Waterton Canyon Trail

Waterton Canyon Trail is a 12.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Littleton, Colorado that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

NOTE: Dogs are not allowed in order to protect the bighorn sheep herds.

Did trail on 1/3/19 after the snow storm on 12/31. It was quite a long walk from the parking lot to really get into canyon. The trail is a road that follows the creek. There is a lot of bikers and runners since it is flat and wide. Looks like you can drive but all park and water trucks driving through. We did see big horn sheep and deer. Not challenging trail for waking.

completed this trail in September 2018 as a bike ride. Trail is easy to ride, a little more difficult towards the end, but overall, not a bad ride. We saw 3 big horn sheep. Pretty open trail, not a lot of tree coverage, and there are some places you can access the river for water.

There is a pit toilet at the parking lot at the trail head which was clean.

The bike ride was awesome!!! The Long Horn Sheep were out and about! Spectacular! Wear gloves if biking! Go between 11am-2pm - Get as much sun as you can!

Loved this trail for the bighorn sheep!

The bighorn sheep are totally worth the hike. I couldn’t believe how close we got to them. I could have reached over and petted one had I not been so petrified that one would ram me!!

This trail is convenient from Denver, has amazing views, and most times you’re able to see big horn sheep!!

It was AWESOME to see the big horn sheep

Good trail for family’s and seniors. Bathroom facilities along the trail!

Great easy trail to bring sea level guests who enjoy walking and wildlife.

Less of a hiking trail, more of a massive road.

Good trail (road). There is not a lot of shade, so would definitely advise doing it earlier in the day. Was able to see roughly 20-30 mountain sheep, I always enjoy seeing wildlife.

Love this trail! But I prefer biking it to hiking it. I'm always hopeful to see a herd of bighorn sheep and some rams (my mother in law saw a bunch of rams by the dam a couple of months ago). I've seen a few bighorn sheep (loners) and a black bear.

Biked this today. Good amount of people for a Wednesday morning, but was alone for most of my time out there.
I am not a mountain biker, but enjoy biking so this was a great trail.
Saw a few small sheep and a dead snake.

I’m pretty happy we found this area. We have hiked it and have bikes it. The scenery is absolutely beautiful; you might even spot some sheep on the side of the mountain. It is easy walking it biking.

Beautiful scenery. Great place to go for a walk, run, or bike ride! Flat trail, but surrounded by the mountains!

Great trail, slight incline up to the dam. Was hoping to see the big horned sheep but they were nowhere to be found. Will bike this trail again.

Happy 100th Anniversary Denver Water! Hello CT Segment 1! I'll be back for more when the cooler weather starts setting in! My husband and I took our kids, 7 and 10, 3 miles through the canyon. We saw a REALLY big snake (either a Bull snake or a Rattle snake that just shed it's skin) cross the road in front of us. I would say it was about 3 feet long. We also saw some kind of small lizard and tons of birds. Bring your binoculars! Keep those kids on the trail and eyes peeled for snakes, especially just off the roadsides. This 'walk'/hike was a warm one for sure, but very mellow at the beginning. Would love to make it to the dam sometime.

Decided to check this place out since it’s so close. We walked, I wouldn’t consider it hiking because it’s a gravel service road up to the dam. After about mile 3, the crowds thin out. Will definitely be back to bike. Views were pretty, saw herds of big horned sheep on the road and on the rocks above. Lots of people fly fishing.

fun as always.
as of today, there is no flowing water after the damn, it's dry

Good area for a nice ride. This isn’t for adrenaline junkies as you are riding on a road. That said, it’s not a bad spot for a quick ride and a little exercise.

very boring crowded trail. wouldn’t travel for this one

The sun really beats down on you and there isn’t a view that you are making a goal towards to see. But it is nice to be next to a river and also to sometimes see Big Horn Sheep.

More of a dirt road than a trail. Well packed but plenty of room for bikers and walkers/runners. Would recommend getting here early as it does start to become very popular around 8-9am. I got here about 7:15 and it was perfect!

Parking lot is back open

it's never open anymore. we've gone there 3 times and they have locked the gates.

This was more of a walk than a hike. It’s a dirt road used by Denver Water. It was nice because the road is wide, but just not what we expected. The water, rock formations, mountains & wildlife are great. There’s very little shade though - almost none on the path itself. We clocked 13.91 miles from the parking lot to the big dam and back.

First time on the trail and really enjoyed the ride. Plenty of room for everyone, and covered areas along the way if needed. The surface is well maintained with only a few areas of loose gravel and I never saw a rut! The parking lot was packed (Saturday) by 11:30 but there was a stream of people leaving so you shouldn’t have to wait long.

The ride to the dam is very smooth and relaxing. The road is wide enough for two car, so it's easy to move around all the people traffic.

I recommend going the opposite way and going through the wetlands towards the State Park for a more adventurous time.

More of a walk than a hike but I still loved it. Went a few weeks ago and it was drizzling so there were very few people on the trail. Went a couple miles and then turned around. So beautiful!