Willow Creek Falls is a 5.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Silverthorne, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until September.

Distance: 5.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,138 feet Route Type: Out & Back

I was very glad that my phone was charged and there was some service back there because I got off trail four times. There was some snow, enough to slow you down but not enough to need gear. Two of the four times I lost the trail was at the creek crossing. It’s a web of fallen trees and water back there. Between that and the snow, my shoes were soaked. Make sure to have a good shoe/sock combo to avoid blisters. Generally a decent hike, though no vistas to speak of.

Didn’t make it far and had to turn around due to knee deep snow. Would be great if you have snow shoes. Yak yaks don’t cut it.

icy

This hike begins with a stretch through a burn with tons of wildflowers. As it continues there is a boulder area which is definitely hard to navigate. I. The way back we lost our way as it’s so large, but finally made it back to the trail after much debate. The rest of the trail is smooth, lots of water, flowers, and Lodgepole and tree covered. The waterfall was small but beautiful. A rain storm came in and the canopy of trees & rock s provided a good picnic spot listening to the water fall. .

Excellent trail, according to Garmin it was 5.8 to the Falls. A big down hill through rocks, and then up on the way back, was challenging for us +70 year olds but very doable! At the start you see the results of the Buffalo Mt. fire.

The waterfall was beautiful but there is a section in the middle of the route which is difficult to navigate. I found myself off trail on the way up and down and I was using a GPS map. When you come to a large rock bed, there is a dirt path that leads up to the left. This will eventually dead in to the woods. There are cairns guiding you over the rock bed. This isn't the trail but if you follow the cairns you will reconnect with the trail on the other side of the boulders. From there the trail gets really narrow and rocky and it's really easy to step off trail and not know it. The middle section is most challenging and the rest of the trail is more on the easy-moderate side. There are lots of down trees in this area and handful of places you crawl over or under trees fallen over the trail.

This hike rides between easy and moderate. The waterfall is beautiful and definitely worth the hike. Do download the map as others have said. It gets rocky and you can lose the trail pretty easy. The trail is sparsely marked which is why I didn’t give this review the full 5. There’s a good amount of shade. We went on a late morning Sunday and it was not too crowded. We arrived around 10:30 and there was no parking at first but we only had to wait about 3 minutes before someone came down from the trail.

This was a trail that required a moderate amount of work with a high reward. The weather was great, trail conditions were good, and it didn’t take the whole day. We did get lost at the boulder fields but headed north until we hit the trail again.

Easy to find the start of the trail and plenty of parking around 9 AM. Parking lot starts to fill up after this. Trail is easy until about 3/4 mile in then becomes moderate. Easy to get off trail in a couple rocky areas so be sure and keep the trail map available. The creeks along the way and waterfall did not disappoint! It took my husband and I about 3 hours round trip with occasional stops and about 10 minutes spent at the waterfall.

This was a great trail except no parking at the trail head and got a $50 fine for parking on the road. We got off the trail at the creek bed with boulders. Make sure to look for the cairns. We didn’t make it to the falls because it started to thunder and rain a bit. Some of the trail was hard to pick out and we got off trail but made it back with our handy downloaded AllTrails map. Overall looking forward to doing this again.

Great little hike. Is quite steep in places. sometimes the trail is not easy to follow but that just adds to the fun. The payoff is the waterfalls of course. See my video here: https://youtu.be/FKT4pqsS8eM

Great trail. I liked it so much I may go back tomorrow. I will definitely be going back this evening after the light softens to take pics of the flowers about .7 up. They are so beautiful. Beware of the boulder fields it is very easy to lose your way. I’m glad I downloaded the trail in AllTrails so I had my route to follow or I would definitely have been lost. The only reason I didn’t give this one a 5 star is that I thought the trail could have been marked better. But it was a great hike. I would rank it Moderate Plus. There are some very steep and rocky sections.

Hiked on Tuesday Aug 20th. Left at 7am. easy parking at the end of Ryan Gulch Road. As other reviewers have said, its easy to get off trail. However if you have the downloaded map and look at the cairns you won't have a problem. We saw a moose and their offspring ! Probably a mom and child. The trail goes up and down and its steep at some parts. Its all worth it when you reach the waterfall. Most of the hike is in the woods but occasionally you get amazing views of Buffalo Mountain and the Gore range peaks as well as expansive views east Definitely moderate, watch your ankles as with any hike. Not that I am against dogs but you people with dogs, keep them leashed please. We saw hikers who had three dogs running free and said sorry we didn't know there was anyone else on the trail. Really?? As absurd as that excuse is it doesn't matter, dogs need to be leashed. You can't go wrong with this hike.

Great hike! We arrived at the trailhead at 10am on a Monday and the lot was full. We waited about 10 minutes and luckily, someone left! Otherwise, you have to park down the hill by the park and it is an uphill walk. No bathrooms at TH. Dogs LOVED this trail as there are several river crossings. Very diverse terrain throughout the hike. The falls are spectacular and the last part of the trail up to the falls is pretty rocky, but not difficult. Poorly marked trails, however, there are carvings in the trail markers that point to the falls. Pay attention to those. So much fun!

We did start from about halfway up the wildernest neighborhood and walked up to the trail head, doing so made this just over 8 miles for us. My pup did tag along, she’s about 33lbs but very agile and athletic. The trail is a bit dim in some spots, just be vigilant. Overall it was a fun hike, fairly easy for hikers.

The waterfall was a nice place to turn around. The views from the rocks up above to waterfall were great. Good hike to get some elevation changes in!

Poor Marking. At the first rock field, we thought the trail went left. After about 2 miles we turned back. Back at the 1st rock field we crossed the rocks snd found the trail. Very steep and rocky. Well worth it when we got to the lower streams. I wouldn't recommend it for small children or dogs. Just take the Mesa Cortina trail to the falls! Family and pet friendly!

We hiked this trail with our 8 year old on foot and our 3 year old in a backpack. There were some very difficult areas where you had to cross giant boulders on an incline/decline. We made it 1/3 of the way and turned around. It would have been super fun just my husband and me.

Nice easy/moderate hike with a great waterfall payout at the end. Couple spots could he confusing but look for the cairns.

We hiked the trail the first of August. There were many deadfalls blocking the trail and it was very poorly marked in several areas. In fact, the markings got so bad we turned around. It was disappointing as we did the trail about 15 years ago and it was in much better condition.

Great hike with a beautiful waterfall. Creek crossings are not obvious, as well as some trail markings - easy to get off course. To a couple of Minnesotans, the mosquitoes weren’t bad at all.