Wheeler Lake

Wheeler Lake is a 5.9 mile out and back trail located near Fairplay, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and off road driving and is best used from March until November.

off road driving

My fiancé and I decided to hike this trail 6/19/17. The trail itself looks like a creek bed, lots of rocks of all sizes and streaming water. Some spots you have to go around and I would recommend wearing pants bc the bushes you walk through will scratch you up. About half way up the road turns to deep snow. It's doable to continue hiking. We did it without snow shoes but I'm guessing snow shoes would make it a little easier. The last part of the hike before the lake was very steep and you have to cross some water/snow. I felt like I was climbing a 14er! The lake when we went was still frozen but I can imagine once thawed it will be so beautiful and clear! We didn't see too many hikers but did run into a group of ATVs trying to make it up. Overall it was a beautiful hike and probably one of the tougher hikes I've done just because of all the different terrain.

off road driving

Went out yesterday Saturday 6-3-17. Got about half way up still snow packed. But you can still play on the rocks a little.

Great day overall!! Can't wait to go back.

off road driving

Great hike-- wouldn't quite rate it as hard though. I was the only one up there on Saturday. Probably the last day before you need snow shoes. Worth it!

off road driving

This trail was semi difficult but the views are awesome. You may be able to drag a stock 4x4 off but it's going to take some effort and your probably going to come back with so beauty marks. However that's the fun part sometimes is pudding things to the limits and seeing what you can do. It's a pretty long trail so take water and food plus the other lake is a decent hike so if you plan on visiting it be prepared. Lastly don't travel this one alone, it's always better to have a backup rig for support. Safe travels and wheel on!

Gorgeous, but can have a lot of jeep traffic especially on weekends. Trail ends with a 400 ft vertical scramble so save some energy. It's worth the effort.

Must see!!!

BEAUTIFUL HIKE! 4 stars because the road becomes an actual river with little to no way to pass except going through it. There were so many marmots! I hiked this trail June 20, 2016. There is still a decent amount of snow.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Beautiful views and a relatively easy hike. Well worth the drive from denver for a short picnic by the lakes.

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Hiked this trail again. Lots of water on jeep trail. Had to hike around the water.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

One of my first hikes.Several waterfalls , and flowers. Good place to take jeeps. 1997 July 5

Friday, September 10, 2010

In spite of all the 4x4 information about this trail, it really is a great hike. Each time we have hiked it, we see one or two jeeps, unless there is some sort of group rally. Wheeler lake is beautiful and above the lake is even better. Plus, the jeeps only go to the lake and back.

We hiked to the lake and then to the peaks behind the lake, Clinton, McNamee and Traver. Will post pictures from home.