West Fork to Courthouse Mountain

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(27)
Uncompahgre National Forest

West Fork to Courthouse Mountain is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ridgway, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,811 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Very wonderful hike. Being a Floridian who wants to hike a 14er, it was suggested that I do Courthouse first. So glad I have. The last 500 feet or so are a bit tricky as I was crawling up on my belly in some areas, and then sliding down those same areas going down. Amazing view from the top, and great trail all the way in. Many wildflowers, birds, butterflies and other critters, including some Pika near the top, which are highly endangered.

Awesome trail, amazing views!

There was some snow; however it was still fine for passing. We did not do the very end to the top because it was steep and a rock scrambling section only. Great views!

Hiked this trail today! It was really muddy and made it complicated to get to the top. Snow in a lot of sections, so be careful. Enjoyed the views and the good time.

Mon Jan 28 2019

One of my favorite hikes! Always worth the quick elevation gain! Amazing panorama from the very top! I have done this hike many times!

Sat Jul 07 2018

Awesome trail and vistas!! The last 100 yards or so... a real bummer, rocky and steep.

Sat Jun 23 2018

My smart phone & smart watch stated 3.8 miles round trip in almost exactly 4 hours (4h, 37 total with breaks). I made it ALMOST to the top. Had to stop just after getting into the “rocks only” section due to my heavier hiking boots. I should of dropped my pack and it probably would have been fine. If I do it again, I’ll do that or bring lighter, more deft shoes for that small section.

Fri Jun 15 2018

Quite difficult but amazing trail. Road to trailhead can be bumpy and a little treacherous but we made due with a 2WD vehicle. Some definite rock scrambling, but the views were breathtaking.

Mon Aug 07 2017

Love this mountain range! Beautiful views and so peaceful. We saw a handful of people on the trail which gave this hike a 5 star for solitude. A recommendation is trekking poles. It had rained the night before and left the trail very muddy and slippery. With the steep incline it made it a more difficult hike. Note to dog owners keep them leashed please. Every person we saw with a dog didn't have a leash. This trail has many steep drop offs and blind corners. One dog surprised us on a corner and scared us and him and became aggressive and lunged towards us before the owner could even get his hands on him.

Wed Oct 05 2016

this is my favorite hike so far

Sun Aug 14 2016

Great hike. Mostly up as the other reviews say. Trailhead is somewhat difficult to find as it is shaded in a grove of trees not immediately adjacent to the road. If you get to the rougher 4wd road you have gone too far. Scrambling near the summit can be difficult, especially if wet. I do not recommend dogs on the upper part to the summit. Awesome views, just spectacular.

Sat Jul 16 2016

This hike was hard! But the views are worth it and so is the solitude. We saw three people the whole time we were on the trail

Wed Jan 22 2014

An elevation gain of 1852 ft in just 1.8 miles! Strenuous, but the majestic views make up for this demanding hike.

Sun Sep 30 2018