West Maroon Trail

West Maroon Trail is a 12.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Aspen, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Aspen: Drive 1/2 mile west of Aspen on Highway 82 and turn left onto Maroon Creek Road at the roundabout. Keep right and continue 9 1/2 miles to the Maroon Lake Parking Area.From mid-June through September, the Maroon Creek Road is closed from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and you will need to take a shuttle bus from Ruby Park in Aspen. The bus includes an informative guided tour of the valley. Contact the Roaring Fork Transit Agency at 925-8484 for more information.

Such a wonderful hike! Beautiful views throughout, moderately challenging, with quite a bit of wildlife (mule deer, marmot, pica, birds/hawks). It was pretty snowy while hiking over the pass, so make sure to bring at least poles +/- crampons. Make sure to get transportation EARLY through Dolly's or Alpine Express, as they run out of permits weeks/months ahead of your trip ($20 each way/person). The Aspen to CB hike is much harder than the way back, so I would recommend going from Aspen to CB, staying a few nights to enjoy the charm of CB, and hike back. You can get a shuttle to take you back or transport your car to CB from Aspen, but I think this is a waste of money and a missed opportunity to enjoy an absolutely beautiful hike. It is about 2/3 downhill on the way back, and much easier than the way to CB. Don't be lazy, finish the loop, and hike back :)

As an aside, rent a hardtail mountain bike and do the Lupine Trail to the Lower Loop trail. Such an awesome ride with gorgeous scenery throughout! It took me a couple hours, but I stopped to take a bunch of pictures. I rented a bike up at the Elevation Hotel for $35/half day (maybe a bit more expensive than in town, but higher up the hill and closer to the trail). Throw your bike on the free shuttle that goes through town and up the hill, and do it a few times if you wish!

Happy hiking!

Beautiful trail! Heads up at the first creek crossing....easily missed. Just check your map. Trail is well/heavily traveled so it is noticeably obvious except in the scree.
Highly recommend *

Did this hike about a week ago and it was just beautiful!
We started our hike at around 07:45 am at Maroon Lake Parking Area. There were quite a few people around Maroon Lake taking pictures of Maroon Bells in the morning sun which was just stunning. The trail to Crater Lake seems to be very popular as well but after that you won't see too many people anymore. The trail itself is not very steep but it is a constant incline and that combined with the mileage makes for a pretty significant hike. We usually hike at a very relaxed pace so this hike took us about 8.5 hrs to complete and needless to say I was very happy to be back at the car! That being said, the scenery is incredible all the way to the pass (and back of course) and I highly recommend the hike!

Just one more tip: If you plan on camping at one of the campsites on Maroon Creek Road and didn't make a reservation online you better be there early (they start giving away the few walk up spots at 7am)! When we got there in the afternoon every single campsite around Aspen was completely full with a lot of people driving around trying to get a spot so keep that in mind.

Even though we walked this the first weekend of September, the wildflowers in the Meadows were still in bloom. It is a great hike with mountain views and generally good signage. One note: we missed the turn to cross to the west bank of the river, so be sure to review the end-to-end route. We hiked Aspen to CB and once we left Crater Lake, we only saw a few other hikers. The rating is entirely about elevation gain, as the trail itself is only challenging for short sections in the primary ascent to the pass.

This was a beautiful trail and definitely a good workout! We did this trail Aug 11-12. We started in Aspen and camped overnight just past Crater Lake. We hiked the rest of the trail in the morning and got to the trailhead in Crested Butte around 2 pm. If you're not planning on hiking back, ARRANGE A SHUTTLE AHEAD OF TIME! The drive from Crested Butte to Aspen is 3 hours. We tried to use Dollys shuttle service to transport us from Crested Butte back to Aspen but never received a call back. We called multiple times and left several voicemails but never once received a call back from Dolly's. I emailed the owner to tell him about the poor customer service and he was very rude. I would not recommend them, however, there are not a lot of other options so do your research ahead of time. Overall beautiful trail. Tough and muddy in spots but the views are worth it. The wildflowers on the Crested Butte side where absolutely beautiful.

Took the Crested Butte to Aspen route to avoid the additional 1,000 feet of elevation gain and my legs were sure glad I did. We camped off of Slate River Rd (734) at a dispersed campsite so we were able to drive to the trail head since Gothic Rd (317) is still partially closed from the avalanche and down trees. The flowers on the CB side are incredible while the Aspen side was muddy and busy. Definitely a premier Colorado hike.

Hiked Aspen to Crested Butte and then back the next day. Beautiful hike, the wildflowers are fully in blown especially on the Crested Butte side. It's muddy with several creek crossings. Hiking poles will be helpful for the steep and rocky parts. If you arrange for a shuttle through Dolly's Shuttle on the Crested Butte side you can avoid the 2 extra miles from the avalanche.

Hiked from Aspen to Crested Butte on July 15... very muddy and the extra 2.5 miles from the avalanche covering Gothic Road were killer. With that said, it was breathtaking and like no other hike! It's worth it for the mountains, the snow, and the wildflowers. And the Aspen side is very different from the CB side. Beautiful.

I hiked Aspen to CB. The views and flowers were amazing. I have never seen such spectacular flowers as I did on the CB side.
1. Bring water shoes. There is still a stream crossing this year that's about 2ft deep;cold and slippery. I used a pole to help my balance after watching 2 people slip and fall in.

2. Aspen side had a lot of mud and water. I recommend high top waterproof boots. This is different than other years. Typically trail isn't so wet and muddy.

3. Shuttle has worked out an option so you don't have to walk the 2 miles to and from the snow slide to catch it.