Trail Through Time is a 1.4 mile loop trail located near Mack, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.4 miles Elevation Gain: 180 feet Route Type: Loop

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

We took a 9 year old, 5, 4 and 2 and they all loved it! Watch out for cow pies!

I love this little path! If you are passing by please stop! There a few big fossilized dinosaur bones in the rocks and that’s really neat, especially for kids. It’s only about 1.5 miles and doesn’t take long!

recorded Recording - Mar 28, 02:12 PM

Great short easy. Good for dogs and kids.

Great stop off the highway! Short and pretty hike to stretch the legs. Good for kids and wheelchair accessible in parts. They have a well kept restroom too. Great overviews of the scenery and mountain ranges.

If you love dinosaurs, this is the trail for you, especially if you have kids. If you are looking for beautiful scenery, I’ve seen a lot better. If you are looking for exercise, it’s a little short. Not sure it was worth the gas mileage. Most likely wouldn’t do this one again.

Okay, only a small part of the trail is wheelchair and stroller friendly, had I known that from the beginning, I wouldn’t have brought the stroller.

An easy trail. My wife has somewhat limited mobility. With her cane, she was able to negotiate the entire path. The view from the Rabbit Valley overlook is worth the vertical gain. At the overlook are two benches and a shade covering. It is relaxing to sit there and watch the world.

Interesting short walk, with informational placards, but, like all desert trips in August no matter how short, stop often and bring lots of water. Beware of the overhead sun and consider how quickly your dogs can get sunstroke.

Very interesting short walk if you need a break from driving

Perfect for dinosaur enthusiasts and easy for kids! We broke up a long drive and did this trail on a day when temps were approaching 100F! Dried-up flowers for our visit. Would recommend when it is cooler, especially since there is barely any shade. There are, however, some covered benches spread out along the loop and lots of signs to explain what you're looking at. Very cool, LARGE dinosaur skeleton fossils in several spots--the hit of the trail for sure. We were also pleasantly surprised to see a few male (brightly colored) colored lizards. And the views of the La Sal Mtns were a nice addition. Take lots of water!

Trail is a fairly easy hike, our kids 10, 8, 6 did it easily. I carried our baby and my husband attempted to push our 2 year old in an umbrella stroller. This trail is NOT wheelchair/stroller friendly except for maybe 1/8th of it which would be on the lower path with no fossils in sight. There were 3 or 4 actual fossil locations, one being a reverse imprint. Fun to see, worth doing once, but probably won't do it again unless we want to come on a day they are working in the quarry. (Bring liquid to drink, especially in the summer when it gets hot and dry.)

Mon Apr 22 2019

Take the kids. Easy hike, lots of cool dino stuff.

Tue Sep 04 2018

A great hike for children. My 3 & 5 yr olds enjoyed it and loved stopping for snacks on the plentiful benches.

Sat Aug 25 2018

Not as many fossils as I was expecting. Good exercise while on a long drive was nice.

Sun May 20 2018

We are not physically challenging ourselves this trip (broken hand) and this was perfect. GPS said loop trail was 1.8 miles from parking area with about a 200 foot ascent. Plenty of benches to rest and enjoy a not terribly inspiring view but you can see all the way to a Utah mountain range 60 miles away. Wildflowers were pretty. Saw one fossil.

Mon May 07 2018

Beautiful flowers and very out of shape people friendly

Thu Apr 26 2018

Nice quick hike and well marked trail. Beautiful wildflowers in spring!

Sat Sep 02 2017

Good for kids

Wed Jun 14 2017

This is a very short, easy hike, but it was great because there are signs that explain the geology, etc. of the region and you get to see dinosaur bones and fossils! We saw a lot of families with small children on it, but it was just my husband and I and we really enjoyed it.

Tue Mar 29 2016

Great hike for dinosaur enthusiast!

Sun Aug 23 2015

Cool to see some dinosaur remains. Not as scenic as other hikes in the area.

Sat Feb 14 2015

Ease of access as you fly by on Route 70 is a great feature in getting here. I did this at twilight and completed under moonlight. Nice n easy hike, interesting but very short considering. More of an attraction than a proper jaunt.

Thu Dec 13 2012

This trail Being right off Highway 70, Is an ideal stop for a one hour hike. I would not recommend it to drive To,only as a rest stop or passing by. The history of the dinosaur and its tracks are really nice to see As well as some the skeletal remains.