Learn more

Uneva Peak is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Vail, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,925 feet Route Type: Out & Back

skiing

The pano views at the top were great. Could see back to Frisco to the east and some massive peaks in every direction. The hike up to the creek meadow was easy enough with some muddy spots. We went counter-clockwise where the loop splits. We didn’t see a trail up the mountain, so we marched up the meadow around a snow field that was probably covering the trail to the top of a ridge. Turned left at the ridge and went up a narrow path with some steep drops on both sides. I don’t love exposure or heights, so this part was uncomfortable. Continued to Uneva Peak down a gentle ridge. Lost the trail again, so made our way up the peak via the grassy face. Hike down another gentle ridge. Sharp left down a steep trail back to a snowfield. Went around the snowfield through a wide meadow and over a few streams to find the trail again.

One of my all time favorites! Great gradual incline through a forest until you clear the tree line. Few spots of snow but nothing impeding any part of the hike. Last part is definitely a beast and will require some scrambling to get to the top but totally worth it. First portion of the hike is definitely “medium” but the last part is quite steep and I would consider it to match closer to other “hard” hikes. Sensational 360 degree views and super easy to get to. Park at the rest stop and walk over the bridge.

Hiked 6/17/20 Did not summit due to snow. We got about two miles in before turning around. Lost the trail a couple times before that under snow. What we got to hike was beautiful, but very muddy, wet, and many patches of snow to get over. Wild flowers are starting to pop up, I’ll be back probably mid July to try again!

Hiked on 6/7/20 TLDR: will be perfect for normal hiking *when snow melts fully* started the hike at 930am and there was still plenty of parking. Hike started off snowless with only a couple of mounds to climb over. Around 3/4 of a mile in there was so much snow we lost the trail. We kept trucking on, trying to find something that looked like a trail but the reality was we were thigh deep in snow in a lot of places. Some areas the snow was hard enough to walk on, but most areas we kept falling through. We hit tree line and there was still a massive amount of snow on the slopes of the mountain (thigh high again here). We scrambled to get to creek (right where the loop begins) and we would not recommend. We ate the creek and bailed on the loop because there was a dumb amount of snow. We made our way back down only to discover the sun melted a bit of snow and made the trek down, much much worse. Overall the hike would be AMAZING if you give it a couple of weeks. It was so pretty, but..... so not doable with only boots right now.

Absolutely beautiful views after fresh snow.

I would say in the “normal” months this hike is probably moderate. But in late December I’d say more on the hard side, the last 1.5 miles is in very deep snow. I gave four stars because the trail is NOT marked after mile one, and so we went out of our way so many times. With that being said tho, AMAZING views!!!!! We stopped a half mile from summit, disappointing for sure but we were in such high snow and no one had been on the trail since the fresh snow. So we picked the highest point we could find (some rocks) pushed thru waist deep snow and got an amazing view!!!!

This is a great trail. Easy ascent through an evergreen forest that opens into a cirque and then the climb starts. The views from the top are 360 degrees mountains and worth the effort. THAT SAID, if there is snow on the trail, I would strongly recommend NOT doing the loop. Did this one when there wasn’t a ton of snow. We took the left trail at the loop and the trail was pretty clear all the way to the peak. Met a local couple who said they were going back down the way they came up. They were smart. The loop having come up from the left or the ascent taking the right trail at the balloon is completely unmarked. And we were using AllTrails. Ended up bushwhacking and butt sliding down a ton. Saw a couple of footprints all over that side of the cirque. Assuming they were also trying to find a way down. So do this trail, but take the left trail at the balloon and come back down it.

This trail is beautiful! The views at the top of the peak are next level. Definitely make sure to bring a windbreaker. It was a little hard to find the trail head. You have to turn left off the highway once it says you’ve arrived. We parked on the other side of the highway and just walked across to the trailhead. Also, there’s a part of the trail going up to the peak (counterclockwise) that just cuts off and we got pretty far off trail for a bit. Once we got up over the hill we found the trail, but it was about 30 minutes or so off trail. That’s why I said 4 stars, not 5, but in general Uneva peak is a beautiful hike from beginning to end. I would definitely do this trail again!

Garmin said it was 5.6 miles to the saddle. A very nice hike with great views.

great views

The trail filters in and out, and there is a fair bit of highway noise during the climb. That said, the views are spectacular. Recommend doing counterclockwise.

Still some wildflowers, but generally past their peak. Great views from the upper ridge and 360 degree views from the top! Hike to the top of Uneva is about 7 miles. We have hiked this trail several times and find that hiking the upper loop in clockwise direction is much easier than the counterclockwise direction. The hike up the ridge on your right siding looking up at the ridge is very steep and there is no trail. On your left side, you can side two trails going up and across the ridge. Overall, a very nice hike that is generally uncrowded.

Did this trail today 8/28/19. Great views. We made it up to the summit, but had to cross a challenging meadow that had no trail that we could see. Get to the top of the meadow and keep heading toward the highest point you see.

Did this hike today. We live at sea level so the altitude was a bit of a challenge. We just took it slowly. This is one of those hikes where you know you are approaching the top and then BAM!!!! The views are spectacular. DON’T STOP! Keep on keepin’ on and you will be rewarded. Still plenty of wildflowers and lovely little streams. I agree with the other reviews, when you get to the bowl, look left, go left. At the top, follow the ridge to the right and head for the rocky tip. It was blowing like crazy today and I was glad for my warmer puff jacket. Once and the top keep going right and go down opposite where you climbed up. No obvious path until you get down to stream so make your own way. For a Saturday we didn’t encounter more than a dozen people. My Apple Watch said we did 8 miles.

Great hike. I started by 7am and had the entire hike up and summit to myself. Columbines blooming at the top and marmot friends too! At the top of the open basin, you can see the trail to the left that gains the ridge toward the peak, but you have to navigate off trail a bit to connect to it. Once on the ridge, there is not really a trail either, you will have to leave it and follow the ridge right to get to the top. I loved the views and the solitude today!

Beautiful hike. I am adding it to my repertoire of Vail hikes. The trail is very confusing after the huge bowl. We hiked to the right and then lost the trail. We hiked to the top of the right side of the peak without a trail to follow. It was something that was very disturbing because we didn’t want to trample the delicate tundra. Go left instead and there’s a trail that leads straight up to the ridge and then right up to the top of Uneva Peak. Gorgeous views from the top.

Hiked to Uneva Peak. No snow on trail other than one minor location. Beautiful 360 degree view from the top. Wildflowers are just starting to bloom; will likely peak in the next few weeks.

There is still some snow, but totally manageable and it is melting quickly. I took snowshoes, but didn’t use them. There is one large snowfield in the meadow after treeline, I post-holed a few times, but it was otherwise firm snow. Once you get up to the ridge, there is no snow on the trail. This is one of my favorite hikes in the area, probably my 4th or 5th time up Uneva... can’t beat the views!

Wed Jul 03 2019

July 3rd 2019, lost the trail at about 11.1k feet due to snow. Snow was spotty up until that point. I was able to make it to the bowl at 11.8k just below the peak before deciding to turn back. The basin below the peak still has snow 3 feet deep or more. I post holed until I couldn’t any more.

Sun Jun 30 2019

Great first hike with kids. Really good views of the Gore range and back to the south. Trail is easy to follow and you get the views above tree line pretty quick.

Tue Sep 25 2018

Hiked 9/9/18, and it is absolutely NOT easy unless you're a mountain runner. Moderate for sure. I parked on the south side of I-70 exit 190, in the lot labeled overnight and snowmobiler (it was daytime with no snow). Walk across the overpass and the trail is dead ahead. Expect I-70 noise until the bowl. Going right there, the trail vanishes on the grassy slope, but you can walk anywhere up to the ridge. All the grass appears healthy, so people walking there have not hurt it. As a 69-yr-old from AL, I tired out just before the final climb up the knob, but views were nice on the ridge.

Mon Jul 23 2018

Hiked today not knowing what this would be, but just wanted to do a shorter hike on the way back home to Northern Co. We went as far as the bowl just below the peak. Wish we would have had more time, but we will be coming back again to explore the top. Not sure why KC couldn't find the trail farther up. Yes, there is some bushwacking trails but we found them to be short and ended back up on the main trail anyway. Pretty well established as far as we went. Wildflowers were awesome!!!!! Also the view to the west from the bowl area where we stopped was excellent. I would maybe rate this as Easy/Moderate with the 1900 foot gain, and there were a few fairly steep inclines.

Sun Jul 08 2018

Loved this beautiful hike until about 2.3 miles - the trail disappears and to get to where it continues, the hard uphill, it seems like you have bushwhack. I don’t like bushwhacking, it destroys the environment and really there should be a clear path. I tried going right but the path totally disappeared. Am not comfortable heading into unchartered territory without a map - AllTrails wouldn’t let me record my hike, then it stopped working all together when the trail disappeared, even though I had downloaded it.

Sat Jun 02 2018

the trail was gorgeous, but there was too much powdery snow to reach the summit. it's definitely worth the hike to see the lower meadow, but the peak probably won't be accessible without snowshoes for another few weeks.

Wed Aug 09 2017

Rated as easy. But for a lowlander from Kansas City, I would rate it as moderate to hard. But, a great hike nonetheless! A lot of uphill trekking with awesome views. Lots of wild flowers. And we even met a friendly Marmot by the bowl.