Trail 401

Trail 401 is a 15.4 mile loop trail located near Crested Butte, Colorado that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

off road driving

paddle sports

rock climbing

scenic driving

skiing

Long climb but not too steep, followed by a long fast descent on singletrack through amazing wildflowers. The trail tops out above treeline for some of the best views on any mountain biking trail. This trail can be ridden from Crested Butte, but most people start just above the town of Gothic. Pedal to the top of Schofield Pass, and see the trailhead on your right. The trail continues to climb for another 2 miles until it tops out just above treeline. Amazing views! Now it is downhill on singletrack through wildflowers all the way back to Gothic.

Worth the effort for the views, wildflowers in July and fun trail. It is rated difficult bike trail in some guides but is very do-able for an advanced intermediate rider in relatively good shape. I spend 4 to 5 hours a week at gym or on bike at 100 feet altitude and I did fine. I gave myself a couple of days of hiking to acclimate to the 10,000+ feet altitude then rode the uphill very slow not letting my heart rate get out of control. The downhill was ultra fun with just a few technical spots that I walked for a few feet. I did slide out once in a tight curve and there are places where you might fall on the steep hillside but if you are careful it's not gonna happen. I did the 8 mile loop starting a Rustler's Gulch, climbed the DUSTY road 3 gradual miles then right to trail at top. Climbed/pushed 1.5 more miles on trail to another top but the flowers and views were fabulous during the climb. Then whoopee downhill rest of the way (there is one difficult curve that is steep and washed out but can be walked). Back at Rustler's Gulch there is a very deep creek to cross but if you go upstream about 50 feet and cross by big tree it's only a few inches deep then a push up semi-steep short hill on other side to get back on road. This trail is very popular and narrow, please be kind to other bikers and hikers which may mean slowing down for hikers and letting faster people pass you.

My most favorite MTB trail I have every done!!!! Views to die for, literally if you don't keep your eyes on the trail. One tricky spot where the trail kind of drops off and we had to carry and jump our bikes over. The end of the trail was flooded and had to carry our bikes through knee high water. Epic climb and Epic descent! Well worth the effort! A must do!

Gorgeous trail. We went last year and the wildflowers were beautiful. My husband and I hiked it. In case you are a first timer like us- do note there are a lot of bikers on the trail. With it being such a narrow trail, we had to move out of their way which became a little bit of a pain because we also had our dog, but still well worth the beautiful hike.

Amazing wildflowers & single track !

Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Trail partially under water at about .3 in from the trail head. Also lots of downed trees in the trail at about 1.4 in.

Friday, March 03, 2017

Great way to see all the ecological zones of the mtn. Lots of bikes, flowers, aspens and a shallow water crossing at the bottom as a reward is a great way to end.

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Amazing! great climbs, long descents, and spectacular views - one of my all time favorite rides!

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Amazing, one of my all time favorite rides!

Friday, July 10, 2015

Fun hike - not a beginner hike - single track bike trail can get narrow for feet. High Altitude, some climbs. The payoff is views out the whahh zoo -
Also, check the weather. There are many sections that are in the wide open with no shelter. This is great for views and flowers, but not so good if a lightning storm comes over the ridge. Enjoy.

Thursday, September 04, 2014

The views are incredible, the scope is grand, the descent is spectacular!

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Not a lot of technical stuff or lung busting climbs makes it ideal for a high speed relaxing ride. Added the Italian canyon loop to make it an 18 mile ride. Only seen about 4 people on the trail so had it all to myself, which was a definite plus!!

Sunday, August 26, 2012

This trail is not very technical, thank God because it would take away from the stellar scenery. Soak it all in on the downhill!!!

recorded 401