Towhee and Homestead Trails

Towhee and Homestead Trails is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Note that there is a $5 cash only parking fee.

Great hike!! I would've rated it higher, however, this description is not accurate. The Towhee trail is NOT dog-friendly, in fact they are STRICTLY prohibited. Based on this information on AllTrails, we had planned to do a short 2.6 mile hike with 2 young kids and 1 dog. We started on Homestead, and when we got to Towhee, there were red signs saying "dogs prohibited. Violators will be summoned." We were at a point that we could not go back on Homestead, as it would've been too difficult for my 4yo (& myself carrying my 3yo on my back) and the alternate route was much longer. So, we took Towhee, ran into a very disgruntled, mean woman who yelled at us, tried to block the trail and called the rangers. All of this occurring in front of my 3yo & 4yo children. Let's just say I have had more pleasant hikes elsewhere. So...don't take your dog on Towhee.

Great early winter hike. Just a couple icy patches.

trail is closed

awesome river at start, not very much shade.

Beautiful scenery! Balance of shade spots . Kids loved it

During the week, only the homestead trail is open. Pretty busy on a Friday, but a great moderate hike. $5.00 fee unless you live in Boulder

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

This is one of my favorite loops. The trailhead can be crowded on week-ends, but has bathrooms and picnic tables. If they could just get people to pick up their dogs' poop--green bags of poop litter the area.
Parking fee is ONLY for non-residents of Boulder County.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Pretty flat & steady trail! Great for trail running. Beautiful views.

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Good elevation and groomed trail that's nice for trail running. Spectacular views as well. Make it as long as you want by adding on surrounding trails.

Monday, October 17, 2016

The only reason I gave this 3 stars is because the map attached to this trail on All Trails is not 4.7 miles. it's closer to 3. I ended up adding more on the top. Also note that there is a $5 cash only parking fee.

Scenic, not technical, but is exposed in a large portion of the trail, not super steep in an portion of the trail. Homestead trail isn't super pretty but there are so many trails to that link up to this parking lot that youre sure to find a little something for everyone! I would definitely hike out here again and experiment with different routes.

Monday, August 29, 2016

Was an easy hike close to Boulder with a good mix of sunny and shady areas. Made a 7.5 mile loop today. Lots of gentle steps along the trail. Beautiful meadows in some areas, trees/forest in some areas and a couple streams. Still lots of colorful wild flowers along the way. Good views all around. Lots of options to vary the length/difficulty of your hike. Today they were doing some work on parts of the trail. It's very well maintained and wide enough to allow for a small group. Were only a few other hikers on the trail today which is great for Boulder. Will be back to do the Shadow Canyon trails.

Saturday, August 06, 2016

Beautiful!

Friday, July 08, 2016

Nice hike with lots of wildflowers.

Monday, July 04, 2016

Lots of different varieties of wild flowers. We would hike again.

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Nice short hike. Good spot for a quick hike and you can lengthen the hike by detouring onto many of the surrounding trails.

recorded wind