Wheeler Lakes

Wheeler Lakes is a 6.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Frisco, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Moderately-strenuous section of Gore Range Trail passes through intervals of aspen. Lake is near treeline and Uneva Pass. Great views and exceptional views .

Made the mistake of backpacking this trail in late May. Still knee deep snow, so the lakes were under a foot or so of snow once we got up there. We did manage to find some dry ground in the trees near the lakes and camped out for the night. The views were great even without the lakes and I would love to go back later in the summer and give it another go!

Also free (limited availability) parking near the Conoco across from the Copper Mountain parking lot not far from the trailhead.

follow the protrails info on this hike to get directions closer and bypass some of hiking along i70. I liked this hike! got the heart pumping and great views. especially do the spur at the second lake. I slipped 3 times on ice but I was too lazy to put on my spikes. also I ran into two sets of hunters, so just be aware and I would recommend dogs on a leash.

This is a great trail. Hiked the beginning of October. Snow on the upper half. Some slippery spots. Beautiful views at the top!

We did this hike on a Saturday. It was busy, but not too busy. I think the reason it is rated as hard is because the incline is non-stop until you reach the lake. I prefer more of a rambling trail with both incline and some leveling out. The trail itself was well-worn and easy to follow. Not many views...mostly forest of aspen and pine. It was beautiful...but just know that it is a constant uphill.

Very nice trail. Although it is rated on this site as "Hard", I would rate as "Moderate". My only guess for the hard rating would be because there is a steady upward grade for about 2 miles. The trail itself is well worn and easy to follow. The trail to the top was about 3.6 miles and took about 1.5 hours. Total for the hike was 7.2 miles and 4.25 hours (this included 30 min for lunch). Take plenty of breaks on the way up and you'll be fine. Pretty views of the ponds and the mountains at the top. Bring some extra warm clothes. There was a cold wind blowing and it hailed for a short time. Only downside was hearing the traffic on 70 West for a period of time.

Great trail. Not difficult. Wish the skies were blue and clear as the views are beautiful. Very hazy from the fires.

Not a difficult trail. There is a short maybe .5 mile section that is "difficult" but because most of the trail is not like that, I'd say it's moderate! Really good views and a great place to hike to to eat lunch.

We enjoyed everything about this hike EXCEPT for the initial 3/4 mile along I-70. So unnecessary! Don't park in the scenic overlook parking lot to begin your hike - unless you have a fondness for the sights & sounds of interstate traffic. Take exit 195 and either park off to the side as you exit westbound or park near the Conoco station on the eastbound side and walk across the bridge over I-70 to the trailhead. The trail is beautiful through aspen forest, meadow, and along the lakes. Be sure to continue beyond the 2nd lake for a gorgeous view down Tenmile Canyon and the surrounding mountains.