West Tennessee Lakes Trail

West Tennessee Lakes Trail is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Red Cliff, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Leadville: Drive approximately 8 miles north of Leadville on Highway 24. Take a left on to Lake County Road 19 (Forest Road 100). Drive .9 miles to a fork and take the road to the left. From the fork the end of the road is 1.4 miles. Follow the road to the end, where the West Tennessee Lakes Trail Begins.

Beautiful hike. The directions are a little misleading. We parked by Lilly lake trailhead. It is quit a while until you get to the actual trailhead for West Tennessee lakes. It’s worth it though!

This was the best hike I did in 2017. We went in the middle of July. There is great dispersed camping before you reach the gate. Once you are at Lilly Lake you will need to walk the rest of the trail-you cannot drive to the point that the description shows as the trail head. So you will walk along the old road until it turns to the trail at the old parking lot. There were lots of insects when we went, so bug spray is a must in summer. The wildflowers were amazing! I felt like I was walking in a rainbow. The trail is easy and gradually goes up. Because the trail actually starts farther back, the hike was probably about 10-12 miles (we didn’t keep exact track). If you have high enough clearance you can park near Lilly lake. We parked farther down the road so it made the hike longer.

Friday, July 07, 2017

I don't think the directions are accurate here. I drove my 2wd 1.4 miles in on CR 19 and parked as couldn't drive further. Then I ran maybe 2 miles to Lily Lake and beyond to a gate, through the gate and on for a mile. This gate must be where the trail starts but there were no information signs.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Another good day for hiking. I hiked above the lakes to the pass.

Friday, July 08, 2011