Torreys Peak Kelso Ridge Loop via Gray's Peak Trail is a 7.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until October.

rock climbing

North east ridge is the ridge between Torreys (14er) and Kelso Mountain(13er.) A class 3 hike that does take some mountaineering experience. You will encounter exposure and rock climbing. Probably not a good place for a dog. Follow the standard trail for about 1.5miles to Grays and Torreys and cut right and follow the trail to the lower part of the saddle between Kelso and Torreys. Here you will see a mine, and climb up and then strap in your helmet. Follow the ridge, there is a trail that comes and goes. The best advise that was given to me is if you feel it is getting too hard, turn around and find an easier way. You can make this trail as difficult as you want.

Kelso Ridge was pretty fun with some nice scrambling. Good conditioning and great views. Standard route was super busy.

Great challenge, but rather scary for someone that doesn’t do well with heights. Glad I did it but don’t need to do it again. Started at 5am and saw a beautiful sunrise just as we began the class 3 climbs. Definitely kept referring back to 14ers.com descriptions to stay on the correct path, so download before you go!

Great way to avoid the crowds along the way. Fun scrambling on Kelso Ride. Much easier than the Dragon's Head on the Ten Mile Range. If things look too hard, back up and take another approach, most it it really isn't that bad. I took this down because I started early and missed the turn off in the dark. Going down wasn't too bad, you just end up glissading down some skree at the top and that's not my favorite thing in the world.

rock climbing

Hands down one of the most fun climbs up a 14er! Definitely more climbing than hiking!

This route is a great intro to true class 3 scrambling. 3 good spots. Knife edge is good practice for exposure. Study your route! It is pretty straightforward if you prepare. If not you run into some fairly exposed low class 4 moves.

Ascended Kelso and walked the ridge all the way to Grays. Great views and fun scrambles, but if you are unprepared you will not enjoy this.

SO, while I am glad we did this I will absolutely never again. We referenced our map often and even while remaining on trail there are definitely some class 4 climbs with very extreme exposure. The class 3 rating of this trail definitely had me thinking I could handle this, which I know know to be incorrect. We summited to Torrey’s which took us 5 hours. It’s super easy to get off trail, and fast. There are no Cairns to mark the path. Also had to bear crawl up most of the class 3 scrambles as it was all loose soil and rocks. I was very nervous to lose my footing. The knife edge was so much more of a steep exposure ON BOTH SIDES, which I did not feel most photos reflected. I went into this thinking one edge was extreme exposure while the other was not so bad. I had much panic and took about 15 minutes to cross that short path, but there was no turning back at that point. Please do not ever attempt this path alone, or without capability to call emergency alpine services. It started to sprinkle as well and the rocks were immediately slippery as ice.

As for driving to the trail head; the path is rough but you can do it. Imagine a seasonal ORV path. Dirt, bumps, and many rocks. Any SUV should handle it fine. I’ve even seen a Chrysler 300 make it down the path to the trail head. Would not recommend doing that however with any less than 9” of vehicle clearance.

Definitely make sure you understand the trail before attempting or else you may run into some class 4 climbing (happened to us). There are a lot of social trails so just be aware and if it feels too hard you might be off the standard route. Other than that this is a great hike! Super fun, great views, and a lot of exposure to get your heart racing!

great ridge climb avoiding the crowds

Awesome hike. Some snow but mostly on the edges of the trail - very avoidable.

the ridge is the best.. I did grays to Torres then down climbed the ridge super fun specially with all the snow up top and post holing on the way back :)) but hey who needs gear

Monday, September 18, 2017

My first 14er. Follow 14ers.com if you want to stay on trail and not get yourself into crazy scrambles with lots of exposure (oops). A life changing experience for me. Do Grays and Torreys this way if you have the physical ability.

Saturday, September 16, 2017

Good for first 14er, combined with it's partner Torreys peak. Most hikers were doing Grays then over to Torreys via the mountaintop connection; however there was significantly less traffic the other direction. Beautiful weather at the beginning of September, keep an eye on weather for potential thunderstorms

Monday, September 04, 2017

Kelso Ridge is no joke. The exposure is dramatic and a fall in most areas would likely result in serious injury or fatality. The class 3 climbs were fun and kind of easy but don't look down (gut-wrenching) and don't make an error (death)! There was a lot of loose rock so check each foot and hand hold before you weight it. Stay on the standard route, we got off track some how (even with 14ers.com maps) and made some insane class 4 climb up the left side instead of simple trail on the right side. This was my first class 3 route and me and two other inexperienced climbers managed to make it all the way up to Torrey's summit alive (Congrats to Caleb & Kelsi). The knife edge crux wasn't so bad but still subject to serious exposure.

Other notes: Road is rough from 70 exit all the way to TH (~3 miles), need high clearance vehicle and recommend 4x4. Got to TH around 5:30AM and it was dark as hell, lot was full but parked on side of road not too far from the parking lot. Didn't make it to Gray's peak due to altitude sickness and massive fatigue from not being able to eat anything all day so will summit at a later time.

Sunday, September 03, 2017

I've been hiking Colorado for about a year now. And this was my favorite experience so far.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

amazing hard climb. take your time, at the end it is worth it. goats pop out from everywhere, it's amazing.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Loved this hike but "Hard" is an understatement, there needs to be an "Extreme" rating.

The knife edge isn't that bad. Not bad at all, really, and not the scariest exposure on the route by far. Plenty of hand and foot holds, me and my climbing partner straight blasted across it.

Another reviewer commented about the importance of knowing the route - I second that. Print off the route description from 14ers.com and refer to it often. I forgot my copy and I think we may have gotten off route into some dangerous Class 4 stuff with iffy hand/foot holds and gut-wrenching exposure. Would not recommend that.

Friday, July 21, 2017

Excellent hike today. I cannot emphasize enough the requirement to know the route. Tons of class 3 scrambling!
It should not say that it is a dog friendly route. It's barely human friendly haha.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

One of my all-time favorite hikes in Colorado. Amazing views as long as you're ok with heights and exposure

Monday, June 26, 2017

Awesome Class 3 scramble. Tack on Grays afterwards via the saddle. Definitely need a car with high clearance to get to the trailhead. Not much snow left except on the Knife's Edge which actually aids in crossing.

Thursday, June 01, 2017

Kelso Ridge is one of my favorite climbs. Lots of exposed scrambling and amazing views. This route is certainly not dog friendly though as the description claims.

Thursday, May 18, 2017

I did this a few last year and I loved it! Torrey's was my first 14er!!

Tuesday, March 07, 2017

Just recently returned from climbing Grays Pick it was awesome.Great place to train for big mountains, we left late in a day around 8:45 am the parking lot at the I 70.
My friend was much slower than I expected and by the base of Grays around 3:40 pm he was done. From there I climb in my own to the top ridge of Grays it was almost dark. It was around 10:25 pm by the time we got back. I enjoy it very much... be in shape if not you will pay for like my friend. Never underestimate the mountain.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

This was my first 14er and I fell in love. Kelso Ridge wasn't anything like what I had in mind, though, and it kicked my butt. I would definitely suggest taking on Gray's Trail to reach Torrey's Peak before taking on Kelso Ridge. There were several times where I lost the trail and had to think on my toes. The ridge itself was a total adrenaline rush. Many steep drop-offs and unbelievable views. This is not a trail for kids or dogs, and I would also suggest having a partner. As with any trail, make sure to get an early start and bring plenty of water. I also noticed that my hiking boots were a little too clunky during my ascension of the Ridge. Obviously I managed, but I think that a change of shoes for some better grip and mobility would have been helpful. Anyways, super proud to call this my first 14er--the views at the summit are so beautiful it's surreal.

PS: you're gonna need an SUV or truck to get up the road to the trailhead. My car was no match for this one haha.

Saturday, October 08, 2016

Did anyone have climb Grays in the winter....?

Monday, October 03, 2016

During August, the wildflowers are gorgeous.

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Taking off on a 3 day wandering session someone mentioned this trail to me at the trail head. I've hiked the Grays/Torreys Peak trail a few times already, so I thought I'd check out the Kelso Ridge trail.
I was really expecting another well maintained. Well marked trail like Grays. This Is Not The Case. Which I enjoy. Easy to get off trail, a couple places to climb up and over. Lots of exposure to get you second guessing. A lot of fun.
If you get to a point where you think your about to fall to your death you've lost the trail... Your supposed to be on the other ledge with the death drop.

Probably not dog/small child friendly.

The road gets a little rough towards the end, but there's tons of places to park within a 10-30min walk to the trail head. Lots of places to camp as well.

I like to drop down the west side of the saddle between Torreys and Grays and explore chihuahua gulch. Lots of wildlife around the lakes this time of year.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Kelso ridge is definitely a challenge..a lot of class 3 climbs and loose rock and gravel. Steep hikes and a knife ridge with no footing gets you to the peak. Amazing views of major peaks around.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

My wife and I got married on top! 9/10/11

Monday, August 22, 2016

fun scramble with a short knife edge ridge near the summit

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Great hike!! Busy busy busy so start early. Kelso ridge trail is no joke. Be ready to climb a little bit (no ropes). Sure footing and sure grip