West Spanish Peak Trail is a 7.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near La Veta, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,624 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from La Veta: Travel 20 miles south of La Veta on Highway 12. Turn east on Forest Road 46 and take it 6 miles to the summit of Cordova Pass. There is a trailhead sign here.

Love this hike so much! Its a fantastic shakedown for a 14er, since it is 13,625 ft in elevation. I hiked it yesterday 5/23, and this was my 4th time in the last few years. Although it was incredibly cold and windy at the top, the overcast weather cleared 30 minutes after we left the summit so I'm guessing the folks who went up after us had a better time up top. We left Pueblo at 6:30am, began hiking at about 8:30 and summitted at noon. My friend and I definitely should have worn gloves and brought an extra top jacket layer. The trail conditions were good. The first 3 miles of the hike take you through forest and field, over slight hills. There were large piles of snow but the trail was completely dry. There is a beautiful lookout point about 2 miles in where you can get a stellar photo op of the peak. Those first 3 miles are a fantastic warmup for the last mile, which requires 1600 ft elevation gain over scree terrain. It is similar to a more technical Manitou Incline hike. The trail is marked with cairns but can be hard to follow since social trails have developed as people have found different ways to get up and down. There was no snow on this portion of the trail. Keep checking and looking for those cairns and you won't get too confused. Once you hit the dark blocky cliff-like rocks you are about 1/3 of the way through the last 1600 ft in elevation gain. It gets a bit steeper from here and my hiking poles really helped me knees. There is one weather shelter about 20 minutes from the false summit. If weather is bad this is a good place to stop and warm up before your final push. If you are going around this time of year there may be large piles of snow on top of the false summit. Keep to the LEFT and you will find a second small weather shelter. The real summit is 100yds East of this second weather shelter, and is marked by a large cairn pile. The views up top are so amazing and if the weather permits I highly suggest exploring all over the top of the peak - go East for views of East Spanish Peak, and look down to see the geographical dikes that fan out from the mountain. Happy hiking!

Solid hike, good blend of length and elevation gain. Took me 3hrs and 10 minutes, but I was moving fast because of the cold wind. I got to the trailhead at 9:30 AM- the lot was full but there was plenty of parking along the road. Take your time on the descent. There are lots of loose rocks making it easy to slip, or worse by sending rocks tumbling towards those hiking below.

This one is definitely a challenge. The first 3 miles are nice and pretty easy, but that last mile is 1600 feet vertical gain.Its not as hard as some mountains but it is hard. Look for dirt paths and cairns on your way up, if you go too far right you will have issues. Some snow but you can walk around it, almost no snow on actual mountain.

The trail up to West Peak is dry. Cordova Pass is open and %100 dry.

Great hike, the last 1,500 ft is fairly steep and rock scramble. We summited and return to the car in 4hrs and 40 mins and landed at 8.25 miles round trip. Excellent 360 views!!

The trail to tree line is awesome and fun. Toward the peak is another story very rocky and can easily twist an ankle or fall both going up and down. The view is awesome up top and is worth it.

Absolutely gorgeous hike! The road up to Cordova pass was a little slippery/muddy in places for a 2WD van, but manageable; narrow in places due to snow drifts. One other party at the campground on Friday night. Completed the hike, Saturday, 4/25, only saw 2 people on our descent. The snowdrifts in the woods below treeline were mostly hardpack and easy to navigate, although it will probably get muddy in the coming weeks as it melts. Little snow above treeline; the trail was mostly easy to find, with lots of cairns. You're rewarded with some pretty incredible views for most of the hike. The summit was windy and super cold, but we were warm for most of the rest. Began at 5:45 am, summitted around 9:00 am, completed at 11:00 am. We accidently left our hiking shoes (mens Mammut boots and womens Soloman trail runners) in the parking lot and they were gone by the time we returned to get them. Please contact weaversara13 @ gmail.com if found.

Was a harder hike

Fantastic hiking experience, outstanding views. Just be ready to climb 1,600 vertical feet (STEEP!) over the last mile...in loose scree. The descent isn’t any easier, great opportunity to twist a knee or ankle. Staying focused will get you up and down, happy and healthy.

alot of fun took a huge group there is a bear sign but we say nothing but a huge rabbit. worth the work at the top dont give up.

Ein sehr schöner Trail. 3/4 des Weges gehen gemütlich durch den Wald. Nach den Erreichen der Baumgrenze wird es steil und steinig. Der Anstieg zum Gipfel über Schotter und Geröll ist ziemlich anstrengend, auch für erfahrene Wanderer. Das Wetter war wolkig und kurz vor dem Gipfel zog ein Unwetter auf. Regen, Donner und Blitze haben wir von Gipfel beobachtet und vorbei ziehen sehen. Wir hatten je ca 3 Liter Wasser und warme Kleidung für den Gipfel dabei. Den gesamten Trail haben wir in 6,5 Stunden mit vielen Pausen abgeschlossen (Alter 22-33). Auch wenn man es nicht bis zum Gipfel schafft, der Ausblick von der Baumgrenze ist bereits atemberaubend.

Just a wonderful hike. Nice lush forest for the first part Then a rock scramble towards the top. We didn’t quite make it to the very top due to incoming storm. Barely made it off the face before a hail storm started.

Good 2WD accessible Forest Road 146 up to Cordova Pass. Cordova Pass is at 11,200 ft and this is where the trailhead and some nice camping areas are. In the future I would like to camp here and go up early to West Spanish Peak. I left the trailhead at 9:00 am and made it to treeline by 10:30 (2.5 miles) and then up on the summit by 12:30. The talisfields are a bit tricky and hard on the knees but it's nearly impossible to get lost with the cairns there. It's windy on the ridge so trekking poles highly recommended. I don't think I could have done it without them.

The actual climb, after the tree line, is rather strenous and uncomfortable because of the rocky terrain, and the lack of oxygen (or maybe I'm out of shape...). Nevertheless, the summit views are well worth the effort. Highly reccomended!

I really liked this hike. As others have said its a walk in the park until tree line. Of course the park is at 12,000 feet so its not that easy for a flatlander like me. See my video of the hike here: https://youtu.be/2VFtqSe1Q2A

it's a beautiful trail, but once you reach the tree line it gets difficult. You will be climbing up on just rocks. for the last mile I would say.

Great hike every year!!

Only attempt if you are comfortable scrambling up rocks for a long time. Super fun hike. Last 0.75 miles is very strenuous. Bring at least 4L of water

Walk through the woods for the first 3/4 of it and then you pretty much climb straight up. Weather changes quick but right now is the perfect time to goo. Cordova Pass trailhead wasn’t too crowded. Give yourself a good half a day to do it.

Great trail with many different views along the way. Easy hike to the timberline took us about an hour. We have heard that Cuchara schedules a sunset hike to the timberline periodically. The 2 hour hike to the top was well marked this year but challenging. We stayed to the left on the ridge on the way up. This was our third time up and it gets a little easier each time. We will take poles for the next trip. Go early to avoid the early afternoon storms that form quickly. We started the trail at 6:30 and made the round trip in less than 6 hours with long pauses at the timberline and summit. Total moving time showed 4:16.

recorded Recording - Jul 17, 01:30 PM

Stay on the ridge above treeline

challenging trail, very steep. camped right across the trailhead, arrived around 7 pm Friday and got the last campsite. trail took us 6 hours, I used trekking poles and slipped a couple times on the way down.