Transfer OHV Trail is a 16.7 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Glenwood Springs, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for bird watching and ohv/off road driving and is best used from June until November.

Distance: 16.7 miles Elevation Gain: 5,587 feet Route Type: Point to Point

ohv / off road driving

Note: This route closes annually from the end of November to the end of May. For updates: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/whiteriver/recarea/?recid=81991 For off road driving, you can drive up Coffee Pot Road first, so you can head downhill on the Transfer Trail and enjoy the views at Windy Point and above Glenwood Springs. However, since there is a large convenient staging area at the bottom of the trail, this route starts at the bottom. The bottom also has many side trails to explore, including a challenging 50"-wide ATV trail. If you are not camping at the top and just want a single-day adventure, start from the bottom as described here. Trail is very steep and narrow at the bottom with tight brush in places. Above Windy Point, mud is the challenge. Some driving experience is recommended, especially going uphill.

ohv/off road driving

From staging area/gate about 3.2 miles until snow becomes an issue.

ohv/off road driving

Got stopped but downed tree a quarter of a mile before windy point. After windy point the snow became pretty deep still.

ohv/off road driving

Does anyone know when the TT opens? The forest service told me it opens today (May 21st) but it still says June on AllTrails right here...

closed

Any word on when this trail will open? Went up today and the 1st waypoint, yellow gate is closed.

flooded
icy

I would not recommend going on this trail this time of year. I didn’t see any recent reviews of the trail and decided to check it out. Very soon past the gate the trail gets very muddy and slippery and we could see a truck had rolled off into the brush on a steep slope about a 1/4 down the trail.

ohv/off road driving

Fun trail and easy to get to. More on the easier side of "moderate". Saw one other vehicle and it was an ATV. Did this in a 16 Tacoma. Incredible views.

ohv/off road driving

The trail was perfect for off road driving. Stock Jeep did just fine and there was minimal traffic. The views were absolutely gorgeous of Glenwood Springs. Difficulty was easy to moderate. I will definitely drive this trail again.

ohv/off road driving

Well maintained trail. Pretty steep in parts. Just wide enough for an suv/truck if you stay on the main trail. There aren’t too many places to pull off for opposing traffic but there are good spots to turn around along the way. I took my stock FJ up and had no issues. I would not recommend in the wet seasons or late winter. Great views along the way.

Sun May 19 2019

I hiked from the upper parking lot. Mostly clear trail until mile 2 and then the trail starts to get wet. I finally turned back at 3.5 miles where there was still a bit of snow on the trail. It was too muddy to hike further. Awesome views and I can’t wait to hike it again when it drys out.

Sun May 19 2019

Trail technically not open yet but the gates were open and we didn't know until it was too late. Trail is in good condition and isn't too difficult.

Fri May 10 2019

didn't go too far up but liked what we did

Sun Jan 20 2019

No too far with stock Range Rover.

Fri Nov 10 2017

We took our ATVs up transfer trail to Windy point today it was fabulous challenging hard fun fantastic views Rocky and spots steep in spots winding if there’s everything really fun just got to pay attention and stay on point on your vehicle and it was a great time I do it again

Thu Sep 21 2017

Killer trail mud rocks up hill down hill beautiful scenery. well rounded trail!

Sun Jul 02 2017

From a Guy who has grown up in TN and wanted to try what was out west in off road trails this is by far some of the most fun that I have had easy to drive in my FJ cruiser did not have to engage the locker or traction aid super fun and great views as well as the trail is moderately traveled and not too crazy light traffic for my day definitely going back

Sun May 21 2017

first time I took the truck out for some 4x4. no one else was out there so it was awesome.

Thu Mar 30 2017

Seemed fun, but too difficult for my stock SUV.

Thu Aug 04 2011

Beautiful trail that requires low 4WD and high clearance. We did it in a stock Sport Jeep.

Sat Jun 01 2019