Twin Sisters Peak Trail [CLOSED]

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(981)
Rocky Mountain National Park

Twin Sisters Peak Trail is a 7.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and snowshoeing and is best used from May until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.5 miles Elevation Gain: 2,516 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information. The hike up Twin Sisters Peak is hard especially when there is loose snow and ice patches. Once you reach the top you will be rewarded with wonderful views. As you reach the summit, the trail becomes very steep and windy. Check the weather ahead of time and bring the appropriate gear for the conditions.

Really fun hike - not the toughest we’ve done but we still really enjoyed it! The views at the top are amazing and the weather was really nice up there today. Not too much wind and the temperature was perfect. We started our hike around 2pm and finished at 6:30pm. There’s a little snow as you approach the top and it’s a bit muddy due to it melting, so bring water proof shoes if possible. Overall really awesome hike!

Great trail on the outskirts of RMNP that provides incredible views of Long’s from the top. Still a bit of snow to navigate through right before the treeline but nothing that requires traction. Took about 90 minutes to get to the top, where we stayed and soaked in the sun and views for a while. Trail was pretty busy but everyone was giving plenty of space and practicing social distancing.

Two areas of snowpack to cross but nothing too crazy. Beautiful views of Longs, Ypsilon, Evans, and Pikes!

Great trail! Small patches of snow towards top. It took about 4.5 hours total with a long break at the top.

Great trail. The first almost 3 miles up is in the forest. There are a number of views that are fantastic. The last half mile is above tree line and very rocky trail. There was some snow the last quarter of mile in the trees. Mostly you can go by it a few places traverse through it but easy in trail runners. Views from the top are excellent looking at Longs, Meeker, and the front range high country. Today had some haze but could still see Pikes Peak 100 miles to the south in the morning.

Trail is reopen! Almost no snow and folks were overall great about giving distance on the trail. I expect parking will fill up fast on weekends. Please remember you can’t bring dogs- I see people try about every other time I hit this trail.

closed
icy

We were following the track and what we thought was trail but there is couple steep shortcuts fyi fine with just spikes my friend had just boots.. didn’t needed snowshoes. Having something to cover your face like a ski mask saved me at the windy peek. 03/22/20 also by the time we got back we saw cones and shoulder barricades permitting car from parking lot that were not there before the hike.. I guess since they are shutting rmnp they are also shutting every other way to hike.. I live in Estes Park and was trying to keep sane with something that I thought was gonna be isolated hike and for the most part it was. We saw 7 other people total for whole hike. But at the end there was much more cars park on side of the road since all parking was closed

This is a STEEP hike! I watched several people get to the avalanche part and turn back. But the view is the most beautiful thing I think I have ever seen. It’s a tough hike, one they use for training for monumental mountains like Summit’s Long. I’m 15 and I hike almost every weekend. It was a little tough for me, but it BEAT my mom up. She barely made it up, and I bought her a sweatshirt at the bottom. Make sure weather works because I’m all for hiking in the rain but when you are that high, you are at risk for lightning strikes being the highest thing in the area. The top is cool because there isn’t anything taller than a shrub up there because of the elevation. Make sure you get acclimated to the lessened pressure before going or you might vomit/pass out! Make sure to take water, this lessens the effect of lower oxygen.

icy

I love this trail. Mostly woods for the first half but you get some glimmers of views. As soon as you get above tree line, you are rewarded. I’d recommend spikes - trail is almost completely covered in snow 3/16/20. Also approach road is closed so you walk a 1/4-mile to the trailhead. Get an early start so you’re not slipping in slush late in the day. Views at the summit are fantastic; can be windy so recommend wearing or packing a jacket that will break the wind.

Beautiful day!!! Definitely recommend spikes.

The trail is in excellent shape for a winter hike. Bring your spikes. No snowshoes necessary. Hit the trail a hair before 8 AM and finished around noon. Took a little less than four hours moving but spent at least 40 minutes stopped here and there to take photos and have a snack at the top. Very little wind and no postholing on the way down as a result of going early.

icy

packed snow, microspikes highly recommended. Amazing views, brutally windy day today.