Telluride Via Ferrata is a 3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Telluride, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and rock climbing and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 3.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,243 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

via ferrata

Via Ferrata, Italian for "Iron Way", is part hike and part rock climb. The route has gained popularity in recent years, but should still only be attempted with a guide and some climbing skills. In addition to normal climbing gear like a harness and helmet (no climbing shoes required), you will need to have a specific harness attachment to allow you to use the cable system. Those who are adventurous enough to take this on will be rewarded with epic views of the valley below, Telluride, Ingram Peak, and Bridal Veil Falls. This is a fairly heavily trafficked trail so be prepared for some crowds. Use an east-to-west route as shown here.

The Via Ferrata is one of the most incredible things my husband and I have done together - top five hikes for sure! We parked in a very small lot at the end of the trail and started hiking up the road at 9am. It was a pleasant surprise to walk right up to the base of Bridal Veil Falls! Once you get to the trailhead make sure you pay attention to where the all trails map takes you - we accidentally got sidetracked and walked down to the area that has some abandoned mining things; not a huge detour and we found the trail easily! The views from this trail really cannot be beat - we climbed with helmets, harnesses and high ropes lobster claw lanyards. My husband and I rock climb, so we were ready for the more challenging portions of the trail - I would recommend that if you haven’t ever rock climbed before to either do this with someone who has or book to do this with a guide. 10/10 recommend doing this!

Incredible experience!! Nothin like hiking vertically across a cliff. Harness involved for safety.

Amazing hike! Not as scary as we thought it may be. Definitely recommend a guide unless you are an expert. Went with Kristen with Mountain Trip. Would do again in a heartbeat!

Amazing hike and climb but not for people afraid of heights!

closed

Road is closed for repairs from 5-8 Aug, which cuts off all access to both entrances to the via ferratta. I'm sure it would have been a great outing!

Amazing experience, would 100% do this again! We parked at the very bottom lot before the 4wd road and hiked the extra 1.5 miles to the start of the trailhead. The start of the Via Ferrata is at the third large switchback and the second big waterfall (not bridal veils). There’s a bridge that goes over the waterfall and the trailhead is to your right and straight up. We acaribeanersre climbers so we used our own slings, but I’d recommend double-length or extra long slings! We also used our own locking caribeaners but this made the hike much slower for us. Everyone else had special via Ferrata slings that made the process much faster! There were some clips that were a stretch of a reach and it would have been easier with a longer sling, esp on the exposed parts of the climb. This hike is not for the faint of heart! There are a few sections of the trail where you’re not clipped into a cable that felt sketchy if you’re not an experienced hiker. The trail is very narrow and exposed at parts and definitely not for a beginner or clumsy hiker. If you’re afraid of heights, don’t do this hike! Bring your helmet, harness and two slings and you’ll be all set! It’s pretty long so bring extra water too, esp if you park at the very bottom parking lot. This is the best option if you only have one car cause the end of the hike will lead you back to the parking lot. I highly recommend the Via Ferrata and if you’re a climber or have the gear, you definitely don’t need a guide. 10/10 would do it again!

fun trail with great views. make sure to have the right gear.

As an experienced climber I thought this was very well protected and pretty chill the whole way. The main event with the most exposure on the iron rungs only takes about 3 minutes. We got there at 8:45 on Monday morning and there were only 2 parties ahead of us. It took us 2 hours round trip, and that included the hike back up the road since we didn’t want to reverse the journey as lots of other parties had started behind us. My biggest advice is start early, and be comfortable with your system. I borrowed a via ferrata harness and was happy to have it but it isn’t necessary for skilled climbers. I have a subaru crosstrek and my car made it up the road no issue! Have fun :)

7-18-19 This is a one of a kind trail in Colorado with amazing views and challenging areas. I would definitely not consider this hike hard though, unless you are very afraid of heights. There are a few things you need to know when planning for this one : 1. Google thinks the road from Telluride to the trailhead is one way from the other side of the mountain. i.e. drive 2.5 hours around to the other side of the mountains and then head down. It technically might be, but it's constant two way traffic the whole day and no problem to drive up from Telluride. 2. Absolutely take two cars. Park one at the Via Farrata exit (this is not marked, but it's just a few switchbacks above the Bridal Veil Falls parking lot) and then continue with everyone up to the actual trailhead (also not marked, but pretty obvious - there is a sneaky little trail that will take you down the hill to some old mining equipment, but you really want to go up on the side of the little river). Two cars is going to save you a few miles of walking on just dirt road and you'll be glad to not need to do that extra piece. 3. The hike gets busy, but most importantly there isnt much parking - so start early. It will also help you in that there will be less people doing the trail from the lower side towards Bridal Veil - it's annoying having to wait and find places to pass on the ledges. 4. It was great having the designated Via Farrata lanyards, but you also don't need it if you are a more experienced climber. In our group of five we had 3 petzl lanyards, 1 camp, and one static webbing lanyard that was homemade. We all had no issues and felt safe, but absolutely take the gear you feel most safe with. You need it up there. 5. These views.

Beautiful hike/climb for experienced climbers with appropriate harness and gear.

Second time on this trail. It’s open and mostly clear—- a snowy patch to cross near the end and a couple waterfalls to run through. Keep in mind the cables and protection does not run throughout. In a lot of areas the trail is narrow with a lot of exposure but is NOT protected by cables. I would estimate about half the exposed areas are protected. The trail is ok but be careful not to slip on the loose dirt and small pebbles on the exposed unprotected spots.

Multiple sections of cable are gone, footing unstable.

I did this trail with Mountain Trip in telluride and it was the experience of a lifetime. The views are unbeatable and the trail is heart pounding. I highly recommend it.

rock climbing