Torreys Peak and Kelso Ridge Loop via Gray's Peak Trail

Torreys Peak and Kelso Ridge Loop via Gray's Peak Trail is a 7.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Georgetown, Colorado that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until October.

Distance: 7.6 miles Elevation Gain: 3,549 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

North east ridge is the ridge between Torreys (14er) and Kelso Mountain(13er.) A class 3 hike that does take some mountaineering experience. You will encounter exposure and rock climbing. Probably not a good place for a dog. Follow the standard trail for about 1.5miles to Grays and Torreys and cut right and follow the trail to the lower part of the saddle between Kelso and Torreys. Here you will see a mine, and climb up and then strap in your helmet. Follow the ridge, there is a trail that comes and goes. The best advise that was given to me is if you feel it is getting too hard, turn around and find an easier way. You can make this trail as difficult as you want.

A hike I will always remember. Hiked the end of September with a very experienced person. Not for the faint of heart. A climber behind us got stuck on the end of the ridge and was coached on repositioning self to complete. A trail may be a breeze for people leaving reviews, but consider the audience reading them and possible lack of experience. It was awesome for me, but would recommend being in good shape, acclimation and partner with someone if it is your first class 3 climb. Although that could be said about any first climb.

Careful not to go off trail on kelso in the dark. Very loose Rock. Extra mileage parked at bottom— 1 hour 22 min Up to TH. 3.3 miles, 2am-745: kelso ridge. Lost trail once and took a long time to get back on safely. 745-945: descend. 13.6 miles, 4K elevation gain.

Me and my friend didn’t do our research and ended up going this way on accident but it was an awesome experience, lots of exposure & winds were high when we did it a week or so ago, pretty cool for a first 14er experience!

Amazing trail run with some small nuggets of 5th class if you keep right on the ridge proper. Parking lot full by 7a and overflowing down the road.

It was a lot of fun! Definitely a work out and requires upper arm strength for three separate areas of Kelso Ridge. Bring a face wind guard and a helmet! It’s can be hard to breath with the wind while you’re rock climbing. Definitely recommend for those up for a challenge!

Such a beautiful hike. Mountain goats and thin air haha

Hands down my favorite 14er hike this year (first class 3). Knifes edge was a bit intimidating but totally doable (just don’t look down!) Head over to Grays via the saddle to finish two 14ers in one trip. I recommend going with someone who’s familiar with the route if it’s your first class 3. Enjoy!

This hike is "NO JOKE!" for real. Be prepared for pushing yourself in class 3 scrambling, route finding, and some pretty fun but focused moves up. It was amazing to climb this but also a little unnerving at times. I would make sure the weather will be okay (start early) or you will be really stuck out on a big rocky ridge with no way down. The summit of Torrey's Peak party that happens every weekend on these popular 14ers was pretty funny in that everyone saw our party come up from the side of the mountain away from main trail and were like, woah, where did you guys come from?! Also, I would bring a helmet--we had a bunch of scree fall from others onto us and we probably caused some rock fall too. The knife edge isn't as bad as it looks but I wouldn't spend too much time staring down unless that is your sort of thing. Also, we downloaded the pictures and description from 14ers.com to reference when we were trail finding and I would do so as well. Will do this one again! Awesome and super, super fun if you are ready for class 3/ (some class 4) hiking.

Way better in winter and zero traffic...at least that was the case in 1994.

So awesome and exposed. This is way more than a hike. Be prepared for lots of class 3 scrambling