Trail Ridge Road

Trail Ridge Road is a 39 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for nature trips, road biking, and scenic driving and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 39.0 miles Elevation Gain: 3,891 feet Route Type: Point to Point

paved

historic site

Note: As of May 2019, the road was open till Rainbow curve overlook and rest was closed for vehicles, but is open to public for walking.

Beautiful drive!

Views are great and a good way for my elderly mother to see the park without having to hike miles at a tims.

Incredible drive! Was able to get some great pictures at the pullouts. I highly recommend Irene Lake Picnic Area (not crowded with a great short hike to lake and scenic overlook) and Beaver Creek (no one else stopped but me - got to see a large herd of elk!!). Entire thing took me about 5 hrs with stops at visitor centers and 3 hikes off of the road. Would absolutely do this again!

Picked up the trail at Moraine Park but started @ 1pm. I didn’t expect to make to Trail Ridge Rd so I started out at a brisk pace. Ran out of steam and would have run out of daylight had I continued. This was the 1sr day in RMNP “get acclimated hike”. Served its purpose. Amazing views!! Very rough rocky after 3 miles or so. VERY. Coming down was tougher than most. Maybe cuz it was 1st hike of the week.

Beautiful drive! Road was still open all the way through. Saw some elk. Went mid-week so not a ton of traffic.

Saw Elk Moose and Deer along the road.

It was ok, probably would not do it again.

My not going to lie but that drive was a little intense for me. Don’t get me wrong, the drive was well worth the views. Utterly amazing drive and views. It’s a must do!!

This is a great scenic drive for anyone who want to see the views but not do an intense hike. There are plenty of scenic places to stop and get pictures. Would even be good for someone who is unable to be active.

We visited in early August, there was light traffic. It’s an amazing scenic drive with many many overlooks where you’d see wildlife and stunning views. We drove to grand lake and spent the day walk around the shops and having lunch then headed back to view the trail from another angle. As the driver, I had a little white knuckling and sweaty palms going on...but well worth the drive.

scenic driving

Beautiful drive, definitely recommend it. Go to Alpine visitor center and hike up to the summit, beautiful views!

Beautiful drive!

scenic driving

We went on trail ridge road on Friday June 21 in the afternoon and it was just amazing weather! From the minute we drove in past the entrance, we were greeted with many animals. Elk grazing and relaxing in a vast open field, a moose right off the side of the rode grazing on grass, sheep down by the water and lots of elk with big antlers crossing the road. Be very careful while driving as deer and elk come out of no where! The views from trail ridge road were just amazing. Last tip: if you need or want, you can buy a national park pass at the gate for $70 good for a year and $10 cheaper than online!

scenic driving

Great drive through the mountains! Plan accordingly for your trip as the road is only open during the summer months.

Very nice drive

Absolutely amazing scenic drive! We saw tons of wildlife - moose, elk, baby elf, & sheep. Would definitely do this every time we are in the area. There's also an area you can park and hike to the top of a rocky area for an outstanding view and experience. Make sure you bring a jacket and hat if you do that, as its terribly windy up there! A must do!

Amazing scenic drive, views are incredible, pics do not do it justice, wonderful way to see the Rockies! Highly recommend this drive. Road was not closed at any area.

The road was closed at Rainbow curve due to snow, but walkers and bikers could go more. I made a youtube. Please check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgsGCDX9dNw

Visited on May 11th, The road was open till Rainbow curveoverlook and rest was closed for vehicles, But was open to public for walking. Went for a walk till Ute trailhead, The views were amazing.

Stretch 2 .

Sunday, October 07, 2018

Beautiful drive through the Rockies with lots of great pull-offs and views

Saturday, October 06, 2018

One of the best drives with large elevations. Many stops to watch mountains and valleys.

Friday, September 21, 2018

You couldn’t ask for much more for a scenic drive. There is pretty heavy traffic, but usually doesn’t cause much for a slowdown unless there are animals off the side of the road. The Alpine Visitors Center gets very busy and the parking lot is often full, so be prepared if you plan to stop there.

Monday, September 10, 2018

I never get tired of the view, but I do get tired of the amount of traffic and all of the people I see walking off trail and trampling all over the fragile ecosystems. Folks need to respect the rules and understand that they are only visitors who should leave the place as pristine as possible...not trampled down, picked and trashed.

Thursday, August 23, 2018

Awe inspiring and a must do if the road is open. We saw elk & moose on our trip thru, the scenery is indescribable. I recommend stopping for lunch in Granby at Mavericks.

Friday, August 10, 2018

Absolutely beautiful! ,

Tuesday, August 07, 2018

This is a gorgeous, must-do drive in Rocky Mountain National Park. It is the highest paved road in North America and takes you from the east side of the park to the west side of the park.

Thursday, August 02, 2018

This is a trip I take most new comers to experiencing Colorado... The view is breath taking