Torreys Peak Kelso Ridge Loop via Gray's Peak Trail

Torreys Peak Kelso Ridge Loop via Gray's Peak Trail is a 7.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until October.

ice climbing

rock climbing

North east ridge is the ridge between Torreys (14er) and Kelso Mountain(13er.) A class 3 hike that does take some mountaineering experience. You will encounter exposure and rock climbing. Probably not a good place for a dog. Follow the standard trail for about 1.5miles to Grays and Torreys and cut right and follow the trail to the lower part of the saddle between Kelso and Torreys. Here you will see a mine, and climb up and then strap in your helmet. Follow the ridge, there is a trail that comes and goes. The best advise that was given to me is if you feel it is getting too hard, turn around and find an easier way. You can make this trail as difficult as you want.

Loved this hike but "Hard" is an understatement, there needs to be an "Extreme" rating.

The knife edge isn't that bad. Not bad at all, really, and not the scariest exposure on the route by far. Plenty of hand and foot holds, me and my climbing partner straight blasted across it.

Another reviewer commented about the importance of knowing the route - I second that. Print off the route description from 14ers.com and refer to it often. I forgot my copy and I think we may have gotten off route into some dangerous Class 4 stuff with iffy hand/foot holds and gut-wrenching exposure. Would not recommend that.

Excellent hike today. I cannot emphasize enough the requirement to know the route. Tons of class 3 scrambling!
It should not say that it is a dog friendly route. It's barely human friendly haha.

One of my all-time favorite hikes in Colorado. Amazing views as long as you're ok with heights and exposure

Awesome Class 3 scramble. Tack on Grays afterwards via the saddle. Definitely need a car with high clearance to get to the trailhead. Not much snow left except on the Knife's Edge which actually aids in crossing.

geocaching

Kelso Ridge is one of my favorite climbs. Lots of exposed scrambling and amazing views. This route is certainly not dog friendly though as the description claims.

I did this a few last year and I loved it! Torrey's was my first 14er!!

Just recently returned from climbing Grays Pick it was awesome.Great place to train for big mountains, we left late in a day around 8:45 am the parking lot at the I 70.
My friend was much slower than I expected and by the base of Grays around 3:40 pm he was done. From there I climb in my own to the top ridge of Grays it was almost dark. It was around 10:25 pm by the time we got back. I enjoy it very much... be in shape if not you will pay for like my friend. Never underestimate the mountain.

This was my first 14er and I fell in love. Kelso Ridge wasn't anything like what I had in mind, though, and it kicked my butt. I would definitely suggest taking on Gray's Trail to reach Torrey's Peak before taking on Kelso Ridge. There were several times where I lost the trail and had to think on my toes. The ridge itself was a total adrenaline rush. Many steep drop-offs and unbelievable views. This is not a trail for kids or dogs, and I would also suggest having a partner. As with any trail, make sure to get an early start and bring plenty of water. I also noticed that my hiking boots were a little too clunky during my ascension of the Ridge. Obviously I managed, but I think that a change of shoes for some better grip and mobility would have been helpful. Anyways, super proud to call this my first 14er--the views at the summit are so beautiful it's surreal.

PS: you're gonna need an SUV or truck to get up the road to the trailhead. My car was no match for this one haha.

geocaching

Did anyone have climb Grays in the winter....?

During August, the wildflowers are gorgeous.

Taking off on a 3 day wandering session someone mentioned this trail to me at the trail head. I've hiked the Grays/Torreys Peak trail a few times already, so I thought I'd check out the Kelso Ridge trail.
I was really expecting another well maintained. Well marked trail like Grays. This Is Not The Case. Which I enjoy. Easy to get off trail, a couple places to climb up and over. Lots of exposure to get you second guessing. A lot of fun.
If you get to a point where you think your about to fall to your death you've lost the trail... Your supposed to be on the other ledge with the death drop.

Probably not dog/small child friendly.

The road gets a little rough towards the end, but there's tons of places to park within a 10-30min walk to the trail head. Lots of places to camp as well.

I like to drop down the west side of the saddle between Torreys and Grays and explore chihuahua gulch. Lots of wildlife around the lakes this time of year.