rock climbing

SO, while I am glad we did this I will absolutely never again. We referenced our map often and even while remaining on trail there are definitely some class 4 climbs with very extreme exposure. The class 3 rating of this trail definitely had me thinking I could handle this, which I know know to be incorrect. We summited to Torrey’s which took us 5 hours. It’s super easy to get off trail, and fast. There are no Cairns to mark the path. Also had to bear crawl up most of the class 3 scrambles as it was all loose soil and rocks. I was very nervous to lose my footing. The knife edge was so much more of a steep exposure ON BOTH SIDES, which I did not feel most photos reflected. I went into this thinking one edge was extreme exposure while the other was not so bad. I had much panic and took about 15 minutes to cross that short path, but there was no turning back at that point. Please do not ever attempt this path alone, or without capability to call emergency alpine services. It started to sprinkle as well and the rocks were immediately slippery as ice.

As for driving to the trail head; the path is rough but you can do it. Imagine a seasonal ORV path. Dirt, bumps, and many rocks. Any SUV should handle it fine. I’ve even seen a Chrysler 300 make it down the path to the trail head. Would not recommend doing that however with any less than 9” of vehicle clearance.