Trail 403 is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Crested Butte, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.5 miles Elevation Gain: 2,142 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Steep climb out and back. Lightly trafficked. Trails were dry and dusty. Aspens toward the start of the trail were peaking. Not too many to be seen again until the 360 views at the top.

Drove to Washington Gulch and started there. Hiked to the viewpoint and about half a mile further. We were only 2 days in CO from FL so the altitude was a little much for us. Didn't want to have to climb back up the steep eastern side of the trail so we turned back. All I can say is WOW. Unbelievable views around every corner. Not too difficult to the viewpoint at 11.3K ft going from the west. Only saw a few other hikers on the way up. Only annoyance was mountain bikes in both directions in the afternoon. Would take this trail again.

We hiked this from Washington Gulch up to the viewpoint, roundtrip about 4 miles. It is a fairly easy hike, very mellow. Step for step, in August, with the wildflowers in full bloom, this is probably one of the most gorgeous hikes you can take in this country. My hubby and I have been on a 2 month sabbatical and have hiked everyday all across the western US, and this hike tops our list- it’s an easy hike with huge payoffs. There are 360 degree views of the mountains and valleys will have to do! Spectacular!!! Doing the whole trail is worth it if you want a longer day and a great workout, but you won’t miss out on anything by just doing the viewpoint hike. (Don’t miss trail 421 to the ridge, that one’s even better!)

Thu Aug 02 2018

We absolutely love this trail! It is probably the most beautiful trail I have been on. Be sure that you ride it from the south to the north or west to the east depending on how they say the thing goes but there’s definitely no way that you want to climb this single track. I recommend this as a shuttle ride otherwise it is a very tedious painstaking road ride up to the top. The turns are amazing and you can really rip through the area. I am here in July and the flowers are so tall that they hit your hands. You do not want to do it right after a rain because you get very wet very quickly. I would definitely say this is an advanced trail however. I think that the three rating system here is very miss leading.

Thu Jul 12 2018

1st mile is *very* steep, but wildflowers were gorgeous! The first slope had a lot of purple fireweed, and as we progressed we saw loads of larkspur, mule’s ears, Indian paintbrush, silvery lupine, broadleaf arnica, and bluebells. Some columbines, but not a lot. A few shallow stream crossings (which our dogs loved as a chance to cool down).

Thu Jul 12 2018

Amazing wild flowers!

Tue Sep 12 2017

Did this trail today from the Elkton side all the way up to Gothic Mountain Summit...Beautiful views, but not for the faint of heart. About halfway to Gothic Mountain, the trail is VERY steep. And the second false summit of Gothic Mountain is basically scrambling over loose rocks, so come prepared. The views are definitely worth it! Also there are some very deep ruts on Washington Gulch road, you will need a high clearance vehicle for. I took my X5 and made it just fine, although there were some intense parts.

Sun Sep 03 2017

I hiked this Trail on August 4th. It's a scenic trail with lots of great views. I started on the Gothic side of the trail which apparently is harder as it's mostly uphill but the views were great. I didn't see too many people along the way which was nice. The wildflowers were absolutely stunning!

Sun Aug 06 2017

Hiked this trail from the Gothic side and it was straight up, or felt like it but the views were amazing and the sunflowers were in full bloom and plentiful. Definitely an amazing hike.

Mon Aug 01 2016

One of the best flower/total panorama combos anywhere.

Mon Aug 01 2016

Great place to get scenic wildflower photos.

Sun Jul 31 2016

This is a moderately easy tail to hike. There are amazing Vistas and wildflowers.

recorded Trail 403