This hike is amazing even when the falls are lower (and safer!) but the entire hike is worthwhile regardless. There were mountain goats right off the trail as well, which was a blast to see. My 9-year-old went with me and we started a few hours later than we should of which led to a hotter hike than we would have liked! Be sure to pack PLENTY of water! Also- note: There haven’t been mosquitos in the past but today there were so bring some bug spray!!

7/7/2019: beautiful! we hiked the late morning/early afternoon and it was perfect partly cloudy/sunny weather. **you have to read on weather/thunderstorms/radars and keep an eye on the weather while on trail to do afternoon hikes.. also bring layers in case weather turns unexpectedly** I’ve done this hike on a busy Saturday, not ridiculous but definitely more interactive with people and other dogs, and on a much less busy Sunday afternoon.. more enjoyable if you like the trail mostly to yourself The trail is in good condition with areas where the main tributaries/river is pushing water onto the trail; however the sections are short and easy to walk through. **important that you don’t veer around these areas in the soft ground and avoid treading on fresh wet ground to help preserve** Bring bug spray as the mosquitos are out, they particularly love me, so today i have several bug bites despite spraying my clothes and skin a couple time (i don’t use deet containing sprays, not as effective so i get it a little more, but i don’t like chemicals on my skin) The path gets rocky towards the falls and that is the second area where it gets steep, I would say it’s doable for almost anyone in condition for a long walk, as long as everyone gets to do their pace and take breaks as needed. Consider hiking pole, stick, ski pole for a little extra assistance... the trail is WORTH IT! The entirety of the hike is so pretty and the Falls are rushing hard right now. The back drop of the mountain range is gorgeous. Load All Trails before you head out (you have service most of the way) but the signage is limited. • First sign follow the “ditch” path • at the next juncture, a T in the trail take a right, there’s a trail sign here look for knife carved in directions on the signs to the falls • At the Gore Range Trail sign about 3/4 of the way up the trail to the falls, stay left to go to the falls. Plenty of stream water for the pups to drink from. There’s a lot beauty on the trail and side trails to wander on so leave yourself time to explore... and enjoy! **Jon Rasmussen’s review down a couple weeks from mine also has good info about getting to the falls**

We hiked today, July 5, ready to make it to the falls. We agree with other posts that the signing is horrible. We ended up hiking to Salmon Lake which was too far for our time table. We will try again another day. Thank you to Jon below!