Timberline Lake Trail is a 5.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Leadville, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.5 miles Elevation Gain: 905 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Hike can be made shorter by not going all the way around the lake. Wear shoes you don't mind getting wet.

This is a beautiful trail! Tried it today and there are still significant snow patches across the trail to post hole through. About 2/3 of the way to the lake the trail was a full on river probably 6-9 inches deep, so we turned back- didn’t want to go off trail and even if we had, the show looked more than knee deep on either side of the trail-turned-river for as far as we could see. Hopefully it melts pretty quick so we can attempt again soon- really tantalized by the lake photos at this point!

Attempted this yesterday unsuccessfully. Lots of snow on the trail and difficult without snowshoes. Lots of snow still covering the majority of the trail.

Beautiful hike. Still pretty deep snow. I wore snowshoes but the snow is soft so I still post holed in places. I didn’t bring poles but they would have been helpful. It was sunny and warm today so I expect the snow will melt quickly. Bring a digital map- it’s hard to follow the trail in the snow. Great hike overall! Didn’t see anyone on the trail.

Great hike! Be prepared to cross a small creek and for areas around the lake to be swampy. We went in the middle of the week in August and there was only a couple other hikers there.

the access road was closed - couldn't figure out a way around. ignore the star rating

Beautiful

Was a little snowy at parts especially by the lake but overall it was a great hike. Beautiful views of the lake and a pretty easy stroll

beautiful hike and crisp fall morning

awesome hike! we hiked out and camped for a night at the lake. there were lots of campsites available and the views were amazing. it did get very cold, bring layers!

Great hike! We had a dog and a toddler (with a baby carrier). Had a nice leisurely hike to the lake and lunched on some rocks. Couple of creek crossings.

Great Rocky Mountain trail. Easy to moderate in the fall. The lake is beautiful with access around it's entire circumference.

A new favorite. This trail is a good combination of easy and intermediate terrain. The start was beautiful and our dog appreciated the opportunity to jump in the water. As the trail continued, it opened up to a gorgeous meadow. Of course, the highlight is the lake at the top. My family highly recommends this trail.

It was fun to hike with my legs. I'm glad I wore shoes.

Good hike to get acclimated to Leadville. Not too strenuous and quite scenic. Good for kids too. Some mosquitoes when we rested but not too bad.

Nice hike. Wildflowers still hanging on. Especially Indian paint brush. More hikers than I’d hoped for. A hiking club today.

Take bug spray and plenty of water. Waterproof hiking boots are a must as you will be passing through plenty of streams and mud! The hike is primarily incline so pace yourself (we gained 890 elevation). Take a light jacket and food it’s chilly up by the lake and the food will be needed after the long incline !

Very crowded

We really enjoyed this hike after two days of more strenuous hiking. the first half is definitely easy with up and downs but the second half is definitely intermediate not easy. The water Crossings are fun and the wildflowers are great. The lake is absolutely gorgeous!

Nice hike up to the lake, with easy river and stream crossings. The hike in is nice, but the lake itself is what makes this hike. Definitely hike around the lake once you reach it to get more views of the surrounding area. I went later in the afternoon and the weather was perfect with almost no bugs, and also saw some rabbits on the trail on my way out. The parking lot was almost full, but I only saw a couple other groups on the trail, and also this trail shares a junction with the Colorado trail.

Great family hike!

Pretty neat trail. I actually camped overnight, which you need a permit for. Easy trail until the last quarter to the lake then all the elevation gain comes at once but it’s not bad at all. Several water crossings but good boots make those easy, one is even a fun one with a rope! Beautiful lake, unsure if there’s any fish tho as I never saw any in the shallows, catch and release anyway. The trail around the lake is a bunch of paths really and is easy to lose in the marshy NW corner. Lots of trees to climb over too. Worth a trip.

Fairly easy to follow trail to the lake. Lake is SPECTACULAR!!! We followed “path” around lake. Hard to follow. Very wet and muddy. 2 miles to lake. 5.5 around lake and back.

Drove a couple hours to get here and at first the hike was kinda boring. I wasn’t sure it was worth the drive. Then you get to the lake and realize it’s totally worth it!