Well Gulch Natural Trail

Well Gulch Natural Trail is a 1.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Bellvue, Colorado that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Wildflowers and riparian ecosystem line this plush 1.4 mile trail. A self-guided nature tour takes you through the meadow, mountain shrub, Douglas fir, and ponderosa ecosystems, with stations along the way illustrating botany, geology and animal life in Lory State Park. For those looking for a longer hike, the trail branches off into the Timber and Overlook Trails.

This trail is lovely and full of wildflowers. If you’re seeking more of a challenge you can venture onward to Timber Trail (just be cautious of mountain bikers). It wasn’t too heavily trafficked, probably depends on the day/time you decide to go. The weather was beautiful — no mud, ice or anything to be on the lookout for. Highly recommended!

One of my favorite hikes to do when I need a good workout but don't want to travel too far out of town. I usually start at Well Gulch trail and work my way to Timber trail, head up the mountain and head to Arthurs Rock. Then I loop around the back side of the park on Howard Trail and Westridge Trail which end up connecting me back to Timber Trail and I head back down the mountain. In total I end up with around 9 miles and 1900ft elevation gain. The Well Gulch portion of this hike is easy, lots of shade and beautiful spring and summer wildflowers. If you are coming winter to early spring traction devices are recommended. This is a wet area with lots of shade and LOTS of ice.

Pretty icy right now - be sure to bring the yak trax!

Beautiful trail and it connects to other trails in Lory

perfect length and level for my 4 and 6 yr old kids. There are rocky areas to maneuver over, but it made the trail fun.

Good trail to take kids. We went slower than I'd like but my 4 year old was able to hike most of it. You can take this trail to outlook trail to add another 1.2 miles.

Great hike with beautiful views. Gets your blood pumping in some spots but also has cool down areas. Didn't actually do the loop and ended up finishing on Arthur's Rock trail.. ended up being 2.5-3 miles. Only downside is we had to walk about a mile on the road back to the car, which we wouldn't have had to do if we stayed on the loop trail.

Nice hike. Hike leans toward moderate because it's a continuous climb to the summit. Only passed three other people on the trail. Nice views a long the way and especially at the top. Our dog Max enjoyed the hike also.

Nice hike for families. A little challenging toward the start but eases up. Good workout and some great views of Horsetooth/Fort Collins.

I hike this a lot when I volunteer at LSP with the Education programs as a Nature Interpretive Guide. It gets pretty rocky around the waterfall until you reach the transition to the Ponderosa Pine forest. It's a continual climb in elevation until you emerge from that. Then theres some up and down sections before reaching another summit with breath taking views. Be careful descending in any of the downhill areas, especially if conditions are exceptionally muddy, or even dry since loose stones and the slick dust can be just as unstable as slippery as mud can be.
There is great biodiversity of the plant life on this trail! The wildflowers are spectacular from Spring to Fall. Be sure to stop a moment to notice the smell of the Ponderosa Pine trees. Wet your nose a bit so it intensifies the scent. Not everyone interprets the scent the same way. Be on the look out for the Abert or Black Tufted Ear squirrels, who love to munch on the Pine trees.
You may encounter Deer, Wild turkeys or catch a fleeting glimpse of a bear, or a number of other woodland critters. From Spring to early Sept, you'll hear the trill of humming birds for sure!
If you take your dog, keep it on a leash and take the waste baggie WITH you! Leaving it on the trail is litter, and a danger to the wildlife! It's also gross.
I recommend a walking stick for anyone who has ankle, knee, or other joint issues. Also, use one if you aren't as sure footed as you were when you were a youngster.
Parts of this trail are shared, so be aware. Also be snake aware.

I took my dogs to hike here today and it was a great little trek! Loads of different butterflies as all sorts of flowers! There are lots of narrow trails and water. The little creek beds or whatever they are. Good for a rest ! Once you get to the top you can see a huge portion of the gorgeous Horsetooth Reservoir!

Beautiful views at the top. Streams and tiny waterfalls. Didn't see many people on the trails. Would go again.

Nice mix of timber, stream, rocks and long views of meadows and horsetooth reservoir. Not too much traffic. Park facilities nearby if needed. Pair it with another trail in Lory for a good day. Will return.

Saturday, June 24, 2017

My husband and I hiked here on our anniversary 5/21 and it was a nice trail, but a bit muddy and icy depending on the elevation. Some down trees we had to navigate around in icy areas. Beautiful views.

Thursday, June 15, 2017

Diverse, great for kids, views near the end, lots of wildlife. Perfect family hike!

Sunday, June 04, 2017

With snow and a toddler, it's not that easy.

Monday, May 29, 2017

This was our first with my 4yo and it was absolutely perfect. The trail was easy to maneuver and clearly marked. It is the perfect distance for an active little person. Right at about 100 yards from the car he said he was tired. It was a great day!

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Very nice trail, nobody was there today. Short and diverse with beautiful pines.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

An easy hike on a pretty smooth trail. a couple of steam crossings. was glad I had my pole with me for balance. I'll be back to run this trail for sure.
this app says dogs must be on leash, but others we met said they can be off leash if they follow voice commands. a lot of dogs were off leash. beware.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

A beautiful, easy hike

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Gorgeous views. Trail pretty icy.

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Beautiful in the snow

Saturday, February 11, 2017

This trail was a blast! There's a pretty steep incline on the way out that makes for a great work out and the views make it totally worth it. This trail is also way less packed than some of the others in Lory. Definitely a great choice!

Friday, February 10, 2017

We have a 12 year old and 4 month old pup... this was perfect for both levels of dog! :) Definitely icy in places, but it's February in Colorado. Even if the 62 degree temperature makes you forget that. Great views and amazingly quiet and secluded.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Very pleasant hike, mild and easy. Fun to hike into a gulch area, we did this in late November but I bet it'd be fun in Spring when everything is growing and coming back to life!

Saturday, November 05, 2016

wife, 3 year old and 8 month old loved it. Took about 2 hours for us but we are a bit slow. Several really good stopping points. Bring a snack for the little ones.

Friday, October 14, 2016

Good for kids and beautiful.

Monday, September 26, 2016

Great short hike

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Had a great time. it's a bit short, but a great fall hike

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Took my wife and teenage sons to try this trail. Everyone loved it. Moderate elevation change, my wife and I aren't the fittest, and there were some tired legs. The views of Fort Collins and Horsetooth Reservoir were fantastic with some great photo opportunities. We'll definitely hike it again!