Wigwam Trail 609

Wigwam Trail 609 is a 11 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Bailey, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 11.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,358 feet Route Type: Point to Point

Directions from Bailey: From Bailey drive south on Forest Developed Road 543 a.k.a. Park County Road 68. At the Wellington Lake entrance 543 bears left (east) toward Buffalo Creek - take the right fork instead and continue south across the Wellington Lake Dam. (This southbound road is now Forest Road 560.) Continue 6 more miles to a sign indicating the turnoff to Wigwam Trail. Total distance from Bailey to this turnoff is slightly over 18 miles. At the turnoff turn right (west) and drive 1.3 miles to the parking lots.

Hiked this trail several times from the East side (SW of Wellington Lake). This trail is beautiful. Winding through an Aspen, Pine forest as you walk along a creek. Crossing the creek numerous times, and seeing awesome rock formations along the way. The trail is a gradual elevation gain so I would rate it easy, moderate. Very enjoyable place to hike.

Very beautiful...it was moist so wear proper shoes, bug spray is your friend. We only hiked a smaller portion because of a knee injury but even with that there were lots of places to explore off the trail. Nice side note, we didn't see any trash left behind (we bring bags to carry out what we see)

This is clearly noted in the description, but in case you’re like me and miss it, this trail is 11 miles POINT TO POINT - if you want to do an out and back, it’ll be 22 miles to do the whole thing. Whoops! Ended up only going 10 miles total and it was lovely. Tons of potential for backpacking. We saw several tents but hardly anyone on the trail itself. Plenty of shade, a bunch of creek crossings but they all had logs that were easy to cross. The meadow at about mile 4 is just beautiful. This trail has all the beauty of Goose Creek but isn’t as crowded - still, get there early for parking at the trailhead! It was almost full just from the backpackers at 6:15am on a Saturday. About 30 minutes on a dirt road, but it’s easy going. Love the Lost Creek Wilderness area!

Did an out and back overnight starting at Lost Park campground with some teenagers. We hiked 6.7 miles and had some great camping spots.

Beautiful trail. We hiked in about 4.5 miles for a great camp spot by the creek. Unfortunately, as the day went on more people setup near us. Many good spots along the trail but I recommend going off the trail for more privacy. Very green there now and lots of mosquitoes! Light rain in the evenings.

Prone to sudden hail and thunderstorms, so bring warm and dry clothes. Beautiful trail with plenty of campsites along the way and constant access to clear running water.

Good trail! I was chased off by hail and threat of mountain thunderstorms, but I will be going back later in the season.

Beautiful! Many creek crossings=less water to carry. Hike along the treeline for most of the way. Spectacular views and light traffic.

great trail. weather was great. trail was easy without being too easy. the drive there was beautiful. campsites located all along the trail; easy to find. trail was very well maintained. the further you go down the trail, the better campsites. not too many people.

1 kitten, 2 teenagers, 3 adults, 4 dogs and 6 children...ages 3 to 59 went on a little backpacking adventure June 18th thru the 21st....We originally planned on going in 3.3 miles to set up base camp, but due to a late start, and rain threatening, we hiked in 1.3, and found an awesome spot surrounded by water, so we had our own little island....we did two day hikes from there, which we had alot of fun on....found a camp spot that we may use on our next adventure....and saw a moose right next to our camp!!...Bonus!....the weather was more spring like than summer, but hey..it's Colorado, right?...We will be back!... Definately bring the bug deterrent...you're gonna need it!...

Backpacked a bit over 4 miles in to the intersection with Goose Creek trail. The trail was clear of snow, but there was still a little bit around at higher elevations. There are many great camp sites at this location and I only saw a couple other campers. Very impressive series of beaver dams in this area. This was my 11 year old daughters 1st backpacking trip and while the hike in was a bit much due to the up hill and distance she coasted on the way out.

Went about four miles in from the trailhead. Thankfully others had trudged through the snow before us. FYI If youre new to the trail and go during this season, beware since others went off trail. I was warned by rangers about many getting lost in lost creek wilderness over winter due to snow. About 1.5 miles in we threw our snowshoes on. Definitely necessary by 2 miles in. By 4 miles it was hip deep and tiring to keep pushing through so we turned around. Attempted to camp out but a storm rolled through dropping a few more inches and it got too chilly for us to stay. Trail seemed awesome though! will definitely go back when late spring/summer rolls around.

Monday, October 15, 2018

Real nice in the autumn. I'd rate this trail easy, it's a lot more flat trail than usual for the area. The dirt road in took me about 20 minutes in a truck. It seemed doable in a car as well, not much clearance needed.

Monday, June 25, 2018

I drove from Denver and even though the description doesn't say it, the road from Bailey to the trail head is 100% gravel. Long time for gravel. But, that is the only negative. The hike was fantastic. We hiked in on a Saturday Afternoon in June and prime open camp sports were everywhere. One of the guys in my group caught a bunch of fish at the beaver ponds (very small however).

Monday, September 25, 2017

I only did the first 5 miles up passed Wigwam park and through the aspens groves but it was beautiful. My kind of hike... a lovely walk in the woods, following a creek with beautiful valley views. Nice break from the rocky peaks of 13/14ers.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Very pretty but--So. Many. Gun hobbyists. We passed more than one person on the trail who adhered to extreme open carry. We heard gunshots often. Given the fire risk, and the winding trails, it was really disconcerting.

Monday, May 29, 2017

Hiked up and camped by the beaver ponds. A few fallen trees along the trail but nothing that can't be navigated. Fishing the ponds was good, nice brook trout. Moose were out in the mornings and evenings.

Monday, May 08, 2017

Last summer we hiked this trail as the first ever backpacking trip for one of the ladies in our party. We shuttled from Wigwam trail and came out on Goose Creek Trail. Setting up the cars for the shuttle took some time but was well worth it, as our party did not have the time to do the full loop. I will be bringing back my girls as the beginning of the hike would make a great first backpacking trip.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

What a great hike! The beaver pond is really cool and the trail is really pretty. Had to get around a couple of newly fallen trees but it wasn't too bad. Snow was falling lightly in the morning and it was sunny in the afternoon, best of both worlds.

Friday, March 31, 2017

Really enjoyed this trail. it's well-maintained and a very peaceful hike. I was only able to make it 3 miles in this time though because there was still a lot of snow. so I look forward to doing it again in the future.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

This was an awesome hike! Only hiked 4 miles in from the east but the forest surroundings were amazing. The many water crossings were great and the beaver pond four miles in was worth it. It also felt like a winter wonderland when we got above 9000 ft as snow was a couple inches thick on the trail and falling steadily. Would definitely like to hike further in next time.

Monday, January 02, 2017

Even with snow on the trail, it was beautiful and easy to follow. I'll definitely be back!

Saturday, November 26, 2016

loved this trail! gunshots from hunters the first mile was unnerving - never experienced guns randomly going off all around me like that. was very deep into the forest through the haymen burn area, we'll maintained one lane dirt road. remember there being a few turns to get there, be sure you have a map or written directions your gpm probably won't work. worth the drive, i try to do it yearly.

Monday, July 18, 2016

I hiked this trail on July 9, 2016. The trail was easy to follow and surprisingly dry, with only a few wet or muddy spots. I changed into sandals to cross the stream, rather than walk over the log bridge. Starting at the Lost Creek Campground and stopping at the beaver ponds was 13 miles (round trip). Remember your bug spray!

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Not easy to tell when this trail stops and Lost Creek trail begins, but it's closer to 12 miles ONE WAY. I hiked this yesterday and spent 10 hours total. I hiked out 10 miles until I crossed a larger section of the creek at the end of the large meadows then turned around and hiked back. If you're day-hiking this trail it's pretty easy. If you plan to camp and carry in a 50+ lbs backpack it's fairly technical in some areas and can cause balance challenges. The meadowlands were even better than the beaver ponds as they were quite expansive with nice cool winds. You'll reach the meadowlands after crossing the continental divide - which by itself is a pretty damn good workout. Beautiful trail, lots of scenery and various sections of hiking, but start early. I got to the parking area around 9:30am on a Saturday and had to park a mile back and hike to the trailhead. I've heard if you get to the lot by 8am you'd be fine.

Thursday, May 19, 2016

A beautiful trail. We hiked just past the beaver ponds where it was serene and quiet after following the fast flowing creek. Some crossings were tricky, especially for our two dogs. A terrifying but amazing experience when a moose came up the trail behind us at full speed. Lucky we heard a twig snap and turned around in time to jump off the trail. Thankful he kept on running!

Friday, June 12, 2015

We here for a weekend backpacking trip. The trail follows the Wigwam Creek up and involves many different river crossings. These river crossings are mostly just logs over the creek and some got a bit sketchy. The creek was especially high during this time and so I may have washed out some of the log crossings. After the climb through the canyonish area, you reach the Wigwam Park and this area was really nice. It has tons of beaver ponds all along it. We hiked through this and then decided to camp at about 10,000 feet. During the last part of the hike there was snow scattered along the trail, but nothing crazy or hard to pass. The area where we camped wasn't too far from the beaver ponds and in a relaxing area. Overall, this was a very relaxing area and I liked that it wasn't all that crowded.

Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Great hike, following a creek the whole way. Most of the elevation gain is between miles two and three. There is a pond just before the junction with the Goose Creek Trail, and it is stocked with small trout.

Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Nice hike through wooded area (great for warmer days) that follows along a creek which provides a cool breeze and pleasant sound. Lots of creek crossings. Pretty views and nice drive through burn area.

Monday, August 18, 2014

Very nice trail. I planed a hike to Lost Park camp ground to camp and return the following day. I backtracked to the beaver ponds after learning that Lost Park was very crowded. It was well worth it. Plenty of good camp spots at a beautiful location. The recent rains have made the area incredibility green and lush with many examples of flora that may not normally be seen this time of year. The trail is in pretty good shape with a few stream crossings that could be tricky to some.