West Branch Trail

West Branch Trail is a 13 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Red Feather Lakes, Colorado that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and snowshoeing. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Fort Collins: Travel west on Highway 14, about 66 miles then travel north on County Road 103 approximately 6 miles to the trailhead.

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Loved it! We branched off to the Rawah Trail and then then Twin Crater Lakes. We went at the end of June and there was still a lot of snow up by Crater lakes. On West Branch Trail you have to cross the river. I really wish I would have had my Tevas!!

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Monday, August 03, 2015

I think this trail and the loop was one of the best trails I've ever hiked. water proof shoes are a must! beautiful scenery, saw a few deer, and breath taking views at the top. do it!

Friday, September 06, 2013

I backpacked a ~20 mile loop that connects the West Branch Trail to the Rawah Trailhead. Highly recommended for the route's excellent scenery, 10+ lakes along the trail, and a good summit about halfway through. This hike can be looped in either direction, and completed in 1-2 nights, or as a long day hike. Begin at the Tunnel Campground at Roosevelt National Forrest just outside of Fort Collins down Poudre Canyon.

I attached a link to the trail route.

Friday, April 20, 2012

Most of the trail is in a valley. Did see some wildlife and few campers. I tried fly fishing some of the alpine lakes at the top, but to no avail. Would like to get back to try some of the connecting trails.