Upper Cheesman Canyon Trail

Upper Cheesman Canyon Trail is a 3.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Deckers, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Was not expecting to go on this hike but so glad I did! Some parts get a little narrow and close to the edge but nothing hard to navigate. My favorite hikes include water, huge rocks, dense forest mixed with amazing views & some wildlife & this has it all!

4.2.18 This is now my new favorite trail in Colorado! Stunning views and really quiet. only saw two guys fishing and that's it. very little cover from the elements, so plan accordingly. Would suggest this is more on the easy side of moderate, save for the last quarter mile is a steeper grade. Speaking of, be aware that right when it is getting steep going down, there are about 6 unmarked rebar rods poking out of the ground that would be easy to trip over! Overall, loved this trail and it will be my new "go to" when people come to visit from out-of-state.

My boyfriend and I went on 3/25/18. This was my first real hike more than 1 mile. My boyfriend probably thought it was very easy, I thought it was moderate. We went down to the dam and had lunch there and that was at 2.5 miles. It was a beautiful memory and a serene hike.

Some steep areas but overall a great hike! Beautiful views of the reservoir.

It was beautiful. Definitely will do it again!!

This was a beautiful hike! I went on 3/2 and it was completely dry, with not a lot of hikers at all. It was a steady climb up, with some down hill parts as well. There are gorgeous views of the lake the entire hike, and the top offers beautiful views of the lake/dam. I highly recommend!

beautiful hike on 2.26.18. it was very dry despite snow in other places. no spikes or yaktracs were needed. this is a really great trail

Great hike. No snow or ice on the trail at all on 2-4-18. Great views due to the burn. Steep hike down and back up from the river with some loose gravel. I tracked 4.2 miles out to the river and back.

This trail was wonderful!!!! Came on a Saturday afternoon and was not busy at all. Not a challenging hike by any means and awesome views the whole time! Sign at trailhead says dogs on leash but most were off, just be polite of your dog approaching others. There was no snow at all (2/3). Definitely will be coming back!!!

Very pretty views of the reservoir during the entire hike. There were lots of big boulders to sit on while enjoying a snack or the view. Trail was completely dry on 1-14 although I wish I had brought walking sticks. My two dogs pulled me up and down the steep parts, which are covered with loose gravel, so it was a little slippery for me.

Beautiful water adjacent trails with some challenge!

This was the most beautiful hike I’ve ever been on. Barely anyone on this trail.

Trip Report 1/6/18. Dry. It's so dry right now! No water or snow on the trail. It's a moderate hike with great views of Cheesman reservoir and Lost Creek Wilderness. There are ample places along the trail to stop and look at the view. There is some loose gravel on the trail so some folks might want to have their poles with them. I went far enough to get a good view of the dam, but not all the way to the river. I think this hike would be more difficult in summer due to the lack of shade. I also plan to hike sometime from the other trailhead that winds along the S. Platte. That trailhead is at the base of the road to Cheesman. The road to Cheesman reservoir, while narrow in places, is well maintained. Yes, you can get there in a Mazda. :)

For some a burn area may not be beautiful. I enjoyed seeing how Mother Earth is bringing the area back to life. The plants are coming back- Aspen, Pine, and pretty wild flowers.

Extremely quiet, even on a Saturday . Nice and easy except for the very end if you hike down to the stream. The hike back up is steep and adds significant challenge to the hike .

Seems like the trail as mapped on the site doesn't include the last quarter mile segment down to the creek.

The dam and creek are impressive . The rest of the views are average for Colorado, which is to say still pretty nice :)

ft

so pretty!! Very easy to follow hike. Highly recommend.

Loose gravel trail. Can easily lose footing on slopes, especially near the South Platte River. Beautiful views though! The trees had all burned down so there is minimal shade on a hot sunny day

Bitchin hike to a DAM built in 1905 by Italian bricklayers! History!

Beautiful hike!

This is a great hike if you complete it. There is little shade. The trailhead was difficult to find. You have to go just past the main trailhead and drive down a dirt road for over a mile and stay left. The trail was clean and not populated. Just bring plenty of water for you and your pup!

Nice quiet hike but not much shade

The drive was beautiful! Very sad and disappointing at the beginning of the tail as everything was burnt from a forest fire that happened 20 hrs ago. That view only lasted about 20 min, the rest of the trail was amazing. My favorite part was getting to the river. We had lunch on the rocks, had an amazing view, and was able to watch fish swim through the clear water. Headed back was definitely more difficult. The views of the lake were great as well!!

I really enjoyed this trail! Right from the start you can tell it's well maintained. Over the course of the entire trail you have great views of Cheesman. A thing to not is both the beginning and end have steep grade up/down which is what makes the trail most difficult. Especially after a long day of fly fishing in the rain.

We really enjoyed this trail, however, I wouldn't recommend this for smaller kids. There were a few steep narrow areas. Deckers is such a great area to easily get away from town.

The view was amazing ! took so many beautiful pictures and it only got better when we saw deer run past us on the trail ! I recommend this hike to anyone !

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Really nice trail. Amazing views. Bonus if you fish!

Saturday, January 28, 2017

This is a nice hike with pleasant rewards if you take it all the way to the South Platte River.