Weston Pass OHV Road

Weston Pass OHV Road is a 34.9 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Leadville, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for off road driving and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 34.9 miles Elevation Gain: 3,218 feet Route Type: Point to Point

ohv / off road driving

Excellent trail for beginners. Stock SUV will do it easily.

private property

Fun drive and a very easy trail. Just missed the fall colors, but still beautiful

off road driving

Excellent road conditions and even more excellent views!! Take your time and explore the many pull-offs and campsites! Stock Tacoma TRD Off-road - no problems.

off road driving

Great trip today from FairPlay to Leadville. Did not see any animals but still enjoyed the drive. The east or Fairplay side is definitely the rockiest and washboard effects but my FJ with 33’s and 2” lift made it fine. Great views!

off road driving

Beautiful in fall! We love it. The Park county side is easy. The Lake county side at the top is a bit sketchy for a sedan but a Subaru will make it fine. After the descent the roads smooths back out and is just a gorgeous drive!

off road driving

Used the pass road last week in order to get into Leadville to meet up with some buddies at hunting camp. I've never been to the Leadville side because the pass opened quite late this year with the record snow -- I made an attempt in June and another in early July but was stymied by snow on the Fairplay side. This go around it was smooth sailing. Unfortunately every motorcycle on the route felt the need to pass my Jeep as I was negotiating turns or large holes. I'm sorry, but that's pretty poor trail etiquette. My Jeep Unlimited is relatively stock minus some 31" tires, and the ground clearance was plenty for the Western side of the pass which requires some more clearance than the Eastern side.

off road driving

Bumpy ride but well worth it! Gorgeous views the whole way. Nothing too steep just very rocky with some indents in the road.

off road driving

Highly recommend this trail I’ve been coming up here since I was 8 years old and now I’ve finally done it myself driving great memories and good camping spent the night at the campground and finished it in one day great views and a mellow drive the Leadville side is really easy just a first road and the FairPlay side is pretty rocky and a little bumpy but not to bad I would recommend a suv for the FairPlay side you don’t need much clearance but the Leadville side is really tame and you can take just about any car up there

off road driving

We drove this trail from Leadville to Fairplay after completing Mosquito Pass. This is a fairly easy trail, but there are some bumpy spots and decent potholes and ruts that pop up (mainly on the Leadville side). I'm sure a 2wd crossover would be fine on the trail (saw a Ford Escape and Toyota Venza), but I wouldn't recommend a car with low clearance. Please drive slowly approaching blind corners. Had a mild scare on the Leadville side because a vehicle was cruising the opposite direction toward a blind corner I was approaching. Overall the trail is wide with plenty of room for passing, but there are a few, narrower sections

off road driving

Wonderful trail, amazing views and the road is not as bad as it could be. Used 4x4 on some steep areas but it was more for efficiency than necessity. No major boulders, some large pot holes and sharp rocks, a few steep areas that I stayed in low gear to save my brakes. Tons of dispersed camping all along the trail, I stayed right next to the river that runs down the valley. Take your pick with whatever views you like. Wonderful hiking and a trail head that starts above treeline with 360 degree views and plenty of space.

Awesome trail. 4 wheel drive strongly recommended, however our Subaru Crosstrek did fine. Lots of off road camp sites and great views. Follows a stream but does not cross through it. Highly recommend!

off road driving

Very easy. I used this road as a warmup Jeep drive for my family of 4, before we stepped up to some of the more rough trails in the area. For the most part this is a road. We drove from Fairplay and ended on Leadville side. Most any vehicle could make it to the pass front Fairplay without any problem. The west side headed down to Leadville area has a few humps and dips in the area before entering back into the trees. You need a truck or higher clearance vehicle to make this... no Toyota Camrys here. Generally rocks are minimal on the whole trail. 4wd not needed in any stretch of this OHV when we traveled it today. I would say it is moderately traveled. Probably 10-15 crosspiece motorcycles along the way and 6-8 other passenger vehicles (jeeps, 4 runners, and a few pickups). Everyone we encountered were very friendly and courteous trail users. If you’ve never done a Jeep trail, and want to try out your vehicle on one, this is the starter trail for you. Notable features: —Stop at the Rich creek trail head for a nice photo op on the little foot bridge over the creek. —-Some nice camping spots 1-2mi past rich creek TH with pretty spots to fish and good views up above. —of course the pass is a must do spot to stop and take a photo. We hike around on a small bank of remaining snow for a bit at the pass. —there is a neat little waterfall on your right (traveling westward) shortly after you enter the trees, that makes a nice spot to stop. —there is a great spot to view down the whole valley and admire mount Massive (I think, or Harvard) to the west. (I’ve uploaded this pic) Very enjoyable trip for a family who isn’t looking for a reason to use their winch.

Fun off road pass. West side on Leadville side is not maintained and gets pretty rocky. We had no issues in a stock Tundra w/o offroad package. East Side from Fairplay is pretty good! Enjoy

off road driving

Great trail for beginners. Super easy with great views.

Super easy, awesome scenery. Very few vehicles. Just pray you don’t need a mechanic on the east end.

off road driving

So is Weston open all the way through? Heading that direction next week and would like to know the condition of the trail. Thanks in advance for any info :)

Great Jeep road once you find out where to start which is highway 24 turn onto 7 then follow until it turns into a dirt road. There was fun hills and some mud. I would recommend this for a beginner since you can go at your own pace.

off road driving

Nice and easy scenic riding on the dual sport. mildly rocky. snow drift 300 yards from the peak blocked the road, but you could get around it with a dual sport/4wd. came across some folks with a snow groomer plowing the road from the west, they very nearly have everything cleared. would definitely go again.

off road driving

Nice trail, really bumpy. We tried to go from Fairplay to Leadville but about 15 miles in and just before the summit there was a big snow drift across the road and we had to turn around. We have a lifted JK with 35s and would have attempted if we had someone with us who could have extracted us if we got stuck....Maybe it a couple of weeks.

We got 8. Miles in from the intersection of CR 7 and highway 24, before we ran into very derp snow covering the trail for as far as I could see, probably 1.5-2.0 miles froms summit. June 9, 2019

off road driving

Traveling from West to East, road is nice and easy travel. Due to deep snow, road is closed about a mile from the top. Met a couple people who are using a snow cat equipped with a plow to clear the road. They expect the road to open by the 4th of July! 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Easy drive but could not complete due to deep snow. Nice views

Thursday, June 28, 2018

Great time! My wife and I loved it. Her first drive (Wrangler Unlimited in 4H). We started in Leadville & drove through to Fairplay. It’s not challenging, but it’s very rough / rocky. The views are beautiful.

Sunday, June 10, 2018

Not many good camping spots or views, and the road was very rough. Other passes in the area are much better.

Monday, September 04, 2017

Started from the Leadville, Co side of the pass and it was a easy trail and had some good views.