Turkey Trot Trail

Turkey Trot Trail is a 3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Morrison, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Turkey Trot Trail is 1.87 miles out and back, but the turn around point is a junction with Castle Trail which can be used to make it a loop. It is located near Morrison, Colorado and features views of Denver, Red Rocks Amphitheater, and wildlife. It is a relatively easy hike and is exclusively use

great hike. Saw some deer. Cool ruins. Hikers, horses and mountain bikes

Great easy hike for my friend, myself and our two dogs!

First time hiking a moderate trail. I arrived about 8:30am on a Saturday when I left around 10:15am the parking lot was full and people where parking along the road.

I am still a new hiker so I had to stop multiple times up the incline and was passed by a few people 10-15 years older than me haha .. but it's a fun challenging hike .. I even saw a few deer..

Popular trail! Mountain bikes are welcome on the Castle Trail portion. Still muddy in some parts but no traction devices needed. Dynamic views of city/mountainside. Nice for a quick hike or trail run.
Instagram: @sofiamariexplores

Icy and muddy still in some parts but overall good views!

Iced in spots this time of year. I could have used spikes through one part. Parking is a premium. Good trail, good view of Denver, lots of hikers to say hi to.

Decent hike during the winter. Drainage could be better as I was hiking on a lot of snow/mud. I suggest starting off with the Turkey Trot Trail...actually avoid the lower half of castle trail altogether...I'd just go back down Turkey Trail if you make it back at the merger. The lower half of Castle Trail that can be avoided by taking Turkey Trail and it is extremely muddy (I'm still finding a ton of sand on my dog's fur) and you have lots of less visible areas/turns if bikers come crashing through.

I kept going after it merged up with castle trail again and ended up at two dog trail and summer white house site. I'd say if you are going to choose go with Summer White House as the skyline view from two dog trail was ok.

I'm just glad construction really never started on the summer white house as Colorado would be even more crowed and that POS drump might actually come to Colorado and does the President really need a castle?

Nice alternate to the Castle Trail.

Nice trail with great view of red rocks from a distance! Took about an hour thirty moving at a mild pace with 4 to 5 short stops.

Thanksgiving day hike at Turkey Trot Trail was fun! Short hike/trail run, despite of a lot of people, no parking (street parking available). Nice 68 degrees weather, totally enjoyed it!

Good hike with moderate incline. Great view of Red Rocks and downtown Denver. No shade coverage so would be killer hot in the summer. Very popular trail, and there were numerous people and bikers even on a Tuesday.

Great views, Don’t bring your stroller trails extremely rocky .

Lovely little hike. I enjoy this hike in the cooler temps. Just enough people so that if I got hurt, someone would come by and find me.

Good trail for a quick hike. Nice views of downtown and a quick glimpse of the rolling whitecaps. The trail can get cold because there is not much sun exposure, so be prepared for the temperature to drop if you are hiking in the fall/winter; the trail will also hold snow so definitely wear the right shoes. Easy in and out to get to the trail, definitely check it out.

Bring water for your dog!!!!!!!

Don't let the name fool you! The first half of this hike is very challenging as it starts with a quick incline. Once you reach the higher elevation, you have great views of downtown Denver as well as Red Rocks. Worth it, but watch out for bikers on your way down.

Not very foresty, good views of Red Rocks though

Intense uphill hike for the Colorado elevation newbies! Beautiful though!! Rocky trail so wear good shoes! Great views of red rocks from the trail

This trail on the AllTrails app is incorrectly rated easy! I would rate this trail as moderate to hard. Was not prepared for the incline or terrain when I arrived. Ended up going about .5 miles and turned back. Definitely a challenge to work toward but not as a beginner as I am.

Way too many people

Hot open hike able to move fast. Prefer something more scenic.

Great hike! Like other reviews said it's more moderate than easy. It's mostly exposed in the sun with a few occasional shady spots.

Surprisingly scenic trail close to Denver. Busy, but not crowded on a Thursday evening. Would avoid on the weekend as I'm sure it is crazy congested. Lovely views of the city, Red Rocks, and surrounding areas. Nice variety of vegetation as well. Recommend connecting with Castle Trail to complete a loop rather than going out and back. Agree with others that this leans moderate for a trail listed as easy, especially if you do the loop.

Perfect hike with the pups. Beautiful scenery

Definitely not "easy" and I'm from Colorado. I'm also active 7 days a week! Great for a good glute workout. I arrived at 7:30 am on a Saturday and took the last spot in the parking lot. I'd do it again but go earlier to avoid having to stop for bikers every other step or hear others chatting on the trails.

Fun trail. Basically straight up and then straight down.

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Beautiful trail. Although I would not consider it "easy" it was tough for me and my husband but we are new to CO and hiking. Definitely worth it though. Took us about 2 1/2 hours.

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Nice trail, on your way up it turns more beautiful. Good for beginners or for a couple of hours exercising.

Thursday, March 09, 2017

Heavy traffic, but able to hike in Jan-Feb. Little snow can be icy, fun hike with great views of the Red Rocks.

Friday, February 17, 2017

I enjoyed the trail but would definitely not call it easy. the first part of the trail is all uphill and fairly steep. Some great views and the back part of the loop was quite scenic. And then you have to go back downhill along the same steep grade.