Vasquez Peak

Vasquez Peak is a 7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and downhill skiing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

Okay, so this map is wrong. I tried to summit today following Alltrails GPS tracking, but it directed us to hike via tundra at 12024 ft/miles in, and we had to go off trail and turn back as there was no trail where the All trails GPS was directing us. I am not sure how the folks below summitted- if U followed All Trails GPS. Nonetheless the hike was amazing and had a wonderful time. Also Park in the first dirt parking lot and start at the Little Sign that says "Trail". There are no other signs along the trail upto where I hiked- 4 miles up. Lots of Elevation gain- loved it.

I thought this was pretty amazing. The only thing that sucked is that we totally thought we were on the peak at the first point above 12800. And THEN we realized we had further to go. It was closer to 8 miles according to my tracking (7.7) Once you get above the mine, the views are phenomenal. The wildflowers were in full force and there wasn't much of a defined trail to follow once you start head up . Little bit of rock scrambling. It was fun! Look for the white granite! Hike June 13 18

Beautiful hike to get some elevation practice in. Weather was amazing with only a few snowy patches left on the trail. The last half mile or so has no trail and it is very steep. It was most certainly harder coming down that stretch than going up. Views on top were 360 and lovely!

This is an interesting but rewarding hike. You start off down by the mining facility which kind of threw me off for awhile with the noise. But once you reach higher elevation in the forest it is really beautiful and quaint. There is no signage of where the peak is so make sure you are following your map. Then I just had to start to go straight up the summit to the peak without a trail. This was some serious elevation gain, not a 14er but more elevation gain during the hike than a lot of 14ers I have done! So rewarding at the top!

Saturday, August 12, 2017

This was a beautiful and fun hike! We didn't notice the cairns up Vasquez Peak, so we kind of made our own way up and down. The stroll through the forest in the beginning was awesome.

We were alone on the summit, and most of the trail. The forest section became a little crowded on our descent at 11:00am, but everyone was polite.

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

Have no illusion - this hike is hard, at least for a 50-year-old guy hiking to recover from a heart attack. I hike 2 or 3 times a week and would now say I am in slightly better than average condition.

The trail isn't a trail, per se. It is an old mining road rising above the Henderson molybdenum mine. The Henderson mine is mostly underground; however, the mine has generated many byproducts that are visible on the surface. Overall, not a pretty site.

The first 2 miles of the hike are steep, and rocky. Honestly, I only went up 2 miles as it began to sleet and "gropple." Had the weather been ideal, however, I don't know if I would have made the next, even steeper assent if it continued on the road. I found the hiking on this road to take away from what little beauty was available.

Despite my grousing about trail conditions, there were moments of great beauty, mostly because the leaves were in full autumn fall colors. The colors weren't worth the trip, though.

Saturday, August 13, 2016

my husband and I did this in August 2016. It's a wonderful Loop hike which starts down in the forest but you enjoy a wonderful length of hiking up on the Continental Divide and Alpine during period we did the 3 some including Vasquez. Bike is really nice out we only have 7 people and that was only after we got back onto the trail after about 5 hours of being all by ourselves. The only downside is that noise from the Henderson mine air ventilation we think it is. Also another added bonus is closest to the metro area.

Saturday, October 04, 2014

My son and i hiked a loop starting up the Henderson Spur with it's many switchbacks. Then taking a left on to the Mt. Nystrom Trail, not so much climbing here. We followed it for a couple of miles to the base of Vasquez Peak. From there it was a steady climb off trail to the summit taking about 30 minutes. It was a beautiful day but the wind was howling on top so we didn't stay long. On the way down we followed the ridge to the SE, climbing Peak 12900, then dropping down to the south and back to the trail. It's a nice hike and the views are well worth the effort.

Sunday, March 17, 2013

High elevation out and back hike starting at Berthoud Pass. Strenuous in spots with steep sections on snow and ice. Rugged, rocky, high alpine conditions. A very stormy day in October heralding a very stormy winter season in the mountains.

Some snow sliders encountered near Berthoud Pass but other than that no one further out there.

Did not actually make it to Vasquez Peak.

Ed