Uneva Peak

Uneva Peak is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Vail, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

Hiked today not knowing what this would be, but just wanted to do a shorter hike on the way back home to Northern Co. We went as far as the bowl just below the peak. Wish we would have had more time, but we will be coming back again to explore the top. Not sure why KC couldn't find the trail farther up. Yes, there is some bushwacking trails but we found them to be short and ended back up on the main trail anyway. Pretty well established as far as we went. Wildflowers were awesome!!!!! Also the view to the west from the bowl area where we stopped was excellent. I would maybe rate this as Easy/Moderate with the 1900 foot gain, and there were a few fairly steep inclines.

Loved this beautiful hike until about 2.3 miles - the trail disappears and to get to where it continues, the hard uphill, it seems like you have bushwhack. I don’t like bushwhacking, it destroys the environment and really there should be a clear path. I tried going right but the path totally disappeared. Am not comfortable heading into unchartered territory without a map - AllTrails wouldn’t let me record my hike, then it stopped working all together when the trail disappeared, even though I had downloaded it.

the trail was gorgeous, but there was too much powdery snow to reach the summit. it's definitely worth the hike to see the lower meadow, but the peak probably won't be accessible without snowshoes for another few weeks.

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Rated as easy. But for a lowlander from Kansas City, I would rate it as moderate to hard. But, a great hike nonetheless! A lot of uphill trekking with awesome views. Lots of wild flowers. And we even met a friendly Marmot by the bowl.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

If going W on I70 take exit 190 and do not cross the bridge over the interstate to the rest area.TH is on the right just past the stop sign. After 30 min of hiking there is a Y on the trail go right and up. (the trail on the left is a short cut to Uneva Pass). Can take the steep trail on the left at the base of the bowl turn right at the saddle and hike up the ridge. (You can see a light trail). The rocks on the left are a false summit. The trail disappears after a short steep ascent. Just continue up the ridge. When you see the survey marker surrounded by a circle of rocks you know you are there. Happy Hiking!

Monday, July 24, 2017

For those who struggled to find the Uneva Peak trail head, it has been adjusted on the map, so the starting point has been corrected and should be easier to find. This trail is worth checking out-I highly recommend trekking poles.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Very high view to effort ratio. Big 360 degree views from a moderate hike. I don't understand how Molly missed the trail head. It is in the North side of the Exit 190 overpass. In any event I am sorry for her frustration because this is a magnificent hike that is not too taxing. Like any hike going to roughly 12,500' I recommend an early start. We took a leisurely pace and summitted in 2 1/2 hours. Trail becomes indistinct towards the top so just follow the ridge line to the summit. Big views of Mt Holy Cross, back side of the Gore Range and Lake Dillon.

Friday, July 07, 2017

We wandered around for 30mins, watching our GPS closely and never found the trailhead! Last time someone did this hike was 2 years ago - not sure it's maintained at all. We also had to park in a lot that repeatedly got blocked in by large trucks stopping to use the bathrooms and for a brake check. I am not sure this hike exists...Or the altitude might have been messing with us ;) anyway sad to miss it as it looked great!

Sunday, September 21, 2014

This is a nice half day hike with some incredible views considering how easy it is to reach this summit. There is a trail most of the way on both sides of the mountain. I started up the south side and looped around and down the north side. It's all grass and very easy going.

Saturday, August 12, 2017