Turquoise Lakes Trail

Turquoise Lakes Trail is a 15 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Avon, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A nice mountain hike along Beaver Creek to the trout filled Turquoise Lakes. After Beverl Lake, the trail narrows to a singletrack back country trail unlike the wider pack trail in to Beaver Lake. While this leg of the trip rises another 1500 feet, it does so over a 4 miles as opposed to 3. This makes for a pretty gentle grade for most of the rest of the trek. There are a few steep points here and there however. There are many stream crossings to make along the trail. None are quite as violent as the stream crossing below beaver lake, so there are no large bridges. Careful foot work and the help of logs will get you by high and dry. After winding through the pines you will come to large meadow. Back into the trees again, the next clearing will be at Lower Turquoise Lake. Continue further along the sometimes hard to follow trail and you will find Upper Turquoise. You may return on the same trail or climb Grouse Mountain and leave via West Grouse Creek or explore more of the Holy Cross Wilderness.

The last review is right. It has the hike staring at the bottom of Lift 10 but you can't access that. You start in Beaver Creek Village and have about a 1.5 mile hike to get to where this says it starts. The trail goes past Beaver Lake so you can follow from where that hike starts. It was about 15.5 miles for us total. The hardest part is to Beaver Lake, the climb after that is very gradual. The trail is wet, along streams the entire way and has great wildflowers. I've hiked this several times and once ran into hikers that we're running from a bear (I never saw it) and have heard from many hikers that they've seen moose on the trail (never saw them either). I have however run into some scary lightening storms a few times. I try to be off that mountain by 1:00.

Such a beautiful hike. Loved it :-)

7-27-17 The trail directions send you up to an area that is not accessible to the public. You actually have to park in the Gerald Ford parking garage, which is where I started. It adds a good 3.2 - 3.4 miles onto the total trip. I made it out and back in 5.5 hrs (including rest time) and clocked it at 15.1 miles.
This is definitely one of the most challenging and beautiful hikes I've been on. I think of it as having three parts: 1) parking lot to Beaver Lake; 2) Beaver Lake to the Mt. Grouse split; 3) Lower and Upper Turquoise Lakes. Part 1 is definitely the steepest part. You can take the 5 Senses Trail up from the parking garage or just follow the road like I did. Then, you take the Beaver Lake trail up. Once you get passed Beaver Lake, Part 2 is a little easier on the quads. It's more rolling there and lots of small and medium stream crossing. I didn't find this trail easy to get lost on other than one section towards the end of Part 2, but I easily back tracked and found the right way. All the fallen trees mentioned in previous posts have been cut and removed from blocking the path. The only fallen trees I saw were to keep you from going the wrong way. Part 3 has a small log you have to use to cross a stream, which was a bit challenging for me, but I made it fine both ways. After you see the lower Turquoise Lake (more swampy, but still pretty), you'll have about 10-20 minutes more (depending on how fast you hike) of steeper hiking til you reach Upper Turquoise Lake (the prettier of the two). Plus, many of the gorgeous wildflowers (see photos I posted) were on that stretch. The best part of this hike is the last 2 miles. It's tough to do it on a time constraint like I did, but it was so worth it! You can camp in that area of the Holy Cross Wilderness, but know that there are quite a few bugs this time of year when you reach the Turquoise Lakes. Check the waypoints I added for descriptions of where things are on the trail. Also, can confirm there is no snow on any part of the trail at this time.

This is a beautiful trail, very peaceful and lightly trafficked. However, keep in mind that it's wilderness, so signage is minimal and there are 12 or so trees down across the trail. All could be managed by going under, over or around. Take a good topo map, because it's not always "intuitive" as the Vail Hiker book says. The lower Turquoise Lake was small and required crossing a very skinny log over the rocky creek bed. We were fortunate to have a cool day, but the plants were very damp with rain and dew an as a result, so were my socks and shoes. Glad I had packed extras. There was no snow left as of July 14.

Any update on snow cover on this trail :)?

Great hike, the upper two lakes are still almost entirely covered with ice and snow. Took a bit longer because the trail was seldom visible under the snow once you get a little past beaver lake. I plan to do the trip again after the snow melt.

Monday, August 15, 2016

Saturday, July 02, 2016

Great hike with a beautiful payoff at the end. Out and back was a full day and my knees were pretty shot by the time we got back. Would like to camp overnight next time.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Friday, August 28, 2015

Well worth the trip to see the pristine lake, beautiful meadows of flowers and snow. Experienced some sleeting on the way back so be prepared for anything. (July)

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Great hike. And you can go over the pass to fancy lake to make a loop of your not looking for an out and back

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

One mile uphill to the crystal clear lake and water falls, with beautiful canyon and rocky mountain vistas. We hike this trail every time we travel to Colorado. Medium to easy hike.