Wheeler Lake is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Fairplay, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and ohv/off road driving and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,246 feet Route Type: Out & Back

ohv / off road driving

Trail conditions update: attempted to hike this 5/2. Made it about half a mile from the trailhead to the Mill before the snow pack made it very difficult to continue. not all of us had snowshoes, which is likely a must all the way to the lake. make sure to bring some or be prepared to posthole the whole way. Was a beautiful day and looked like a beautiful view!

Amazing hike and view! This was not "hard" but I'd rate this trail as "moderate". Loose rocks and gravels made my trip slower but enjoyed all the way. Fall colour all over the place and perfect weather. Ran into three 4 wheelers on my way up and looked so much fun, but when I was coming down, I saw a traffic jam with several SUVs trying to come up but was not able to. They blocked the trail with cars going up and down. If you're gonna go up with your vehicle, make sure your car has a high clearance ( I mean seriously high ones). Otherwise everything was perfect :) 09/28/2019 #49

We did this trail on Sunday. The trail is a nice steady climb with great views and lots of water. It is an Off road trail. We passed several jeeps coming down. They go super slow. It was kinda fun watching them on those big rocks.

Gorgeous hike. Super rocky with it being a 4 wheeler trail but great views the whole time. We got going at around 8:45 am on a Saturday and were the only ones on the trail and up at the lake. Then as we were coming down around 11:30 that’s when we saw the long trail of jeeps with some hikers. So I recommend starting early. Would definitely do again! Also make sure you wear hiking boots . One for the rocks and two the trails are flooded at some points.

Great hike. The whole trail is on a 4x4 jeep trail, but there are 360 degree views and the lake is beautiful. We didn't see many people or any jeeps but we were also there mid day on week day after school was back in session in August. I do see a lot of jeeps there on Saturdays so be aware of that. The trail follows the road and goes all the way up to the lake. The road is pretty rocky and is a gradual incline the whole way. We did have to cross a waterfall/flooded area of trail at one point near the lake. We were able to just use our hiking poles to balance and walk down the middle of the road on the taller rocks. The last little bit of the trail is fairly steep uphill but it's definitely worth it. This is probably my favorite hike we've done so far in the area. There are two waterfalls going into the lake and there's a another smaller lake a little up higher. We didn't go up there but it did look like it may be more difficult rather than moderate like the rest of the trail. The wildflowers were amazing on 8/20/19.

As others have said, this is a 4WD trail, so it's rocky, big mud puddles, loose gravel, and no shade at all. Other than that, a nice trail, although I went all the way to Traver Peak. No jeeps, no people, nothing at all be me and dog.

This was the quietest trail we have ever been on and we LOVED it! The hike is beautiful, peaceful and so different than typical trail hikes. We wouldn't necessarily qualify it as a "hard" hike, we would solidly say a moderate. The last 3/4 of a mile has a 1/2 mile of rocky path (like the kind that enjoy slipping from under your feet. Pretty much more of a challenge heading down, trying to remain on feet not your bum!), but otherwise a fairly relaxing hike! We would highly recommend to anyone!!!

Because this is also used as a Jeep trail it tends to be rather rocky throughout the full length. I hiked/ran this on a Wednesday early afternoon and didn’t see any jeeps. Had the lake all to myself! A couple beautiful waterfalls at the top. As other have mentioned, you will likely get wet... even if you avoid early on there is one larger stream near the top that is hard to pass without getting wet... embrace the water :) Also I picked up more trash than usual on this trail, please remember to carry out your trash or even help out and pick up some that isn’t yours, thanks! Got to the lake in 1:15, RT 2:20

ohv/off road driving

Awesome trail but do not go alone unless you are an experienced driver. The views are totally worth the drive.

Amazing views the entire way to the lake. Pretty busy with keeps during the weekend but worth the effort. I hiked up to the upper lake which was partially frozen still but had it all to myself

The mill at the bottom, the waterfalls, and the lake at the top are worth trouncing through willows to avoid countless wet areas of ponds or running water. It was more like walking through a creek, and upon reaching the waterfall, the road was closer to a river. There is a single cairn about 50 yards before the waterfall that indicates a way to scramble up the mountainside. I took this way and then wandered through the tundra keeping the creek, covered in snow bridges to my left. This way parallels the tracked trail on AllTrails. The lake is currently superb. Waterfalls trickle down the west side peaks, flowers bloom on the south bank, and snow and ice cover the northeast side. AMAZING pics worth all the detours, take a look: https://etbtravelphotography.com/2019/07/23/three-hikes-in-breckenridge/

Amazing views, gorgeous lake. Highly recommend

Such a gorgeous hike. You will get wet, majority of hike is walking through moving water. There are side paths around the big puddle areas. When we were close to the top, the water was high and fast coming across the trail so we had to find a way around. (See drunk looking path on recording). Lake at the top was half frozen still, views were epic. Only some snow on the trail.

My dad and I hiked the trail yesterday. We aren’t very experienced and didn’t make it all the way, however the view keeps getting better as you go! The trail is very rocky and almost like a creek and there is still a good amount of snow; be prepared to get wet. The trail is a little difficult to follow due to snow. Would recommend good hiking boots and a hiking pole as well as something to help with the snow like spikes.

ohv/off road driving
Thu Oct 11 2018

Really fun trail, not for beginners though. Lift, skid plates and rock sliders are a must, as there are lots and lots of very big rocks. The lake is very beautiful. Lockers are helpful if you are more adventurous and want to go for the harder lines, but can be completed without. This trail is also wide enough for full size trucks. 2nd gen Tacoma single cab 3” lift, 14psi 33” TSL stickies.