EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Tincup Pass OHV Route

Tincup Pass OHV Route is a 13 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Almont, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for off road driving and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 13.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,089 feet Route Type: Point to Point

ohv / off road driving

Beautiful 12,154-ft. pass road between historic, quaint mountain towns Overview A beautiful high-elevation route starting and ending at historic, quaint mountain towns. St. Elmo is one of the most popular ghost towns in Colorado. It has a few active businesses, including a general store and ATV rental. Tincup is a small residential community with many century-old buildings. Active businesses include the Tincup Store and Frenchie's Cafe. Located in Gunnison and San Isabel National Forest. For current conditions call Salida Ranger District (719) 539-3591. Rocky at the top with one short section of narrow shelf road at 12,000 feet that often remains snow covered into early July. After the snow clears, this trail is suitable for any high-clearance, 4-wheel-drive SUV with low-range gearing. St. Elmo can be reached by car. The optional "Old Tincup" route has one difficult rocky section.

ohv/off road driving

Very rocky, but fun. Nothing too intense for a decent stock vehicle. Tacoma TRD OR.

went both ways 2 weeks ago two Rangers three four wheelers one was a two wheel drive 90 given by my ten-year-old granddaughter and my eight-year-old grandson all Polaris had a great time camping by Mirror Lake is great

ohv/off road driving

Drove from St Elmo to TinCup today. Wrangler 4L ALL the way, but slow and steady did it. Very rocky! Especially down to the lake from the pass. Seemed more like bouldering at times. Drove through water at the lake. Looks bad, but fine if you hug the edge. 24” deep max probably. It was a great time and I’m still excited about the trip.

ohv/off road driving

ran this from St Elmo to Tin Cup. amazing view from the top. very rocky descent. Colorado has had massive snows this past winter so mirror lake covers the road. water level was over the tires of my Jeep.

ohv/off road driving

Drove up from Tincup. Looks like it's going to be impassable at Mirror Lake for a while; the lake's water levels are well above the road.

I wonder How my dad did this in a 1972 AMC Gremlin back in 1975....Mmm I guess he really knew how to drive though it did scare my older brother quite a bit lol

Mon Jul 30 2018

Easy beginner trail with great views from the pass. We rented a jeep from BV Jeeps in Buena Vista, grabbed some sandwiches in town and set off from the St Elmo side. We also did a short trail to Mary Murphy Mine nearby. A great day.

Sat Jun 09 2018

We drove up to Tincup Pass from the Tincup/Taylor Reservoir side. You could get up to Mirror Lake in a car with some clearance (Subaru), but beyond that I was glad to have 4 wheel drive and solid clearance. Most stock 4x4s with low range should be okay, with some careful tire placement. If you haven’t been “4 wheeling” I could imagine thinking it is pretty sketchy. We drive a lifted Toyota Landcruiser on 33” tires and had no issues. It’s rocky and bumpy and a bit steep at times. As expressed by many others, the views are great!

Tue Jun 05 2018

This is one of my favorites! We have taken our ATV’s over a dozen times. We stage just outside of St. Elmo and sometimes go to the top and come back, or go an entire loop. We take our time and enjoy the scenery. The entire loop takes us about 8 hours.

scenic driving
Tue May 22 2018

Nice mountain road with views. Have done this a number of times when in the area. Did in a passenger car. Been a few years so don't know road condition now

Sun Feb 18 2018

Just stunning. Road has always been in pretty good shape for me

Mon Oct 02 2017

trail is easy, maybe (2) S-M obstacles, but bumpy. since its a pass, obviously the views are amazing. if you'd like to see a video of the pass i have one here, but the second half is half of coney flats trail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHuTfvpeSBU&index=4&list=UUOwWBeGU3w1bW52fFA_O6BQ 07 ranger manual 33" 13psi bilsteins no lift no locker no sway bar youtube trail channel: b roll offroad have fun!

Sat Sep 30 2017

First of all: this is an EASY trail. The dude who wrote that you need lockers and off road tires has probably never driven on trail before. We went from Tincup to St Elmo which is the “harder” route. We did this in 2wd the entire way. We have a 3.5” lift on 35s with 1200 lbs of extra gear on our rack since we are an overlanding rig. There was one section with some water runoff which was slick, but I never had to put it in 4wd. There was a bone stock F150 on street tires that followed us up. He needed 4wd because of his tires and wheel base, but seriously.... a stock f150 did it. The shelf road is a 400 meter section on the St Elmo side which at its most narrow point still left me with 2’ of space on either side. Not narrow at all. The trail is VERY bumpy, so just go slow.. other than that, I’d let my mom drive my jeep up this pass.

Tue Sep 12 2017

Took St Elmo to Tincup last week. Very very scenic drive. Somewhat crowded with jeeps and UTVs. The road is pretty rough from the beginning and it is slow going. Most of the trail is pretty easy but there are large rocks to watch out for. There are also a couple of alternate routes that would make for more difficulty and excitement. I was in a 2014 tundra and made ever obstacle without trouble. I wouldn't rate this trail as moderate. Anything 4x4 with a semi decent driver should make it just fine.

Fri Jun 30 2017

loved it has a child

Sun Aug 07 2016

Beautiful trail from St Elmo up to pass. Saw moose in meadows along the road. After pass the path ceases to be a road but a rocky area with no defined borders. Crazy! Then road reappears and nice trip into lake and finally Tincup. Portions not for the faint of heart!

Fri Jul 06 2018