Upper Cheesman Canyon Trail is a 3.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Deckers, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Amazing hike. Really enjoyed the views and the weather was wonderful.. The hike wasn't as hard as I thought it would be!

Fun little hike, but I would definitely recommend leaving your dog at home in the summer. Because of the fire that went through (I'm assuming a few years ago), the trail is really exposed. our pup burned her paws a little since there was little shade to retreat to. It is, however, a really good trail to take out of towners who are not used to the elevation.

Pretty view but a lot more restrictions than we were expecting. It’s dog friends but they must be on a leash and are not allowed in the water. Not much tree cover due to the fire that was there a while back.

Very, very high pressure

Really interesting landscape with all the downed trees from fire damage. Pretty easy hike and great views of the lake and dam below. Very exposed to sun - was hot.

Enjoyed this hike. Little foot traffic but well maintained with nice views. Certainly 'easy' as opposed to the 'moderate' rating listed on the site.

Awesome hike! First mile are so are through the remains of a forest fire, so there is very little tree cover but awesome views. Bring sunscreen! Only saw a couple of people. This connects to the Gill Trail in the canyon which has river access and is great for dogs. There were a bunch of people fly fishing. The Gill is pretty difficult so we only did 2 miles before turning around. I highly recommend this trail, though it would be very hot in the summer.

Was not expecting to go on this hike but so glad I did! Some parts get a little narrow and close to the edge but nothing hard to navigate. My favorite hikes include water, huge rocks, dense forest mixed with amazing views & some wildlife & this has it all!

4.2.18 This is now my new favorite trail in Colorado! Stunning views and really quiet. only saw two guys fishing and that's it. very little cover from the elements, so plan accordingly. Would suggest this is more on the easy side of moderate, save for the last quarter mile is a steeper grade. Speaking of, be aware that right when it is getting steep going down, there are about 6 unmarked rebar rods poking out of the ground that would be easy to trip over! Overall, loved this trail and it will be my new "go to" when people come to visit from out-of-state.

My boyfriend and I went on 3/25/18. This was my first real hike more than 1 mile. My boyfriend probably thought it was very easy, I thought it was moderate. We went down to the dam and had lunch there and that was at 2.5 miles. It was a beautiful memory and a serene hike.

Some steep areas but overall a great hike! Beautiful views of the reservoir.

It was beautiful. Definitely will do it again!!

This was a beautiful hike! I went on 3/2 and it was completely dry, with not a lot of hikers at all. It was a steady climb up, with some down hill parts as well. There are gorgeous views of the lake the entire hike, and the top offers beautiful views of the lake/dam. I highly recommend!

beautiful hike on 2.26.18. it was very dry despite snow in other places. no spikes or yaktracs were needed. this is a really great trail

Great hike. No snow or ice on the trail at all on 2-4-18. Great views due to the burn. Steep hike down and back up from the river with some loose gravel. I tracked 4.2 miles out to the river and back.

This trail was wonderful!!!! Came on a Saturday afternoon and was not busy at all. Not a challenging hike by any means and awesome views the whole time! Sign at trailhead says dogs on leash but most were off, just be polite of your dog approaching others. There was no snow at all (2/3). Definitely will be coming back!!!

Very pretty views of the reservoir during the entire hike. There were lots of big boulders to sit on while enjoying a snack or the view. Trail was completely dry on 1-14 although I wish I had brought walking sticks. My two dogs pulled me up and down the steep parts, which are covered with loose gravel, so it was a little slippery for me.

Beautiful water adjacent trails with some challenge!

This was the most beautiful hike I’ve ever been on. Barely anyone on this trail.

Trip Report 1/6/18. Dry. It's so dry right now! No water or snow on the trail. It's a moderate hike with great views of Cheesman reservoir and Lost Creek Wilderness. There are ample places along the trail to stop and look at the view. There is some loose gravel on the trail so some folks might want to have their poles with them. I went far enough to get a good view of the dam, but not all the way to the river. I think this hike would be more difficult in summer due to the lack of shade. I also plan to hike sometime from the other trailhead that winds along the S. Platte. That trailhead is at the base of the road to Cheesman. The road to Cheesman reservoir, while narrow in places, is well maintained. Yes, you can get there in a Mazda. :)

Sunday, October 08, 2017

For some a burn area may not be beautiful. I enjoyed seeing how Mother Earth is bringing the area back to life. The plants are coming back- Aspen, Pine, and pretty wild flowers.

Sunday, October 01, 2017

Extremely quiet, even on a Saturday . Nice and easy except for the very end if you hike down to the stream. The hike back up is steep and adds significant challenge to the hike .

Seems like the trail as mapped on the site doesn't include the last quarter mile segment down to the creek.

The dam and creek are impressive . The rest of the views are average for Colorado, which is to say still pretty nice :)

Monday, September 04, 2017

ft

Monday, August 28, 2017

so pretty!! Very easy to follow hike. Highly recommend.

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Loose gravel trail. Can easily lose footing on slopes, especially near the South Platte River. Beautiful views though! The trees had all burned down so there is minimal shade on a hot sunny day

Monday, July 24, 2017

Bitchin hike to a DAM built in 1905 by Italian bricklayers! History!

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Beautiful hike!

Monday, July 17, 2017

This is a great hike if you complete it. There is little shade. The trailhead was difficult to find. You have to go just past the main trailhead and drive down a dirt road for over a mile and stay left. The trail was clean and not populated. Just bring plenty of water for you and your pup!

Friday, June 09, 2017

Nice quiet hike but not much shade

Thursday, June 08, 2017

The drive was beautiful! Very sad and disappointing at the beginning of the tail as everything was burnt from a forest fire that happened 20 hrs ago. That view only lasted about 20 min, the rest of the trail was amazing. My favorite part was getting to the river. We had lunch on the rocks, had an amazing view, and was able to watch fish swim through the clear water. Headed back was definitely more difficult. The views of the lake were great as well!!