West Spanish Peak Trail

West Spanish Peak Trail is a 7.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Aguilar, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from La Veta: Travel 20 miles south of La Veta on Highway 12. Turn east on Forest Road 46 and take it 6 miles to the summit of Cordova Pass. There is a trailhead sign here.

So easy. But nice views.

Fun climb, pay attention as you arrive at the large cairn at tree line, the trial appears to travel around the south side of the mountain, but it does not, head up the ridge line and you will find the next cairn.

Hiked at sunrise and made it to the summit in 2 1/2 hours. The trail is easy to moderate until you see a big cairn above tree line. From there it is a hard climb to the top, the last 1/2 mile was steep bouldering until the summit. The grind to the top is well worth it. The views are truly humbling. I was able to summit with no gear and tennis shoes, but hiking boots would have been nice. Even if you don't plan on making it to the top, there is a very nice look out view just above treeline. We also saw a pack of 15 big horned sheep halfway up the peak. So cool!!

Nice hike to tree line. Path gets obscured as you go up. Look for cairns to guide you to the path. Made it to the top. View is worth it. Path down is visible and considerably easier.

Easy trail until timberline. Due to cloud cover was hard funding the trail from timberline until, we reached an outcrop of rocks. Noticed some hiked the snow, but wasn't necessary today.

Beautiful view at the top. Part of the trail is still covered in snow that is very slick so be prepared to take it slow.

(Disclaimer: Probably would give it 4.5 stars.) This trail offers amazing views of the spanish peak wilderness and Sangre de cristo mountains all the way up. Once you get to the tree line the route is obscured. Don't get faked out by game trail across the scree to the right. I was was hiking solo and did get faked out. Once I saw some guys above I realized I was going the wrong direction. There is a huge pyramid of rocks that serves as a marker. Basically, with the rocks behind you looking up, you have to start climbing there (until the snow melts). It was a scramble up to the top while occasionally finding bits of trail. Saturday weather was absolutely perfect. No jacket required at summit and you could see the San Juan range in the distant west!

Great hike! While it is rated moderate, keep in mind that the first half is an easy hike through the forest and the second half is a significantly more difficult ascension up the mountain. The view at the end is incredible though and well worth it. I strongly recommend this hike in the early fall when the aspen are changing colors.

Friday, August 19, 2016

I would call this trail moderate to hard. The trail to tree line is pretty easy. Tree line the path becomes harder to find and if your afraid of heights that trail is not for you. I made it 12012 and my nerves and adrenaline got the best of me. So much for facing my fears but the rest of my group summit the mountain. Amazing views!

Monday, August 08, 2016

Tuesday, November 03, 2015

October 31st, 2015 climb. Left Trinidad at 6a. Met my uncle from Pueblo in La Veta at 7a. Didn't get to trail head until 7:45a; snow on the roads. There was 1 inch of snow the day before. Reached summit at 11a. Quite a bit of snow at the summit. Ate lunch behind some rocks to get cover from the wind. The trail was snow covered but we had sunshine and blue skies: beautiful. I'm an avid climber, but it was my uncle's first summit. Back to the car by about 1:30p.

Saturday, October 03, 2015