West Spanish Peak Trail

West Spanish Peak Trail is a 7.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Aguilar, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from La Veta: Travel 20 miles south of La Veta on Highway 12. Turn east on Forest Road 46 and take it 6 miles to the summit of Cordova Pass. There is a trailhead sign here.

My all time favorite mountain (despite it being a few hundred feet short of being a fourteener)! I absolutely love the Spanish Peaks Wilderness in general and West Spanish Peak is the pinnacle of this region's beauty. The first part of the hike is quite easy and gradually ascends through the forest until you reach treeline. After treeline, the hike gets abundantly more difficult. The trail is mostly easy to decipher on your way up but at times you may have to look for cairns. You pretty much trudge straight up through the talus and scree with the occasional switchback here and there. I would definitely recommend poles for balance and security on some of the trickier, steeper parts of which there are quite a few. Traction devices may be necessary if you're hiking before April/May or after October. The 360 view from the top is incredibly beautiful- particularly looking toward the Sangre de Cristo Range immediately to the southwest. East Spanish Peak is also gorgeous to view from this summit and you really get an expansive perspective on this wonderful area of southern Colorado, my favorite part of our state!

This was a nice hike. I had long wanted to summit this peak, having often admired it while going over La Veta Pass. On the mountain proper, it gets pretty steep and the footing can be a little loose and wobbly in places. Be careful! Trekking poles add stability.

Beautiful trail that gets challenging above the tree line. It was cold and VERY windy, but very little snow or ice.

A really beautiful trail in a really pretty part of Colorado. Easy trail til the tree line then pretty much straight up. Snow on the trail but not too bad. Above treeline no snow at all. Really windy as a storm front was pushing in from the west.

Great hike.

The hike is an easy trail to the tree line with some gradual climbs before breaking out. Lots of birds but not much other wildlife in mid-October. From the tree line, up it is hard. The day I hiked it was windy and noisy and about 40F at the tree line. The hike is just on the edge of a break in the terrain, and I could stay out of the wind. If I wanted to move over to see to the NW I could barely stand up due to the wind. The trail is well marked with rock cairns nearly every 50’ (they had a lot of rocks to choose from!). Solid sole shoes/boots are a must as it is entirely rock. I was thankful to have a walking stick on the way down. I missed the sheep, but saw a pika. With the wind, the birds would fly by at rocket speed. At about 13120 the trail ventures closer to the edge and steepens. I was about blown down by a gust so I decided to call it a day.
I am not a power hiker, just persistent. I would allow 6 hours round trip. If you are in great shape and acclimated to the altitude I’m sure it can be done much faster, but why? The views are fantastic. A success in my book anytime!

Great hike!! We did not make it to the top but just to the tree line. Dark was fast approaching and I suffered from some altitude sickness. We will return!! Lots of big mushrooms and we found some wild berries. We even got to watch the storm role in over the mountains.

Awesome hike! Bring plenty of water and a snack for the summit and tree line as well. Boots are a must! My 12 and 13 year olds made it to the top but dealt with altitude sickness. This is tough but do able. Take baby steps and enjoy the summit. Beautiful!

So easy. But nice views.

Fun climb, pay attention as you arrive at the large cairn at tree line, the trial appears to travel around the south side of the mountain, but it does not, head up the ridge line and you will find the next cairn.

Hiked at sunrise and made it to the summit in 2 1/2 hours. The trail is easy to moderate until you see a big cairn above tree line. From there it is a hard climb to the top, the last 1/2 mile was steep bouldering until the summit. The grind to the top is well worth it. The views are truly humbling. I was able to summit with no gear and tennis shoes, but hiking boots would have been nice. Even if you don't plan on making it to the top, there is a very nice look out view just above treeline. We also saw a pack of 15 big horned sheep halfway up the peak. So cool!!

Nice hike to tree line. Path gets obscured as you go up. Look for cairns to guide you to the path. Made it to the top. View is worth it. Path down is visible and considerably easier.

Easy trail until timberline. Due to cloud cover was hard funding the trail from timberline until, we reached an outcrop of rocks. Noticed some hiked the snow, but wasn't necessary today.

Beautiful view at the top. Part of the trail is still covered in snow that is very slick so be prepared to take it slow.

(Disclaimer: Probably would give it 4.5 stars.) This trail offers amazing views of the spanish peak wilderness and Sangre de cristo mountains all the way up. Once you get to the tree line the route is obscured. Don't get faked out by game trail across the scree to the right. I was was hiking solo and did get faked out. Once I saw some guys above I realized I was going the wrong direction. There is a huge pyramid of rocks that serves as a marker. Basically, with the rocks behind you looking up, you have to start climbing there (until the snow melts). It was a scramble up to the top while occasionally finding bits of trail. Saturday weather was absolutely perfect. No jacket required at summit and you could see the San Juan range in the distant west!

Friday, October 07, 2016

Great hike! While it is rated moderate, keep in mind that the first half is an easy hike through the forest and the second half is a significantly more difficult ascension up the mountain. The view at the end is incredible though and well worth it. I strongly recommend this hike in the early fall when the aspen are changing colors.

Friday, August 19, 2016

I would call this trail moderate to hard. The trail to tree line is pretty easy. Tree line the path becomes harder to find and if your afraid of heights that trail is not for you. I made it 12012 and my nerves and adrenaline got the best of me. So much for facing my fears but the rest of my group summit the mountain. Amazing views!

Tuesday, November 03, 2015

October 31st, 2015 climb. Left Trinidad at 6a. Met my uncle from Pueblo in La Veta at 7a. Didn't get to trail head until 7:45a; snow on the roads. There was 1 inch of snow the day before. Reached summit at 11a. Quite a bit of snow at the summit. Ate lunch behind some rocks to get cover from the wind. The trail was snow covered but we had sunshine and blue skies: beautiful. I'm an avid climber, but it was my uncle's first summit. Back to the car by about 1:30p.

Saturday, February 11, 2017