Vallecito Creek Trail

Vallecito Creek Trail is a 11.8 mile out and back trail located near Bayfield, Colorado and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

loved it! was beautiful all the way around.

Love this trail! Good climb right off the bat with great canyon scenery. Then you wind next to and over the creek. Good camping options beyond 4 miles in... can't wait to explore further!

Wow! I hiked this trail solo as my psuedo vision quest 8/27-8/31. the first day started at vallecito trailhead and ended at johnson creek junction. It was appx 9 miles and wasn't too difficult. Day 2 was from johnson creek / vallecito creek junction up the johnson creek trail to Columbine lake. This was when the lungs and legs were on fire. A ton of switchbacks and it was VERY warm that day. VERY IMPORTANT, at the second major creek crossing of johnson creek, load up with water because there is VERY little until you reach the lake. Day 3 was day hiking from Columbine lake as a base. Went up to columbine pass and then a few hours north to Jupiter Mtn. Great views of Vallecito basin and Chicago Basin the entire time. Days 4-5 were spend backtracking to route. While I saw lots of signs of bears, I never saw any actual bears. Plenty of elk and mule deer. overall great trip with tons of breathtaking sights along the way!

one if our favorite hikes in this area. wild flowers on June are beautiful. we have seen kayakers run the river/stream along here when the water us high.

Great trail! Rating as 'moderate' is accurate. First bridge is only about 1 mile in, second is about 3.25 miles in. We didnt make is to the bridge supposedly about 7 miles in...great trails tho! Adventure on!

Loved this trail! Did it with kids strapped to us so it made it a pretty good workout. Such pretty views without having to hike too far in which was nice. Bridge, waterfalls, cliffs.

This is moderate to hard trail, with very rocky parts.

Curious how far the bridges are from the trail head?

I would call this trail easy and not moderate, but despite that, it is an absolutely stunning trail. I went on an overcast and rainy day and felt I was in the Pacific northwest. Not many places in Colorado look like this, with ferns, Spanish moss, and towering cliff sides lining the trail, it's a real gem.

Hi Folks!
Lots of fine hikers out there in the Weminuche. I plan to do a 50 mile hike beginning next Monday. My friend and I will begin using the Vallecito Creek Trail, which, by the way, is not just an 11.8 mile trail. The trail runs 18.1 miles from, south to north, Vallecito Campground Trailhead to Nebo Junction. At the Junction, you can continue approx. another 1.5 miles north on the CDT to Hunchback Pass or head east on the CDT to Nebo Pass. Either way, vistas abound! Safe travels.