Twin Sisters Peak Trail

Twin Sisters Peak Trail is a 7.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and snowshoeing and is best used from May until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.5 miles Elevation Gain: 2,516 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Estes Park: Follow Hwy 7 south past the Lily Lake Visitor Center to the turnoff for the Twin Peaks Trailhead. The trailhead is located just east of Hwy 7. [If road to trailhead is closed, additional parking is available less than a mile down the road at S St Vrain Ave and Lily Lake Trailhead.]

definitely recommend spikes

icy

The trail was pretty icy. I went without spikes or poles but I think many would probably prefer them. I started from the parking lot at 1:30 which is a bit late in the day for this time of year. My plan was to turn around at 3 regardless of where I was on the trail but I managed to summit by just about 3. I jogged down most of it (which wasn't the smartest thing because it was very slick and I did fall twice,) but they weren't bad falls and I returned to the parking lot just after 4. Highly recommend this trail. It was fun and the views at the top are worth it. Next time, I will make sure I have more time to explore the peaks and enjoy the views a bit longer.

icy

Trail is mostly in great shape, some slick areas down in the trees due to freezing snow. Summit/above treeline has very little snow.

Pretty much perfect conditions on 10/19. Chilly temperatures and the wind was going pretty good above treeline (a couple gusts almost strong enough to knock me down) but otherwise bluebird skies. Only a small section of snow and ice. I did whip out my micro spikes just for my own comfort but I didn’t see anyone else with them on. I was the 9th car in line when I pulled up at 8:30am but there were probably about 2 dozen when I left at 1:30. I did it in about 4.5 hours but I’m also a pretty slow hiker. I was psyched up for this being an absolute monster of a trail but I was actually pleasantly surprised at how manageable it was. Straight up and straight down yes, but it wasn’t the steepest trail I’ve ever been on. Most difficult place was the new stairs after the landslide area. Views were glorious.

10/19 hike. great views, pretty steep in the middle and mile 3 was icy but easily manageable without spikes. last half mile very exposed and windy, bring some layers.

You know that thing they say about wearing layers? Well it’s true. This was a great hike. Steep Incline makes it hard. The middle third of the trail is most difficult. Once you are above the tree line, the views are spectacular. It is very very windy at the summit and the 360° views are amazing. Finding parking was easy and the trail is clearly marked. We started around 1230PM and finished around 5:30 PM, taking our time and breaks as needed. Also, just when you think you have enough water for the hike, take some more. Above the tree line, there was some light snow but trail shoes are sufficient, you don’t need any spikes.

Hiked trail on 10/16, leaving at 8:30 AM. Took 4.5 hours with stops for pictures, and spending some time at the top. Clips were helpful the last 1.2 miles. Cold and windy up top with light snow and some ice on the trail. Hard rating on trail mostly due to final third of the hike up, with more steep climbing. Stunning views from the top.

Solid trail, started at 1245 finished at 330, spent an hour meditating at “summit”. Good sweeping alpine meadow views. Straight uphill the whole time and straight downhill on the descent. 6 cars at start, 0 cars at finish.

Hiked today (10/12/19). Started at 8:35am and were back at the car at 12:30 after stopping for pics along the way and eating some bars at the top. Conditions were cold and windy (~20*F) on the way up and the trail had light snow (most places 2”, more near the summit) and a moderate amount of ice but was fine with only hiking boots (no spikes or trekking poles). It was much warmer below the tree line on the way back. I would say the “hard” rating was accurate, mostly due to rapid elevation gain which really keeps you working. Overall a great hike and the beautiful 360 views at the top were totally worth it!

We hiked this today (10/5/19) starting at 8:30 this morning. Only met a few people going up the rest were at the top or when we were coming down. It started out cold and windy but we were protected by the trees. At the top the winds were gusty and strong. Only mild scrambling to get to the top. I would rate this moderate until last third or so is much steeper. It is a stunning hike with incredible vistas. I would certainly do it again. No dogs or horses are allowed. Horses due to the 2013 flood caused damage and the signs said no horses. A bonus across the road is Lily Lake. Eight miles round trip according to my Garmin from the parking lot.

Great hike! Started about 8AM and was back at the car by about 12:30PM. AllTrails stopped recording partway though so the mileage / time on my recording is not accurate; my friends’ said 8 miles though. Awesome hike, very windy at the top. Bring layers! Great views of the surrounding area and you could see the aspens popping in clumps across the mountains! Well-maintained trail also, even with the 2013 flood issues (which are fixed now but you can tell which areas had problems due to downed trees, washout, etc).

Very awesome views, was a sea of clouds when we hiked up and cascading fall views all the way down. Pretty much straight up and then straight down!

Perfect Hike! Make sure to go up the dirt path further to get to the trailhead, we got there around 3 PM on a Saturday and were able to go up and back by sunset! Great scramble near the top and elevation gain all the way up. Aspens look beautiful and you get above the clouds. Bring a jacket for the top!

Super beautiful hike! Started hiking at 6:45 and we barely saw anyone on the trail. Saw a lot more people on the descent. Took us 2 hours and 45 minutes to get to the top and then about an hour and 15 minutes down for a total of four hours hiking. We'd rate this hike as moderate/difficult. There's a few tricky sections, but overall it's a really well maintained trail. We saw lots of pika's on our way up the rocky section and the views at the top were gorgeous! Super great hike (though the top was very windy)!

Moderate difficulty, epic views !

Here from Pennsylvania. My brother and I age 25 and 21 hit this trail today Friday Sept 27 at 5:30AM to beat the rain. Got back to the parking lot at 9:45am and only past about 10 people. To park don’t stop in the lot, drive up the dirt road and park on the right side. It takes you way closer to the trail head. I would definitely rank this hike as hard. When comparing it to many other 7-10mile hikes in this area it definitely was a step up in difficult due to quick elevation gain and pretty up hill the entire time. I do think this is able to be done by anyone comfortable with walking 8+ miles up hill. To first time Estes Park visitors I may not recommend it but for 2nd and 3rd trips it is perfect. The view at the top is awesome. Would have been nice to have more energy because there was a ton of exploring at the top that could have been done. Tips: Ankle support shoes/boots It got fairly chilly at the top, bring a wind breaker

What a workout! A lot of steep parts to keep you breathing hard on the way up (especially when you’re not used to the altitude). Beautifully maintained. No mud. Took us about 4.5 hours round trip, not counting the snack break we took at the top. Rocky at the top, and does require a bit of scrambling on the way up, and definitely on the way down due to some bigger rocks to maneuver around. Really amazing view at the top. Make sure to make your way past the radio tower and up to the very top of the peak (it’s somewhat hidden, but if you look around you’ll find a path).

Nice workout! Beautiful view, and not a ton of ppl! Loved it!

Mostly steep trek through trees, definitely better above the treeline