West Branch Trail

West Branch Trail is a 12.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Red Feather Lakes, Colorado that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and snowshoeing. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Fort Collins: Travel west on Highway 14, about 66 miles then travel north on County Road 103 approximately 6 miles to the trailhead.

Absolutely wonderful trail ran out of time to finish but definitely be back to yak to the end

I did this the last week of June. The snow is all gone! I'd recommend waterproof boots as you'll have 2 river crossings as well as a couple streams. Also, every now and then you'll run into mud. The trail is mellow for awhile, then you hit the last stretch to the top and that'll be a tough ascent (going to island lake). One last thing, there is a fire ban in effect so double check if it's still in place before you go out!

Hiked about to mile 6 on 6/21/18. Lots of runofff. Wet trail the day I was on it. Snow after mile 6. Wildflowers are out and proud.
Mostly pack packers (4) and a Poudre Trail Volunteer. Overall the trail is in good shape and more vibrant than mid summer. Enjoy if you can.

Snow near the top around mile 5-6. Snow patches in North facing trees that stays lte into summer makes getting to the lake wet work with plenty of post holeling. Excellent trail, don't let it discourage you!

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Loved it! We branched off to the Rawah Trail and then then Twin Crater Lakes. We went at the end of June and there was still a lot of snow up by Crater lakes. On West Branch Trail you have to cross the river. I really wish I would have had my Tevas!!

Monday, August 03, 2015

I think this trail and the loop was one of the best trails I've ever hiked. water proof shoes are a must! beautiful scenery, saw a few deer, and breath taking views at the top. do it!

Friday, September 06, 2013

I backpacked a ~20 mile loop that connects the West Branch Trail to the Rawah Trailhead. Highly recommended for the route's excellent scenery, 10+ lakes along the trail, and a good summit about halfway through. This hike can be looped in either direction, and completed in 1-2 nights, or as a long day hike. Begin at the Tunnel Campground at Roosevelt National Forrest just outside of Fort Collins down Poudre Canyon.

I attached a link to the trail route.

Friday, April 20, 2012

Most of the trail is in a valley. Did see some wildlife and few campers. I tried fly fishing some of the alpine lakes at the top, but to no avail. Would like to get back to try some of the connecting trails.

Thursday, September 10, 2015