Vallecito Creek Trail

Vallecito Creek Trail is a 11.8 mile out and back trail located near Bayfield, Colorado and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until October.

2060 feet

Worth the scenic views

Nice hike. Only hiked half way. Recommend it. Lots of hikers on this trail. Beautiful views

JA Luc did you run into any snow on your hike?

Had a great time on this hike up to the second bridge and back! The views off the trail down into the gorge are amazing!

Great trail had limited time covered
6.75 miles in 2 1/2 hours

Lovely and quiet although it looks as though it gets busy in the summer. We went in April. Awesome time to go because the weather is cool (check for rain) and the bugs are minimal.

My roommate and I used to live 20 minutes away from the trailhead this was an easy afternoon hike for us even if we didn't do the whole 11 miles. The first 11 miles is easy relatively flat and pretty. We did this hike with the intention of crossing over to into Chicago basin via the trail used to access Windom Peak. We completed this hike in August 2016.
After you pass the foot bridges and waterfalls the trail begins to wind through trees and intermittent meadows, while staying at a very comfortable elevation HOWEVER about 15-20 miles in there is a footbridge that's been washed out. the river crossing is doable but dangerous, as any river crossing is. I'm not going to go into to much detail but I will say this. The climb from the valley up to the point of crossing over into Chicago basin is rough. around 4,000 feet gain for I would guess 5-7 miles. This makes it a rather difficult hike but well worth it.

My sister and I did a day hike on the Vallecito trail back in mid-may. It's a beautiful trail, and definitely one of the more trafficked trails in the area. Unfortunately, about 4 miles in, there was still a lot of snow blocking the trails, so we had to turn back earlier than anticipated. Would love to do this trail in the summertime.

Beautiful views