Twin Sisters Peak Trail

Twin Sisters Peak Trail is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Estes Park: Follow Hwy 7 south past the Lily Lake Visitor Center to the turnoff for the Twin Peaks Trailhead. The trailhead is located just east of Hwy 7. [If road to trailhead is closed, additional parking is available less than a mile down the road at S St Vrain Ave and Lily Lake Trailhead.]

Hiked Sunday January 13th

Trail is packed snow. We wore microspikes as did most others we saw. The last half mile is a little less packed but not worth bringing snowshoes for. The parking lot was nearly empty around 9 AM but completely full upon our return in early afternoon.

Hiked/trail ran this 1/10/19. Snow is mostly packed so microspikes recommended, although I think more snow is changing that today. You’re in the trees with occasional peeks of Longs etc and more at the path were the flood came through. It’s fairly steady steepness in the switchback until the last mile before the saddle & then it has a few more fluctuation in flat/steep sections near the tree line & scrambles at the top. From the parking lot, it was about 3.5ish miles to the saddle between the twin sisters. I went to the West most sister first since it’s not much scrambling to get up there. Just rock scrambled up the other side. The tops are somewhat jagged/uneven & narrow so go cautiously, especially in windy conditions. Beautiful views though! I stopped to take a lot of photos but I left my car about 11:35 and got back at 3:58 (after running sections on the way down).

Did this hike a couple days ago due to RMNP being closed. Not nearly enough snow for snowshoes but the trail was packed snow and ice pretty much the whole way so microspikes are highly recommended. Consistently steep pretty much the whole way. The last mile or so is completely exposed so be sure to pack some layers as the weather at the top can be drastically different than the bottom. Views from the top make the effort worth it!

We had a beautiful winter day. Bring the spikes and consider 1 mile in plus for the total lenght, from the parking lot to where the trail begins and ends . On the top was windy and on descent it start snowing. Some says they feel as being moderate, but fitnesses level is different from person to person, consider the elevation gain the most important aspect in choosing this hike. If you feel you are confident and fit, then its for you. So, happy hiking!

Hiked this two days ago on a whim and we loved it. We wore microspikes for both ascent and descent as the snow was packed and there were some icy sections. The views from the top were stunning and the final ascent in the rock field was fun. Challenging heading up with ~2,400 ft gain in 3 miles, but very easy descent.

Hiked Twin Sisters Peaks Trail on Christmas Day 2018. Great day... great weather. Trail was hard packed pretty much the entire way. A few spots of exposed trail...a few icy sections. Excellent views at the peaks. Really enjoyed this hike. Very reasonable. Not technical. Wore micro spikes on the descent which made quite a difference since a few areas are a bit steep with some ice.

Hiked in April while there was still a decent amount of snow/ice. Hiking poles were definitely helpful, microspikes or yak tracks probably would’ve been helpful. Nice hike with incredible panoramic views at the top and nice lookouts on the way up as well.

Super fun trail. Beautiful panoramas at the top. Two peak hike - highest to the left with a fun rock scramble to the top. Packed snow the whole way up. I used spikes but others I saw (total of 6 people) did not even have them on. Took a total of 4 hours with a break at the top. Seems like more of a moderate hike to me.

Completed hike on 12/8. Very rewarding view of Longs and the Mummys. Add at least a 1/4 mile from parking lot to the trail head. Began at 10:30 and was on the first summit by 1. Snow pack almost the entire way- much deeper at RMNP/National Forest boundary marker. Crampons definitely recommended. Can easily summit both "sisters" within an hour (plus lunch). We were lucky to have minimal wind at the summit, but it was cold- roughly 15 degrees and colder with wind chill. All around amazing, not too difficult of a hike even with the snow. Plan to be back in the parking lot by 4:30 (sunset).

Great hike and view from the top spectacular!

Little cold and windy today. The trail was pretty well packed with occasional snow drifts but nothing crazy. Able to make it to both peaks. I was fine with spikes and gaiters. The road is closed maybe half mile from the actual trailhead but if you park in the little lot by the gate I don't think it adds more than a mile round trip.

Significantly longer than the official 7.5 miles due to the winter road closure at the parking lot just off Hwy 7. You’ll walk up a snow covered road a long way before getting to the trailhead and starting the actual hike. Micro spikes got the job done, though there were some deep spots above tree line, approaching the summit. Amazing views of EP, parts of RMNP and out to the plains.

Steady climb on this, not too taxing for a local. Had a friend in from MN who did all right. Trail is a boot pack, snow the whole way up, 0"-10" and slushy on the way down. Would have been prudent to have snowshoes past the NP/SF boundary marker, but we summited in approach shoes and got a little wet. Good views on top with high winds and clouds sailing past. 4.5 hours round trip and only saw 7 other people out today.

did this in Sept 2016. great hike

Just what I was looking for! My second day in Colorado and this was a great challenge. Took 2 1/2 hours up, wish I had spikes on my running shoes at the top, but I made due. Windy at the top!! I also want to mention, I am not a hiker.

Really fun hike. Hiked on 25th Oct and started around 9am. We didn't have crampons or microspikes and did find the snow and ice a little slippy in patches but still totally doable in hiking shoes. We found hiking poles useful. The view at the top is breathtaking. West peak is easier to get up than east, but my husband did both without too much trouble.

Hiked this trail with my fiancé on 10/21 around 10 AM. Lots of parking spaces available and hardly anyone on the trail- We were able to get to the top in 3 hours with plenty of breaks thanks to our trekking poles and crampons. More than half the trail is covered in snow and ice. The summit was absolutely beautiful. There is a spot for you to sit and take in the view. You get a great view of Longs Peak and Estes Park. We don’t recommend going to the East twin peak as there is no trail to the top and falling rocks make it super dangerous. It took us 1.5 hours to get down. Best hike in Estes Park!

Hiked this in the afternoon on the 18th. First time to the park and the trail. Wonderful day. Due to some traffic, I made it to peak with trail running shoes...just a couple slick spots.

Hiked Twin Sisters trail on Oct 19, 2018. left parking area at 7 am and had the trail to myself. Some areas were snow covered with packed snow and ice. Bring Yak tracks! Beautiful 360 views from the peak.

Hello twins ;)

Deep snow about 1 mile from the summit, would recommend snow shoes or waterproof boots. Otherwise great views and beautiful trail.

Loved this hike! A light dusting of snow, still air, and a blanket of clouds resting below the summit with immaculate views of Longs and Meeker.

Hiked 10/6. Started 9:15am, summit by 11:55am. Nice switchbacks thru the Alpine’s with gorgeous views of Longs Peak above the clouds.

Great hike. Started a little late in the day around 2:30p. Made it to the summit by a little after 4p, and back to the car by 6. Loved the views, and the quietness of the forest contrasted with the fierce wind at the summit.

Awesome views, not too many people, great hike

Super fun with great views and awesome switchbacks. Pretty comfortable as well.

Absolutely amazing hike. Not crowded at all so it's great for enjoying the nature of it all. There are a few places where it gets tough but the views from the top are totally worth it. 100% would recommend this if you want to get away from the crowds at some of the other places in the park!

Worth the long climb up for the 360 panoramic views. RMNP at its very best.
Recommend doing on a day without winds as your are very high up and exposed. Parking was fine though we hiked midweek.

This is a great hike with beautiful views of Longs Peak! This was one of our favorite hikes after a week of hiking in RMNP including Long’s Peak.

We hiked this trail in mid-April. Absolutely beautiful hike! The way up was more difficult than we anticipated - we stopped frequently towards the summit, but we are from Ohio we were not acclimated to the altitude. Getting near and above tree line was very snowy, very cold and very very windy!! We stayed on the summit for about 20-30 min before we retreated due to the harsh conditions. But it was a beautiful, sunny day, just a bit early in the season. It was our first summit hike; and we just completed our second in Lake Tahoe.