Wheeler Lakes

Wheeler Lakes is a 6.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Frisco, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,568 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Moderately-strenuous section of Gore Range Trail that passes through intervals of Aspen, near Treeline and Uneva Pass.

Steep last 2 miles but just gorgeous. Moderately trafficked. Hidden gems. Along highway at first. Mosquitoes and ants at top. Plenty of shade

Loved the hike and the views from the top, but hated the mosquitos at the lakes; they swarmed us when we stopped. There are still muddy spots on the trail and the trail between the lakes is very muddy.

Beautiful trail. Was a bit muddy in places but snow free. There is a bit of snow around the upper lake but only on the shady side in the trees. Wildflowers are in down lower but not up higher yet. A bit of I70 noise at the start. Parked near the Conoco and crossed the highway to cut off the section along the freeway but still get a lot of noise from trucks etc until you get about 1 mile in. Nice mountain views before the first lake and after the second lake!

Great hiking through poplar trees and pine forests; also some beautiful meadows toward the top and around the lakes. Wheeler lake #2 is the best. Did not try fishing, bummer! Only reason it’s not a five star is due to the portion that parallels the highway.

The parking lot for this trail head is a nearly mile long walk along the highway. As some one else has mentioned try parking at the Conoco lot at the Copper exit. The true trail head is just over the overpass. We hiked this on July 2. Top 1/4 of the trail is a watery, muddy, snowy mess but passable if you don’t mind getting your feet wet or have truly water proof boots. There is a meadow just over half way up that had my wife and daughter signing “The Hills are Alive”. The area between the lakes was very marshy. But find a way across. The views are great. This would make a great autumn hike. There are several small stands of aspens.

GREAT hike. Started at Scenic parking lot off of I-70. Aspen groves, forest, open meadows, views galore. Trail runs along the creek the entire hike up. Took the Wheeler Lakes trail and both lakes are stunning. Had multiple snow patches that we had to get over in the shadier spots, but they were still pretty packed down and it wasn’t an issue . Temps were in the 70’s on Saturday, so remaining snow was melting quickly and causing run- offs on the trail. Definitely recommend waterproof boots !

Hiked it this week lake was still frozen over. Trail is snow covered in many places.

Parked in front of the Conoco station to avoid the section along the highway. One part of the tail was snowed in and difficult to navigate without GPS. Great view next to the first lake!

Finished the trail today. Still a lot of snow, and it's easy to lose the trail at times, but were able to make it up to the lakes. The lake was still frozen, but the views were beautiful and well worth the effort.

I’d recommend waiting a few more weeks. Snow requiring snow shoes or determination to post hole (knee deep) two miles into the trek. We brought snowshoes and ultimately turned around at the crack of thunder. Still just a bit to early.

I did this trail on May 6, 2019, with other members of the Colorado Mountain Club. The description of the trail in the books included here is pretty accurate. It is not particularly difficult or long. The round trip is only about 5 miles and the elevation gain is about 1300 ft. It does start at about 9700 ft, however, so you may huff and puff some. The trail starts across the road from Copper Mountain, the ski resort and it takes a while to get rid of the highway (I-70) noise or views. The trail is almost entirely below the tree line and you hike mostly in an aspen and pine forest. You do get above the tree line towards the end and the views are better. Even though it was the beginning of May the trail and both lakes were still covered with snow and we made the mistake of not taking our snowshoes. So, it was very slow going because of post-holing, especially on the way back when the snow had become slushy. Because of that and because one of the hikers had a minor injury it took almost 6 h to complete with a 45-60 min break at the top. Also, the trail was not always visible and my recording shows us meandering in and out of it. All and all it was an OK hike but it may be better to do this in the summer when the wildflowers are out. Also, this trail continues to Uneva Pass as described in the books listed here and reaching that pass in the summer may make it more enjoyable.

We picked this trail because it’s close to Copper where the rest of our group was skiing. The snow was deep and beautiful, but way too soft in places and we punched through waist deep more times than I could count...even with snowshoes. The trees and views were really breathtaking once we got up and away from 70, but too much of the trail follows the highway. We were the only ones on the trail all day and it was hard to follow much of the time, even with the app. A few trail markers in the trees would have been helpful. Not sure I’d rush back to do this again...at least not in the snow. If you go in the snow, we highly recommend the earlier suggestions to park at free Copper lot and walk across the bridge the the trailhead that avoids the .8 flat portion along the highway! We parked at the first trailhead and regretted it.

This trail was easy-to-moderate and peaceful. We did it in early October and had a picnic lunch by the second lake. I enjoyed it but I probably wouldn’t do it again.

Muddy hike today, 10.19.18 due to precip last night. Takes awhile to get away from I70 noise. Good workout. Lakes are meh but views at top are nice. Was peaceful and that's what I'm after but probably would not do this again. Too many other better trails in the area.

This trail is an excellent day hike. On October 12, my son and I ventured from Copper Mountain toward Wheeler Lakes. The first two-thirds is the steepest portion of the hike with the final third easier on the legs. Our journey included snow, which enhanced the beautiful scenery. I highly recommend this hike.

Great little jaunt for a last minute spontaneous hike. We got there around 1pm and there was hardly anyone there. There is actually parking much closer to where the trail turns into the mountain off 70 otherwise, you have to walk a little bit on the side of 70 before you turn in which I thought was actually pretty cool. Either way, you are pretty much right across from Copper Mt at the start. Good little easy hike for some exercise . Aspens along the trail pretty much have lost their leaves as of today. Pros: * Short easy hike. Slow, steady incline until you hit the lakes. * Pretty, open space at the top where the lakes are. That's the best part. * Trail head is easy to find, right of Rt 70 across from Copper * Good choice for beginners or a last minute hike. * Quiet at the top by the two lakes. Although the lakes are not the typical turquoise mountain lakes, still pretty to have lunch at. Very peaceful. We were there just appreciating the silence for an hour. * Most of the hike has good cover from trees once you get past the first mile. Cons: * Not the pretties of hikes unless you hit it during peak aspen leaf changing. Your mostly in trees. * Views until you get to the lakes are through the trees and are mostly of Copper Mountain if any views at all.

I’m a previously in shape hiker who is now super out of shape. The uphill on the way to the lakes was very tough (had to stop and catch my breath a lot), but I kept on. It was short enough that it didn’t kill me :) The lakes were decent. Back to the parking was all downhill and much easier for me. Took me 2 hours from parking lot to the top lake, and then 1.5hrs down. Great part about this hike is that much of the trail goes through the trees, so lots of shade.

Views are amazing and well worth all the uphill! Majestic mountain views, peaceful lakes, and a bit of Fall in the air-what more could you ask for.

not a steep hike, very beautiful

Great round trip hike. Take a lunch and sit next to one of the two lakes. Creek is dry. Be sure to take plenty of water as the trail is on the sunnier side of the mountain face. If you are overnighting, be sure to register at the base of the trail.

Great short moderate hike mostly in the trees. Some aspen groves. Trails well maintained It’s about a 2-3 hr round trip hike with time spent for lunch looking over the small lakes.

always enjoyable! easy hike with continous steady incline making it moderate. Bring bug spray - about half way mark is Mosquito haven in short switchback area next to creek. Go past lake for scenic long range ridge views.

Great trail. Parked in the Copper lot and then walked over the bridge. Went up early and not a single person on the trail until heading back down. Lakes were beautiful. Moderate ranking is accurate.

Too bad this trail starts and ends with a long walk along I-70. The rest of the hike is very nice, and the two lakes (really ponds) are incredibly tranquil and beautiful. Definitely worth the hike. I too would rate this hike as moderate. A nice steady uphill climb to the lakes, but not too strenuous.

Nice trail. Quite a few flowers. We encountered a bit of snow, but manageable.

Nice hike! A good bit of the first part is along I-70, and the sound of traffic is annoying. Once you get beyond that, it is a nice, moderate incline to the lakes at the top. We will do this one again!