Watanga Lake via Roaring Fork Trail

Watanga Lake via Roaring Fork Trail is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Granby, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Granby: Follow Highway 40 west to Highway 34. Go north on Hwy 34 to Forest Road 125, on the south end of Lake Granby. Follow 125 east to the Arapaho Bay Campground. The trailhead is located off the Roaring Fork Loop of the campground.

The first mile is no joke! But a great hike overall!

beautiful hike, though it was difficult. my GPS put us at .85 miles when we stopped at the roaring river. there we turned back as it started raining. can't wait to do it again and go farther!!

Husband and I went for a late afternoon hike, this is grueling the first mile, stopping every 20 yards to get rest. Very worth the work! The view of Lake Granby is breathtaking, the fresh mountian water "creek" even though its a roaring river!

Beautiful hike today, not too crowded. The first mile is punishing but after that it's more pleasant. I had to turn around 2.7 miles in (shortly after the 2nd log bridge) due to deep snow.

This trail has some great views. The beginning of the trail is extremely challenging. I would not recommend it for inexperienced hikers. I was not acclimated to the Colorado altitude when I hiked this trail which made it very difficult for me at times. The beginning of the trail during the switchbacks are difficult, but it does start to get easier.

Saturday, July 22, 2017

The trail map at the trail head shows that this trail is 6 miles in to Stone Lake. Not sure where the "4.3" comes from. My husband & I hiked the first 3 miles where it splits. At this point, my All Trails app shows the trail ends. Not so. In any case, it is a hard, but incredibly beautiful hike. Next time we will pack enough food & water to do the trail all the way to Stone Lake! That's 12 miles RT - plan accordingly!

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Tough climb but worth it. Incredible views and waterfall.

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Starts out pretty tough but gets easier. First time hiking in CO - had a blast!

Friday, June 16, 2017

The 2.2 miles up shown on the map doesn't get you all the way to the lake - that's more like 4 miles there. We didn't get that far with our 3 kids under 7, and another hiker said it was too snowy and had to turn back. Enjoyed the first 2 miles though next to the roaring river the whole time.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

This is a great hike in the right season with the right conditions. Right now, there are fallen trees all over the trail for the first 2 miles. At 2 miles, there's snow 2+ feet deep with creeks running underneath. It's also easy to get lost on the way down because of the snow.

Highly recommend skipping this trail until June!

Friday, May 12, 2017

great hike with a steep accent. lots of tree fall across bottom section with snow cover at 1 3/4 miles up. still a beautiful hike.

Friday, May 05, 2017

I hiked this trail yesterday with a friend. There's quite a bit of snow on the last half of the trail. We brought snow shoes but didn't need them though because it was packed down. The lake is still covered in a lot snow, but looks so pretty this time of year. There's also a lot of trees down on the first half of the trail from the winter. Great hike though!!

Saturday, August 15, 2015

We took the trail to the split to Lake Watanga. The first mile is quite a climb, then it becomes easier, until the last mile to the lake. Several bridges are out, and have been replace with whatever logs people could find.

Saturday, September 02, 2017