Ute Trail - Tombstone Ridge

Ute Trail - Tombstone Ridge is a 5.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from June until September.

1912 feet

Beautiful but windy! Full of marmots!!

Easy trail with excellent views and lots of animals!

We are from Kansas and like to hike this trail first thing when we arrive at RMNP to help acclimate to the altitude faster as it's a high altitude trail but not strenuous. Stunning tundra views. Lots of elk and marmots out. The trail is rocky and above the treeline so it can get windy and cold -- bring good shoes and layers with a windbreaker or similar in order to stay comfortable, as well as sunscreen.

Recommend going early. We hit the trailhead at about 7:30 AM and by about 9:30-10:00 AM as we were leaving there were dozens of people milling around, especially near the first ~mile of the trail.

Took this trail on 6/9 and the trail was great. Fantastic views of the peaks and lakes. Saw 2 elk it was a little hard to walk the trail bc there were so many different size rocks in the path and you had to step carefully so not to twist your ankle. Stunning views to look down on the lakes from above tree line. Very windy near mid day.

Did this trail on 6/7...beautifully rugged trail. Really cold, with strong winds. Bundle up!

Hiked this one on 6/4. It’s a really great tundra, ridge line trail. Has an even amount of uphill and downhill spots. The day we hiked the wind was intense so bring layers and wind breakers if planning to do it. Remember you’re above tree line for this. Over all the hike is easy to moderate, with quite a few rocky points. Took me about an hour to hike out to the tombstone ridge, and I go at an easy pace. I will say please stay on the trail even if rocky or muddy. Tundra terrain is very delicate. We saw a few hikers not walking on the trail, please don’t hurt the environment!

rock climbing

Hands down best trail! So peaceful and the view the entire time was majestic. Very rocky, so wear good shoes. It was easy-moderate for me (a beginner).

Did this hike on 6/3/18. Really enjoyed this one! Amazing views and relatively flat/easy. Turned around at the big descent point. Trail was not too busy. Enough parking for 8 or so vehicles at the trail head.

Great views & not difficult if you turn back before the descent.

Big payoff for little effort. Tundra hiking, rocky but little elevation gain. Spectacular views. Took the advise of other reviewers and stopped as it began to descend. Steady 30 mph winds with gusts to 50. Took about 2.5 hrs stoping often for pictures.

Good for an easy day hike with good views!! Views are beyond amazing. Rocky, so still need to wear good shoes. Chilly because it is above the tree line. Only caution would be to watch for the trail sign, it's pretty small.

Beautiful views on this trail. We were only able to go halfway until a storm approached quickly and had to turn around. Would love to do it again!

Beautiful hike with soaring vistas.

Very easy.

Stipulations on this hike. Cut it in half for sure. As you can see from the topo, there is a very steep drop off about half way. I would say it's a park the car, take a half hour to walk out along the ridge, and then go back to your car for a different hike that day-- there's no way I would go down that decline and then turn around and come back up. We planned to connect to beaver mountain trail and had a friend pick us up down in the valley-- that's the way to do it if you want to continue.

Did half of this hike noon on Sunday, 7/9/2017.

As mentioned, only went as far as just before the valley. Some incline in the beginning of the hike, but nothing crazy. The trail is easy to follow, and is half dirt and half rocks. Not very crowded. Nice views of the park.

One of my favorite hikes to date. Absolutely stunning views with light traffic. Little bit of an incline at the beginning but then the trail evens out till you get to the ridge. If you're looking for an easy hike to see the peaks and captures beautiful pictures then this hike is for you. If you"re wanting a little more of a workout, head down the ridge into the valley. Remember to stay on the trail as it is all tundra!

Beautiful hike and great chance of seeing herds of elk. We stop at the large pile of rocks before the decent into the valley.

Beautiful views. The perfect morning hike.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Easy out and back with amazing views!! We stopped just before tree line so we didn't have to climb back up to the ridge.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Unbelievable views from pretty much all points on the trail. If you want to get a little ambitious, there are some good overlook points a short climb down the valley. Would highly recommend checking those out.

Monday, April 10, 2017

Beautiful alpine hike with gorgeous views!

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Trail is on top of Rocky Mountain National park. In spring time you have to look out for lighting, people have been killed. Late fall, Sept., it was cloudy buy saw no lighting. The trail is very rocky. I went only half way for when I was looking at the view, I tripped on a big rock and landed on the ground. It seems I have bad luck in RMNP. I was looking at the great scenery and not looking out for the big rocks on the trail.

Friday, October 14, 2016

Awesome views- esp just before dropping to the forest near the end of the ridge.

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Beautiful views..a little rocky and windy..

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Awesome views, especially of Long's Peak, but not significantly better than what you can see from Trial Ridge Road. If you plan to hike the whole trail down to Beaver Meadows, I recommend getting picked up at the Upper Beaver Meadows trailhead (6 mi.) because getting back up is strenuous due to elevation change. Otherwise, I suggest you only hike out to Tombstone Ridge (distinct rock formation to your left when you hike out), which is about 1.5 miles one way. Can be cold and very windy so come prepared!

Friday, September 02, 2016

Little windy but a fantastic hike!

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Great hike with awesome views. We hiked all of Ute Trail down to Upper Beaver Meadow. Very hard trail if you do that route. 6.5 miles downhill on loose rocks. Took us 3 hrs. I wouldn't take kids all the down.

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Beautiful trail and an easy hike out and back to TRR.