Uneva Pass Trail

Uneva Pass Trail is a 18.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Frisco, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 18.3 miles Elevation Gain: 4,530 feet Route Type: Out & Back

If you do not want to hike this trail as an out and back trail, you can leave a car at Gore trailhead or by the Conoco and hike over the pass, descending via North Tenmile.

Backpacked from copper mtn. Across Uneva pass to Eccles pass and down meadow creek to Frisco. The hike from copper mtn trailhead to lost lake was very pretty, but there’s a section about a third away from the top of the pass that has a very steep cross slope of fairly loose gravel with a large drop of. We were carrying heavy packs, however we didn’t feel safe going down it and had to change plans. Descending from the pass on the north side there was one section of trail that was covered with snow and impassable, but we were able to scramble around it. We camped at the unnamed lake, which was beautiful.

I don’t think anyone does this as the out and back shown. Over the pass, then down to tenmile creek and back over the pass seems nuts. Most leave a car at Gore trailhead or by the Conoco and hike over the pass and descend via North Tenmile where you leave a second car, or get a ride. This is what I did today and it was lovely. You could also hike to the pass and descend the way you came.

Saturday, September 15, 2018

Hiked this yesterday, fourth time over the years. We always start from the Frisco Main St trailhead. You can use the Summit stage to return to start or vice versa if you start at Copper Mountain.

Sunday, August 20, 2017

We did this one as part of our backpacking route on the Gore Range Trail so I can't speak to the out and back route. This pass is just great. It's a slow and steady incline with constant views of copper and peak 1 (I think). We started at wheeler junction (south of wheeler lakes) and took the Gore trail the whole way. I would definitely recommend and do this hike again.

Monday, August 01, 2016

This is a great trail but much shorter than described. Both my Garmin and Gaia GPS measured the trail at about 13 miles round trip from the parking area. I went straight to Uneva Pass without checking out Wheeler Lake, which I'll do another time.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

One of the best trails you'll ever hike and certainly one of my favorites. Yes, it is long. You start at the parking area along I-70 and for the first half-mile to 3/4 mile, the sounds of traffic on I-70 can be heard; the Copper Mountain ski area is directly across I-70 to the south. After the 1-mile mark you've left civilization completely. The trail ascends gently to Wheeler Lakes with views of the Tenmile Range to the east. After that you continue upwards with several flat stretches to Lost Lake. The trail continues with one steep push up to Uneva Pass at 11,900 feet in the final stretch and then you have amazing views of Uneva Peak to the west, the Gore Range to the north, and the Tenmile Range to the east. Well worth it. Allow at least 6 hours to the pass and back and of course, take plenty of water.

Sunday, July 24, 2016