Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started
Learn more

Wheeler Geologic Area Road is a 27.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Creede, Colorado that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and ohv/off road driving and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 27.9 miles Elevation Gain: 3,474 feet Route Type: Out & Back

ohv / off road driving

NOTE: There are 2 ways to get to the top of Wheeler Monument. There is a hike (listed on AllTrails as "Wheeler Trail") and a 4WD road - the listing on this page. This road would be easy for an off-road vehicle, but a very long moderate for a hiker. Hikers can use the 4WD road, but you will be sharing it with vehicles. Users have reported periodic closures to vehicles on this road. High clearance 4WD vehicles are recommended. Users have also reported a large amount of downed trees along this trail. This is a very unique spot in Colorado. The hike is long, but mainly flat. The hike mainly goes across a flat mesa that is around 10,000 feet. The geologic area is out of this world beautiful. This national monument was established by Teddy Roosevelt in 1911 but was later designated a wilderness because so few people could make the difficult trek to the remote area.

Rough drive in an older Jeep Wrangler. An easy trail once you’re there. The great reward is the rock formations. It’s an amazing place. Take water and maybe a picnic basket. I would do it again to take a friend.

Trail is in pretty good shape. Just watch the weather for rain so that it’s not muddy. I did it in a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 2” lift and all terrain tires. Didn’t encounter any hard obstacles. Trail does get a little tight in some areas so will get some scratching and pinstriping from tree branches. Could be done in a crossover suv would just need to take it slow and would probably experience some rubbing. Larger truck might have issues due to width. Took me 2 hours each way. Head up early bring some food and enjoy the trails.

ohv/off road driving

I drove this trail in a Nissan Titan Pro 4X. A little tight in spots but its doable Expect some scratching on the paint. Lots of downed trees that were cleared right up to the edge of the road. The road was dry and a few creek crossings with very little water. It took me about an hour and 45 minutes each way. rocky in spots and lots of dips. Just take it slow. Very slow. Well worth the trip. Beautiful formations. Next time would take an ATV or something on the size of a Jeep. I was told an ATV is a little smoother of a ride

The road is rocky and slow taking us about 2 hours one way in a stock Jeep wrangler. Seeing the Wheeler Area at the end of the road was well worth the trip. We did the 3.5 mile hiking trail loop around Wheeler which seemed to lightly traveled with tall grass growing up in some sections. The loop offered everything from forest walking to some great views from the top of the Wheeler cliffs.

Took the drive up to Wheeler with a stock Toyota Tundra. Roads where rocky but not undoable in a 4wd, took us 2 hours to drive each way. it's 24 miles from paved road. Then we hiked the Wheeler loop which per GPS was 3.5 miles, moderate trail. Hard to follow some of the trail was overgrown.

ohv/off road driving

An easy trail in late summer. Definitely rocky but pretty and not a lot of traffic. No obstacles, a few stream crossing, nothing a stock vehicle can't handle.

Thu Dec 27 2018

Awesome drive even in rain mixed with snow! Beautiful area.

Mon Jul 30 2018

Since the hiking trail doesn't come up easily when looking for hikes near Creede, but the road does, I wanted to include my review here too. This hike is 16 miles. The trail portion is 5 miles. It then connects to the road for another 2. After 7 miles you reach the information area about the eroded rocks. It's another mile to walk anywhere near the rocks. The forest is dead from beetle kill. The trail is not hard, just long. But having to hike 16 miles just to see the rocks made me think I would have rather backpacked in so I would have the opportunity to take a leisurely stroll around the rocks whose views is obscured by dead trees. Or in a day, I think it would be better to rent a RZR or horseback. If the forest weren't dead, perhaps I would have enjoyed the hike a bit more. I've hiked the whole CT so its not about not enjoying the scenery, it's just with a particular idea in mind, the rocks aren't visible for some time. More info and pics at https://etbtravelphotography.com/2018/07/30/things-to-do-in-creede/

Fri Jul 27 2018

Did this trip on 6/11/18. The number of dead trees was concerning, both for having to find a place to pitch a tent that wasn't surround by dead trees ready to topple over, and also the fact the downed trees conceal the trail, particularly on the loop around the formations. GPS said the trail was 8 miles to tbe loop. Lots of campsites at the boundary, but also lots of ATV traffic in and out all afternoon at the end of the trail. Mostly had the whole night and morning in Wheeler to myself, which made it worth it. A nice moderate hike to a cool place.

Wed Jul 25 2018

The 4WD was rough but certainly worth the drive. The road was free of trees aside from a few moved to the side but still wide enough for vehicles and ATVs. Some downed trees on hiking trail near Wheeler but not enough to be a major problem. Amazing views and terrain at the end of the upper trail to the bench.

Sun Jun 10 2018

This review is for the hiking trail. The directions in a previous report are accurate. Take Pool Table Road 600 from CO 149 about halfway between Creede and South Fork. At the end of the road is a parking lot, bathrooms and a small campground. From their to the bench with the best views of the Wheeler Geologic Area is 7.9 miles per a GPS watch. We decided to mountain bike the first two miles to save time and walking until we got to the wilderness area where no biking is allowed - at the stream crossing. There were a ton of down trees in this first two miles which made biking pretty tough. Had to carry it over probably 30 downed dead trees killed by the pine beetles. So because of all the dead trees in the area I don’t expect this to get any better for the next 60 years or so. After you get to the parking area for Wheeler - you’ll meet up with the Jeep road about a mile before getting there - it’s another 0.9 miles to the actual Wheeler site. You’ll follow a path that will come to a sigh where you can go straight or left to Wheeler. We went straight first which takes you to the bottom with some cool formations and perspectives but it dead ends in about a half mile. We backtracked to the left hand turn and that takes you to the bench with the awesome views of Wheeler. Very unique and worth the almost 16 mile round trip. Biking the first two miles in saves some time and effort but with the downed trees it’s probably a wash. Round trip was about 8 hours.

Sat May 12 2018

Did this hike on 5/11/18. Hike is long but very doable in a day. Wherever the trail goes through the trees there are a significant amount of downed trees blocking the trail. The 4x4 trail was closed but wouldn’t be able to make it to the end bc of all the downed trees.

Mon Oct 09 2017

The reviews already submitted are accurate. I just did this hike over the course of two days. I recommend getting out there early. The best camping spots in my opinion are near the trail shelter which is a short trail just off the Wheeler Geological Area trail. Additionally, beware one of the creek crossings is quite large. It was very cold when I went and wet feet would have been a nightmare. If you go upstream about 100 yards you can find two logs to cross. The trip going back to the trailhead is a lot tougher as others mentioned (many uphill sections) Lastly, tie your shoes tight this trail killed my toenails.

Tue Sep 26 2017

My wife, 5 year old, 8 year old and I went on this yesterday. The scenery is out of this world! The hike itself was not too difficult for myself and my wife but the kids had a difficult time coming back. The hike there is mostly downhill, but the hike back is almost all uphill. We did this in about 4 hours, and it was totally worth it. I highly recommend it!

Thu Sep 21 2017

My husband and I explored the wheeler area on September 16 2017, we drove the 16 mile 4x4 road in our 2007 Chevy silverado. We made it fine. The road was very long and lots of mud puddles and places where there lots of rocks. It look us 2 1/2 hours to reach the trailhead where we camped in a tent for the night. Beautiful area but there is alot of dead trees due to beetles. We hiked the 2 mile loop . The views are amazing! The formations will make you wonder if you are still on planet earth. It was well worth the time and discomfort of the long rough road to get there! We saw a couple vehicles with flat tires so make sure you have a spare and don't attempt to drive this road without 4 wheel drive. I would of given it 5 stars if it weren't so hard to get to.

Mon Mar 27 2017

Crazy cool hike!! This is a very unique spot in Colorado. The hike is long, but mainly flat. The hike mainly goes across a flat mesa that is around 10,000 feet. The geologic area is out of this world beautiful. Check it out This is was first national monument is the US but was designated a wilderness because so few people could make the difficult trek to the remote area. It is so cool to see how the unique geologic history of the area manifested itself.

Mon Jul 09 2018