Tincup Pass 4x4 Road

Tincup Pass 4x4 Road is a 13 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Almont, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

scenic driving

Beautiful 12,154-ft. pass road between historic, quaint mountain towns Overview A beautiful high-elevation route starting and ending at historic, quaint mountain towns. St. Elmo is one of the most popular ghost towns in Colorado. It has a few active businesses, including a general store and ATV rental. Tincup is a small residential community with many century-old buildings. Active businesses include the Tincup Store and Frenchie's Cafe. Located in Gunnison and San Isabel National Forest. For current conditions call Salida Ranger District (719) 539-3591. Rocky at the top with one short section of narrow shelf road at 12,000 feet that often remains snow covered into early July. After the snow clears, this trail is suitable for any high-clearance, 4-wheel-drive SUV with low-range gearing. St. Elmo can be reached by car. The optional "Old Tincup" route has one difficult rocky section.

off road driving

We drove up to Tincup Pass from the Tincup/Taylor Reservoir side. You could get up to Mirror Lake in a car with some clearance (Subaru), but beyond that I was glad to have 4 wheel drive and solid clearance. Most stock 4x4s with low range should be okay, with some careful tire placement. If you haven’t been “4 wheeling” I could imagine thinking it is pretty sketchy. We drive a lifted Toyota Landcruiser on 33” tires and had no issues. It’s rocky and bumpy and a bit steep at times. As expressed by many others, the views are great!

This is one of my favorites! We have taken our ATV’s over a dozen times. We stage just outside of St. Elmo and sometimes go to the top and come back, or go an entire loop. We take our time and enjoy the scenery. The entire loop takes us about 8 hours.

scenic driving

Nice mountain road with views. Have done this a number of times when in the area. Did in a passenger car. Been a few years so don't know road condition now

Just stunning. Road has always been in pretty good shape for me

off road driving

trail is easy, maybe (2) S-M obstacles, but bumpy. since its a pass, obviously the views are amazing. if you'd like to see a video of the pass i have one here, but the second half is half of coney flats trail:

07 ranger manual
33"
13psi
bilsteins
no lift
no locker
no sway bar

youtube trail channel: b roll offroad

have fun!

First of all: this is an EASY trail. The dude who wrote that you need lockers and off road tires has probably never driven on trail before. We went from Tincup to St Elmo which is the “harder” route. We did this in 2wd the entire way. We have a 3.5” lift on 35s with 1200 lbs of extra gear on our rack since we are an overlanding rig. There was one section with some water runoff which was slick, but I never had to put it in 4wd. There was a bone stock F150 on street tires that followed us up. He needed 4wd because of his tires and wheel base, but seriously.... a stock f150 did it. The shelf road is a 400 meter section on the St Elmo side which at its most narrow point still left me with 2’ of space on either side. Not narrow at all.

The trail is VERY bumpy, so just go slow.. other than that, I’d let my mom drive my jeep up this pass.

off road driving

Took St Elmo to Tincup last week. Very very scenic drive. Somewhat crowded with jeeps and UTVs. The road is pretty rough from the beginning and it is slow going. Most of the trail is pretty easy but there are large rocks to watch out for. There are also a couple of alternate routes that would make for more difficulty and excitement. I was in a 2014 tundra and made ever obstacle without trouble. I wouldn't rate this trail as moderate. Anything 4x4 with a semi decent driver should make it just fine.

Friday, June 30, 2017

loved it has a child

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Beautiful trail from St Elmo up to pass. Saw moose in meadows along the road. After pass the path ceases to be a road but a rocky area with no defined borders. Crazy! Then road reappears and nice trip into lake and finally Tincup. Portions not for the faint of heart!

Tuesday, June 13, 2017