Waterton Canyon Trail

Waterton Canyon Trail is a 12.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Littleton, Colorado that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

NOTE: Dogs are not allowed in order to protect the bighorn sheep herds.

This is an easy flat trail. There are bathrooms and picnic areas throughout. The bathrooms were clean. If you go to the dam it is about 3.2 miles, so 6.4 up and back if you turn around at that point. Lots of people jogging and great for bikes as the road is compact. I even saw two people with strollers. The trail follows a creek for much of the way. I saw some people fishing. The Big Horn Sheep did not disappoint; they even blocked the trail for a bit. :)

Great little trail. We saw a whole herd of big horned sheep about a mile and half in. Great for little kids. Can get chilly in the shade. Lots of bikers.

this is one of my favorites!! my go to. it's a very wide trail and you always see big horn sheep.

Awesome trail that allows you to get some good miles on the boots with minimal elevation gain. Nice views and sitting areas for a snack. Saw a herd of bighorn sheep on the trail, and just observed them for about 30 minutes before they moved off of the trail.

Will definitely do again. Recommend starting early to avoid the crowd.

We go here sometimes because we live nearby. It's okay. It gets prettier the farther you go, but count on zero shade. Depending on the time of day/season, come packing some sort of bug repellent for the mosquitos.

Clean bathrooms. Saw wild billy goats on out first trip out there. Lots of people for sure, but plenty of space on the road. We've gone about once a week all summer.
We run, so this is a great choice. Notice to hike, but the wildlife is great.

Take plenty of sunscreen and water, as there's no shade.

We frequent this trail as it is easy for kids. Gets busy but still plenty of chances to see mule deer. Keep walking and it gets more beautiful.

GREAT scenic trail. Was immediately greeted at the trail head by a mule deer. Shortly followed by a heard of big horned sheep, including a few adorable babies. The trail is 98% in direct sun, so if you're not used to the heat, I suggest going early morning. Definitely bring plenty of water. A few rattle snakes sunbathing on the path, so make sure to watch your step. Overall, wonderful easy walk/hike with spectacular views.

Not my kind of hike. To me, hiking involves mountains, trees, elevation gain, and some peace. To me, walking down a hot, dry, long dirt road is what you do when you run out of gas not getting back to nature. The two stars are because I saw some mountain goats, and they were adorable.

Next time on a bike, or in cooler weather. The wide open road really holds the heat.

not a lot of shade suggest starting really early and have water.

Nice, wide dirt trail that meanders through the canyon and follows the river. We walked about 4 miles before we saw a bunch of big horn sheep. If you walk all the way to the end it leads to a big dam. Easy hike for all ages since the trail it is flat and smooth the entire way. No shade, recommend starting early in the day before it gets too hot. There are several homes along the trail so be cautious of oncoming cars. No dogs allowed (to protect the wildlife in the area).

This is a great trail to see some bighorn sheep! We've almost always gotten some close encounters when we visit this area.
If you're looking for a true hike- I don't think this is it. It's a stone road that gets vehicles driving. The sights aside from the sheep aren't that great. Plus it's ALL sun so be prepared

Beautiful run. Nice wide, groomed dirt road that is well-taken care of. Lots of wildlife. I can't wait to go back.

very easy, wide road trail with the river running beside it

walking through the canyon with mountains on each side

Was an easy, short bike ride. We saw TONS of mountain goats. They were so cool and even hit their horns together for us. Was a wonderful experience!

Little shade. Super hot in the summer.

It was an ok walk. It was built up by friends who recommended it. At the end of 6 miles there's the dam, and that's about it. Nothing too spectacular. That and it being an in and out trail with not a whole lot to see either way, I'd spend your time on other trails in the mountains, unless you don't have the time to drive an extra 30 minutes.