Well Gulch Natural Trail

Well Gulch Natural Trail is a 1.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Bellvue, Colorado that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Wildflowers and riparian ecosystem line this plush 1.4 mile trail. A self-guided nature tour takes you through the meadow, mountain shrub, Douglas fir, and ponderosa ecosystems, with stations along the way illustrating botany, geology and animal life in Lory State Park. For those looking for a longer hike, the trail branches off into the Timber and Overlook Trails.

perfect length and level for my 4 and 6 yr old kids. There are rocky areas to maneuver over, but it made the trail fun.

Good trail to take kids. We went slower than I'd like but my 4 year old was able to hike most of it. You can take this trail to outlook trail to add another 1.2 miles.

Great hike with beautiful views. Gets your blood pumping in some spots but also has cool down areas. Didn't actually do the loop and ended up finishing on Arthur's Rock trail.. ended up being 2.5-3 miles. Only downside is we had to walk about a mile on the road back to the car, which we wouldn't have had to do if we stayed on the loop trail.

Nice hike. Hike leans toward moderate because it's a continuous climb to the summit. Only passed three other people on the trail. Nice views a long the way and especially at the top. Our dog Max enjoyed the hike also.

Nice hike for families. A little challenging toward the start but eases up. Good workout and some great views of Horsetooth/Fort Collins.

I hike this a lot when I volunteer at LSP with the Education programs as a Nature Interpretive Guide. It gets pretty rocky around the waterfall until you reach the transition to the Ponderosa Pine forest. It's a continual climb in elevation until you emerge from that. Then theres some up and down sections before reaching another summit with breath taking views. Be careful descending in any of the downhill areas, especially if conditions are exceptionally muddy, or even dry since loose stones and the slick dust can be just as unstable as slippery as mud can be.
There is great biodiversity of the plant life on this trail! The wildflowers are spectacular from Spring to Fall. Be sure to stop a moment to notice the smell of the Ponderosa Pine trees. Wet your nose a bit so it intensifies the scent. Not everyone interprets the scent the same way. Be on the look out for the Abert or Black Tufted Ear squirrels, who love to munch on the Pine trees.
You may encounter Deer, Wild turkeys or catch a fleeting glimpse of a bear, or a number of other woodland critters. From Spring to early Sept, you'll hear the trill of humming birds for sure!
If you take your dog, keep it on a leash and take the waste baggie WITH you! Leaving it on the trail is litter, and a danger to the wildlife! It's also gross.
I recommend a walking stick for anyone who has ankle, knee, or other joint issues. Also, use one if you aren't as sure footed as you were when you were a youngster.
Parts of this trail are shared, so be aware. Also be snake aware.

I took my dogs to hike here today and it was a great little trek! Loads of different butterflies as all sorts of flowers! There are lots of narrow trails and water. The little creek beds or whatever they are. Good for a rest ! Once you get to the top you can see a huge portion of the gorgeous Horsetooth Reservoir!

Beautiful views at the top. Streams and tiny waterfalls. Didn't see many people on the trails. Would go again.

Nice mix of timber, stream, rocks and long views of meadows and horsetooth reservoir. Not too much traffic. Park facilities nearby if needed. Pair it with another trail in Lory for a good day. Will return.

My husband and I hiked here on our anniversary 5/21 and it was a nice trail, but a bit muddy and icy depending on the elevation. Some down trees we had to navigate around in icy areas. Beautiful views.

Diverse, great for kids, views near the end, lots of wildlife. Perfect family hike!

With snow and a toddler, it's not that easy.

This was our first with my 4yo and it was absolutely perfect. The trail was easy to maneuver and clearly marked. It is the perfect distance for an active little person. Right at about 100 yards from the car he said he was tired. It was a great day!

Very nice trail, nobody was there today. Short and diverse with beautiful pines.

An easy hike on a pretty smooth trail. a couple of steam crossings. was glad I had my pole with me for balance. I'll be back to run this trail for sure.
this app says dogs must be on leash, but others we met said they can be off leash if they follow voice commands. a lot of dogs were off leash. beware.

A beautiful, easy hike

Gorgeous views. Trail pretty icy.

Beautiful in the snow

This trail was a blast! There's a pretty steep incline on the way out that makes for a great work out and the views make it totally worth it. This trail is also way less packed than some of the others in Lory. Definitely a great choice!

We have a 12 year old and 4 month old pup... this was perfect for both levels of dog! :) Definitely icy in places, but it's February in Colorado. Even if the 62 degree temperature makes you forget that. Great views and amazingly quiet and secluded.