Turquoise Lakes Trail is a 15 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Avon, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 15.0 miles Elevation Gain: 3,316 feet Route Type: Out & Back

A nice mountain hike along Beaver Creek to the trout filled Turquoise Lakes. After Beverl Lake, the trail narrows to a singletrack back country trail unlike the wider pack trail in to Beaver Lake. While this leg of the trip rises another 1500 feet, it does so over a 4 miles as opposed to 3. This makes for a pretty gentle grade for most of the rest of the trek. There are a few steep points here and there however. There are many stream crossings to make along the trail. None are quite as violent as the stream crossing below beaver lake, so there are no large bridges. Careful foot work and the help of logs will get you by high and dry. After winding through the pines you will come to large meadow. Back into the trees again, the next clearing will be at Lower Turquoise Lake. Continue further along the sometimes hard to follow trail and you will find Upper Turquoise. You may return on the same trail or climb Grouse Mountain and leave via West Grouse Creek or explore more of the Holy Cross Wilderness.

We hiked this 5/19/20 and camped at the first lake (free dispersed camping). Wasn't really keeping track of time, but for the last hour or so there was knee to waist deep snow that you would sometimes fall through the top layer of. It was snowy enough we decided not to go any further. Was a beautiful place to camp and we were the only ones there. It was pretty cold, below freezing, and we only had one sleeping bag for 2 people so recommend preparing more than we did. Our shoes got soaked from the snow and we had frozen shoes in the morning. Plenty of places to fill water along the way. We parked at the beaver creek parking deck which was completely empty. The woman at the gate to the resort tried to tell us the mountain was closed, but we had spoken to 2 rangers that morning, and she let us through anyway.

Beautiful hike!! Hiked this 10/19/19, and the trail was covered in snow. The trail was mostly easy to follow, but we had to look at our map 4-5 times when we were unsure where to go. Not a hard hike, but a long one! Took us 5.5 hours. We parked for free at the parking garage so our total mileage was around 16 miles. We didn't see a single other person after we passed Beaver Lake!

What an awesome hike. About 16.75 miles round trip from the beaver creek parking deck. Lots of opportunities to pump water along the way so didn’t have to pack multiple liters. After Beaver Lake the elevation gain becomes very moderate and the scenery is just amazing.

One of the best hikes I've ever been on. Definitely rated at a high difficulty just because of the distance. My wife and I started at little ski village, hiked through the old ski slopes and stopped at each of the three lakes. Back down the same way and we clocked it 18 miles. Even for fairly experienced hikers, that's a hell of a lot of hiking for one day. if you are up for the challenge it's totally worth it though. All three lakes are beautiful places to stop for a break and the meadows can have some beautiful wildflowers some of the year. Just be sure to start early, pack a ton of water, and food for energy. We did it in about ten hours, exhausted, feet hurting but very proud of our accomplishment. Side note: watch out for the greedy chipmunks at Beaver Lake.

if you are up for a big challenge, you can try the following: Start from Beaver creek village through the 5 senses trail, leave Beaver lake on your right and go all the way up to Upper Turquoise lake, go back to lower Turquoise lake, then climb back up through Grouse Mountain trail and return through West Grouse Creek Trail. We totaled a little bit over 18 miles . Here is the catch though; we got lost at the pass of Grouse Mountain right at the junction leading to West Grouse creek trail, we followed the cairns but never found the trail just after the sign to West Grouse and had to plunge down into the forest to try to get back to the main trail. this was brutal, took us two more hours of scrambling among the dead trees, heavy foliage and a wet environment due to the proximity of the creek. Would love to hear from our fellow hikers where I might have missed the trail though. Anyway, great experience, a bit of adrenaline and a lot of exhaustion after 10 hours on the road !

The most amazing hiking experience! Views were unbelievable, and so was the wilderness. We had an amazing time. Make sure to bring food because it is very long. We took our dogs and they were fine but we let them stop to have water and jump on every lake and stream we saw. That helped them recover. Highly recommend!

Beautiful trail, pleasant variety of scenery, and the end lake is gorgeous. I ended up hopping in to cool off and the water was frigid. Dog friendly, but watch out, it is a rather long hike. If you go, bring lots of water and bug spray. I was eaten alive at the various lakes.

Hiked this one from the Beaver Creek resort area 7/3. Got within 1 mile of the upper lake and had to turn back because we had to watch our time. Too much snow still. Lots of post holing. We made our own trail for the most part but found the path here and there where snow had melted so we knew we were on track. There were NO other footprints up there. Whoever attempts it next can follow ours prints and save a lot of time. GPS said 7.7 miles when we turned back. Also, note the meadow area near the lower lake is under water. Pretty much a swamp. Be prepared to get soaked. We rung out our socks and emptied water out our hiking boots more than once. By the way we did this one last summer, without snow- it’s a breeze once you pass Beaver Lake and ABSOLUTELY breathtaking at the end.

Super fun hiking through the snow. Easy hike to get to the lake

Wed Aug 29 2018

Beautiful trail and stunning lakes.

Mon Aug 20 2018

It is bountiful lake and trail

Tue Aug 14 2018

definitely worth making the extra miles!

Sun Aug 12 2018

Great hike with beautiful views! Worth it to go to the upper lake. Left at 7:30am on a Sunday morning and on the way up only ran into a few people. On the way back, once you get closer to Beaver Lake, lots more traffic. Took us about 6.5 hours starting from Beaver Creek / Five Senses Trail. Out and back was about 16 miles. Trail is easy to follow.

Wed Aug 08 2018

I and a coworker hiked up on a day off. As previous reviews have stated, the most technically demanding portion of the hike is getting to beaver lake. The beaver lake portion is heavily trafficked, and while nice, it in no way compares to the second portion of the hike. Once you pass Beaver lake the tourist traffic dies down immensely. It’s very serene, much less physically taxing and overall a much more enjoyable hike. It’s another 4-5 miles to get to turquoise lakes but you cover ground much quicker and believe me, the payoff is SOOOOO worth it. I highly recommend continuing on to the second lake as it’s very close and it sits directly under the mountain. This next portion I highly discourage without previous experience with scrambling loose terrain, but I still want to tell about it. I (being the adrenaline junkie I am) decided to climb straight up to the ridge-line of the mountain and the payoff was a magnificent view of the next mountain range over as well as access to the summit of Mount Jackson. But once again, I highly discourage this unless you have experience ascending steep loose terrain as the route up needs to be carefully picked.

Sat Jul 07 2018

Beautiful trail. Lots of native cutthroats in the upper lake.

Sun Aug 13 2017

The last review is right. It has the hike staring at the bottom of Lift 10 but you can't access that. You start in Beaver Creek Village and have about a 1.5 mile hike to get to where this says it starts. The trail goes past Beaver Lake so you can follow from where that hike starts. It was about 15.5 miles for us total. The hardest part is to Beaver Lake, the climb after that is very gradual. The trail is wet, along streams the entire way and has great wildflowers. I've hiked this several times and once ran into hikers that we're running from a bear (I never saw it) and have heard from many hikers that they've seen moose on the trail (never saw them either). I have however run into some scary lightening storms a few times. I try to be off that mountain by 1:00.

Fri Jul 28 2017

Such a beautiful hike. Loved it :-)

Thu Jul 27 2017

7-27-17 The trail directions send you up to an area that is not accessible to the public. You actually have to park in the Gerald Ford parking garage, which is where I started. It adds a good 3.2 - 3.4 miles onto the total trip. I made it out and back in 5.5 hrs (including rest time) and clocked it at 15.1 miles. This is definitely one of the most challenging and beautiful hikes I've been on. I think of it as having three parts: 1) parking lot to Beaver Lake; 2) Beaver Lake to the Mt. Grouse split; 3) Lower and Upper Turquoise Lakes. Part 1 is definitely the steepest part. You can take the 5 Senses Trail up from the parking garage or just follow the road like I did. Then, you take the Beaver Lake trail up. Once you get passed Beaver Lake, Part 2 is a little easier on the quads. It's more rolling there and lots of small and medium stream crossing. I didn't find this trail easy to get lost on other than one section towards the end of Part 2, but I easily back tracked and found the right way. All the fallen trees mentioned in previous posts have been cut and removed from blocking the path. The only fallen trees I saw were to keep you from going the wrong way. Part 3 has a small log you have to use to cross a stream, which was a bit challenging for me, but I made it fine both ways. After you see the lower Turquoise Lake (more swampy, but still pretty), you'll have about 10-20 minutes more (depending on how fast you hike) of steeper hiking til you reach Upper Turquoise Lake (the prettier of the two). Plus, many of the gorgeous wildflowers (see photos I posted) were on that stretch. The best part of this hike is the last 2 miles. It's tough to do it on a time constraint like I did, but it was so worth it! You can camp in that area of the Holy Cross Wilderness, but know that there are quite a few bugs this time of year when you reach the Turquoise Lakes. Check the waypoints I added for descriptions of where things are on the trail. Also, can confirm there is no snow on any part of the trail at this time.

Wed Jul 19 2017

This is a beautiful trail, very peaceful and lightly trafficked. However, keep in mind that it's wilderness, so signage is minimal and there are 12 or so trees down across the trail. All could be managed by going under, over or around. Take a good topo map, because it's not always "intuitive" as the Vail Hiker book says. The lower Turquoise Lake was small and required crossing a very skinny log over the rocky creek bed. We were fortunate to have a cool day, but the plants were very damp with rain and dew an as a result, so were my socks and shoes. Glad I had packed extras. There was no snow left as of July 14.

Wed Jul 05 2017

Any update on snow cover on this trail :)?

Mon May 29 2017

Great hike, the upper two lakes are still almost entirely covered with ice and snow. Took a bit longer because the trail was seldom visible under the snow once you get a little past beaver lake. I plan to do the trip again after the snow melt.

Sat Jul 02 2016

Great hike with a beautiful payoff at the end. Out and back was a full day and my knees were pretty shot by the time we got back. Would like to camp overnight next time.

Fri Aug 28 2015

Well worth the trip to see the pristine lake, beautiful meadows of flowers and snow. Experienced some sleeting on the way back so be prepared for anything. (July)

Sat May 23 2015

Great hike. And you can go over the pass to fancy lake to make a loop of your not looking for an out and back

Tue Jul 23 2013

One mile uphill to the crystal clear lake and water falls, with beautiful canyon and rocky mountain vistas. We hike this trail every time we travel to Colorado. Medium to easy hike.

Tue Jul 23 2013

Great workout trail. Fun to camp then bike.