Wheeler Monument Trail

Wheeler Monument Trail is a 14.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Creede, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This hike is 16 miles. The trail portion is 5 miles. It then connects to the road for another 2. After 7 miles you reach the information area about the eroded rocks. It's another mile to walk anywhere near the rocks. The forest is dead from beetle kill. The trail is not hard, just long. But having to hike 16 miles just to see the rocks made me think I would have rather backpacked in so I would have the opportunity to take a leisurely stroll around the rocks whose views is obscured by dead trees. Or in a day, I think it would be better to rent a RZR or horseback. If the forest weren't dead, perhaps I would have enjoyed the hike a bit more. I've hiked the whole CT so its not about not enjoying the scenery, it's just with a particular idea in mind, the rocks aren't visible for some time. More info and pics at https://etbtravelphotography.com/2018/07/30/things-to-do-in-creede/

Favorite CO hike!

Monday, July 10, 2017

Super rewarding hike and not difficult at all! It's long but with very gradual elevation gain, we did a day hike starting at 8 and got back to the car around 4. Hiked around the area too. Magnificent views

Friday, April 28, 2017

Love this area! Hiked it a couple of years ago. The trail is absolutely beautiful until you reach the last mile or two when it coincides with the four-wheeler road (I had no idea ruts could possibly run that deep) - it was INCREDIBLY muddy. Also, it you plan on making this a day hike, I would recommend going really early to avoid potential rain/lightning in the summer months. Lots of wildflowers in the high alpine meadow near the top, varied landscape and terrain throughout, and it would be irresponsible of me to fail to mention the whole hoodoos-in-the-mountains thing. Pretty unique. Four stars ONLY because I wish the walking trail remained separate from the road the entire way up.

Monday, November 14, 2016

The hike is moderate to difficult. The thing that makes it hard is the length. You also climb the last two miles back to the trailhead at the end and that was tough for me. The hoodoos were very cool and no one else around!

Monday, September 09, 2013

I hiked out the foot trail from wheeler monument September of 2013. It was s fairly quick jaunt because it was mostly a decent from higher elevation. Beautiful hike along open fields, pine forests and creek valleys. There was a decent amount of mud on the trail even though there were no heavy rains in the recent past.