Learn more

West Creek Falls [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(152)
Rocky Mountain National Park

West Creek Falls is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and snowshoeing and is best used from April until November.

Distance: 4.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,394 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information.

icy

Hiked on 2.21.20. I wasn’t the first one on the trail so it wasn’t hard to navigate. Didn’t see another soul until I ran into the group ahead of me at the falls. I was grateful to have my spikes and poles but showshoes wouldn’t have been bad either. It’s definitely a moderate hike and a good workout in the winter! The first downhill stretch (and especially coming back up it) is fairly challenging—the snow isn’t as packed on that side since it doesn’t see the sun. Beautiful hike if the weather is nice though, I’d definitely recommend it.

I hiked this on Sunday, January 12 and it was lovely! We used yak tracks and they were helpful for most of the trail. We considered taking snow shoes but were glad we didn’t overall. The south facing side of the mountain has some icy patches but is mostly just a big climb. Once you descend on the northside, prepare for snow! Again, we were fine in our yak tracks because the snow was well packed. It flattens out and you enter the park and then the West Falls view is an additional little spur. I echo other reviews to follow “north boundary” signs until you see the West Falls option. We thought all of the signs were great and helpful, and had no trouble staying on the path. We didn’t see a single soul out there! The falls were gorgeous. Clocked at 5 mi and some change round trip; about 2.5 hours. It was a sunny 35 degree day and we were comfortable in a pair of pants, a base layer top, down jacket, and hat/gloves/buff. Happy winter hiking folks!! :)

recorded West Creek Falls

Round trip it’s 5 miles. Snow was mid calf on the back side. Didn’t have snowshoes. Didn’t need them. Took us 4 hours.

We did this trail two days ago, on Saturday 10/19. My recording app had it at 5.04mi total, and it took us 2 hours and 35 minutes to complete, plus some extra time hanging out by the waterfall. The parking area is very small, but we got there around 10am and had no issues getting a spot. The trail starts by walking past the cabins, and then follow the sign that says Northbound Trail. It is pretty steep for the first mile or so because you go straight up the mountain, and then straight down the other side. The cascading waterfalls are absolutely gorgeous. We saw hardly any other people the entire hike. There was no snow or ice anywhere on the trail. A bit strenuous, but beautiful hike!

My boyfriend & I hiked this trail yesterday (10/15/19) & it may be our favorite so far. If you’re looking for something that’s a little more low key & not heavily trafficked, this trail is just that. We got to the trailhead early & there were only a few other people there. It is the Cow Creek trailhead but it can be confusing when you get there since the signs make no mention of West Creek Falls. We followed the map in the AllTrails app & it led us in the right direction. You have to go up past the building, past the small cabins & make a right to follow the trail up the hill (I think it was labeled Northbound trail, or something similar). It’s a steep incline for about a mile (we took a few breaks to catch our breath) then the view at the top is incredible. After that, you head down the back half of the mountain, which is a little steep & still icy/snowy in spots but manageable. After you cross the creek, it’s a pretty easy hike the rest of the way to the falls. The falls are spectacular & not to be missed! The hike took us around 3.5-4 hours with stopping for a snack at the falls, stopping for pics & quick breathers. We saw a few other people on our way back but it was pretty peaceful & serene the entire time, making this our favorite trail so far!

It took my boyfriend & I 8 hours to hike to the falls, have lunch & make it back to the parking area. Only passed 1 person. We had to break A LOT for water & to breathe/rest, as we are just acclimated to trekking flat, Texas trails. There was also a great deal of snow on the decent to the creek, so slippery on some spots that I crash landed twice. The fork to the falls was not marked - it was a good thing we studied the map & had google maps for help. Before hiking here we read many reviews stating that it’s hard in some places but worth it, that kept us going/motivated. It was pretty difficult at times & easy others. It was sooooooooo beautiful!!!!!! BRING PROTEIN & LOTS OF WATER.

A really great short trail. straight up to start and over the mountain..then nice along river. No one on the trail! extremely quiet.. beautiful! tough ascends and decends...highly recommend for those who like off the beaten path.

Never could find TH. Google maps kept taking me to Cow Head.

Great hike - lots of water over the falls even this late in the season. No bathrooms, tiny parking lot - arrive early!

Great shorter hike, steep at the beginning, levels off for awhile but coming back is a little harder. The waterfalls are gorgeous. I went 9/3rd, parked at 7am and there were only 3 cars parked, left around 930 and it was packed. I didn’t see anyone on my hike up or while hanging out at the falls. I did see about 10 people on my way back.

Limited Parking so get there early. Well worth the initial climb to make it to the end and see the falls. I did the whole hike with my 17 month old on my back with plenty of breaks in 2:45.

Falls make this one worth it!!

Steep at the beginning and even steeper on the way out, cool waterfall set at the end of the trail. The only people I saw were going further upstream for research work, and a couple showed up for 5 minutes and left.

Great hike and beautiful falls at the end. We took a quick dip - very cold but doable. We went on a Tuesday (8/20/19) and there were three spots available at 11 when we arrived.

First time using this App and the Record feature and so glad we did! The notification feature helped us get back on the trail when we took a wrong turn. I almost hate to say how beautiful this hike was, because I don’t want to let the secret out! Stunning and challenging...and secluded to boot! We had the waterfall to ourselves for over an hour! Definitely the trail less traveled!

Awesome little trail. Elevation didnt kill me but I did have to take a few breather breaks. We did run across a few hikers coming out while we were going in and one group was kind enough to refill my water bottle for me (which really helped). Small falls at the end but we had it all to ourselves and there were fish. Winning.

This is an awesome hike. Always remember to turn off your recording when finished. We finished the trail in 5.2 miles. We had three backpackers ask for a ride to Lumpy Ridge Trailhead and I forgot to turn off the recording.

This was a beautiful hike, and probably the least crowded I have seen in RMNP. I hiked this in the afternoon on July 5th and only saw one other person on the trail. Very steep incline at the beginning, then immediate decline down to the creek where it levels off for the second half of the trip out. The wildflowers are excellent (tons of huge Columbine in July). I tried to hike it in late June but got caught in a storm and didn’t get to finish. However, I did get far enough to see that the downhill portion after the steep incline was covered in HUNDREDS of fairy slippers - a rare sight. The waterfall was worth the second trip to finish the hike. Definitely recommend, especially if you’re looking to escape the crowds.

Fantastic hike. Wild flowers all the way. About half of the hike is next to West Creek, so sound of water was lovely. Falls are beautiful too. Only encountered 3 people on hike. Parking area holds 12 cars. We arrived at 6:30 on Saturday and were 9th.

Hiked in late July starting in the afternoon. Took about 3 hours but we spent a lot of time at the waterfall. Which was amazing! Awesome trail! Definately moderate with the first mile or so being the steepest. Only saw 10 or so people. Would recommend to any decent hiker!

There is the big elevation change in the beginning/end of the hike, which was tough for an east coaster. But the whole hike was so beautiful and the falls are wonderful. Very peaceful, few people on the trail even midday.