West Spanish Peak Trail

West Spanish Peak Trail is a 7.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Aguilar, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from La Veta: Travel 20 miles south of La Veta on Highway 12. Turn east on Forest Road 46 and take it 6 miles to the summit of Cordova Pass. There is a trailhead sign here.

A really beautiful trail in a really pretty part of Colorado. Easy trail til the tree line then pretty much straight up. Snow on the trail but not too bad. Above treeline no snow at all. Really windy as a storm front was pushing in from the west.

Great hike.

The hike is an easy trail to the tree line with some gradual climbs before breaking out. Lots of birds but not much other wildlife in mid-October. From the tree line, up it is hard. The day I hiked it was windy and noisy and about 40F at the tree line. The hike is just on the edge of a break in the terrain, and I could stay out of the wind. If I wanted to move over to see to the NW I could barely stand up due to the wind. The trail is well marked with rock cairns nearly every 50’ (they had a lot of rocks to choose from!). Solid sole shoes/boots are a must as it is entirely rock. I was thankful to have a walking stick on the way down. I missed the sheep, but saw a pika. With the wind, the birds would fly by at rocket speed. At about 13120 the trail ventures closer to the edge and steepens. I was about blown down by a gust so I decided to call it a day.
I am not a power hiker, just persistent. I would allow 6 hours round trip. If you are in great shape and acclimated to the altitude I’m sure it can be done much faster, but why? The views are fantastic. A success in my book anytime!

Great hike!! We did not make it to the top but just to the tree line. Dark was fast approaching and I suffered from some altitude sickness. We will return!! Lots of big mushrooms and we found some wild berries. We even got to watch the storm role in over the mountains.

Awesome hike! Bring plenty of water and a snack for the summit and tree line as well. Boots are a must! My 12 and 13 year olds made it to the top but dealt with altitude sickness. This is tough but do able. Take baby steps and enjoy the summit. Beautiful!

So easy. But nice views.

Fun climb, pay attention as you arrive at the large cairn at tree line, the trial appears to travel around the south side of the mountain, but it does not, head up the ridge line and you will find the next cairn.

Hiked at sunrise and made it to the summit in 2 1/2 hours. The trail is easy to moderate until you see a big cairn above tree line. From there it is a hard climb to the top, the last 1/2 mile was steep bouldering until the summit. The grind to the top is well worth it. The views are truly humbling. I was able to summit with no gear and tennis shoes, but hiking boots would have been nice. Even if you don't plan on making it to the top, there is a very nice look out view just above treeline. We also saw a pack of 15 big horned sheep halfway up the peak. So cool!!

Nice hike to tree line. Path gets obscured as you go up. Look for cairns to guide you to the path. Made it to the top. View is worth it. Path down is visible and considerably easier.

Easy trail until timberline. Due to cloud cover was hard funding the trail from timberline until, we reached an outcrop of rocks. Noticed some hiked the snow, but wasn't necessary today.