Uneva Peak

Uneva Peak is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Vail, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1925 feet

skiing

snowboarding

Rated as easy. But for a lowlander from Kansas City, I would rate it as moderate to hard. But, a great hike nonetheless! A lot of uphill trekking with awesome views. Lots of wild flowers. And we even met a friendly Marmot by the bowl.

If going W on I70 take exit 190 and do not cross the bridge over the interstate to the rest area.TH is on the right just past the stop sign. After 30 min of hiking there is a Y on the trail go right and up. (the trail on the left is a short cut to Uneva Pass). Can take the steep trail on the left at the base of the bowl turn right at the saddle and hike up the ridge. (You can see a light trail). The rocks on the left are a false summit. The trail disappears after a short steep ascent. Just continue up the ridge. When you see the survey marker surrounded by a circle of rocks you know you are there. Happy Hiking!

For those who struggled to find the Uneva Peak trail head, it has been adjusted on the map, so the starting point has been corrected and should be easier to find. This trail is worth checking out-I highly recommend trekking poles.

Very high view to effort ratio. Big 360 degree views from a moderate hike. I don't understand how Molly missed the trail head. It is in the North side of the Exit 190 overpass. In any event I am sorry for her frustration because this is a magnificent hike that is not too taxing. Like any hike going to roughly 12,500' I recommend an early start. We took a leisurely pace and summitted in 2 1/2 hours. Trail becomes indistinct towards the top so just follow the ridge line to the summit. Big views of Mt Holy Cross, back side of the Gore Range and Lake Dillon.

We wandered around for 30mins, watching our GPS closely and never found the trailhead! Last time someone did this hike was 2 years ago - not sure it's maintained at all. We also had to park in a lot that repeatedly got blocked in by large trucks stopping to use the bathrooms and for a brake check. I am not sure this hike exists...Or the altitude might have been messing with us ;) anyway sad to miss it as it looked great!

Monday, December 05, 2016

Sunday, September 21, 2014

This is a nice half day hike with some incredible views considering how easy it is to reach this summit. There is a trail most of the way on both sides of the mountain. I started up the south side and looped around and down the north side. It's all grass and very easy going.