Ute Trail - Tombstone Ridge

Ute Trail - Tombstone Ridge is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from June until September.

1945 feet

Big payoff for little effort. Tundra hiking, rocky but little elevation gain. Spectacular views. Took the advise of other reviewers and stopped as it began to descend. Steady 30 mph winds with gusts to 50. Took about 2.5 hrs stoping often for pictures.

Good for an easy day hike with good views!! Views are beyond amazing. Rocky, so still need to wear good shoes. Chilly because it is above the tree line. Only caution would be to watch for the trail sign, it's pretty small.

Beautiful views on this trail. We were only able to go halfway until a storm approached quickly and had to turn around. Would love to do it again!

Beautiful hike with soaring vistas.

Very easy.

Stipulations on this hike. Cut it in half for sure. As you can see from the topo, there is a very steep drop off about half way. I would say it's a park the car, take a half hour to walk out along the ridge, and then go back to your car for a different hike that day-- there's no way I would go down that decline and then turn around and come back up. We planned to connect to beaver mountain trail and had a friend pick us up down in the valley-- that's the way to do it if you want to continue.

Did half of this hike noon on Sunday, 7/9/2017.

As mentioned, only went as far as just before the valley. Some incline in the beginning of the hike, but nothing crazy. The trail is easy to follow, and is half dirt and half rocks. Not very crowded. Nice views of the park.

One of my favorite hikes to date. Absolutely stunning views with light traffic. Little bit of an incline at the beginning but then the trail evens out till you get to the ridge. If you're looking for an easy hike to see the peaks and captures beautiful pictures then this hike is for you. If you"re wanting a little more of a workout, head down the ridge into the valley. Remember to stay on the trail as it is all tundra!

Beautiful hike and great chance of seeing herds of elk. We stop at the large pile of rocks before the decent into the valley.

Beautiful views. The perfect morning hike.

Easy out and back with amazing views!! We stopped just before tree line so we didn't have to climb back up to the ridge.

Unbelievable views from pretty much all points on the trail. If you want to get a little ambitious, there are some good overlook points a short climb down the valley. Would highly recommend checking those out.

Beautiful alpine hike with gorgeous views!

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Trail is on top of Rocky Mountain National park. In spring time you have to look out for lighting, people have been killed. Late fall, Sept., it was cloudy buy saw no lighting. The trail is very rocky. I went only half way for when I was looking at the view, I tripped on a big rock and landed on the ground. It seems I have bad luck in RMNP. I was looking at the great scenery and not looking out for the big rocks on the trail.

Friday, October 14, 2016

Awesome views- esp just before dropping to the forest near the end of the ridge.

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Beautiful views..a little rocky and windy..

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Awesome views, especially of Long's Peak, but not significantly better than what you can see from Trial Ridge Road. If you plan to hike the whole trail down to Beaver Meadows, I recommend getting picked up at the Upper Beaver Meadows trailhead (6 mi.) because getting back up is strenuous due to elevation change. Otherwise, I suggest you only hike out to Tombstone Ridge (distinct rock formation to your left when you hike out), which is about 1.5 miles one way. Can be cold and very windy so come prepared!

Friday, September 02, 2016

Little windy but a fantastic hike!

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Great hike with awesome views. We hiked all of Ute Trail down to Upper Beaver Meadow. Very hard trail if you do that route. 6.5 miles downhill on loose rocks. Took us 3 hrs. I wouldn't take kids all the down.