Timber Lake Trail

Timber Lake Trail is a 10.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Lake, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, bird watching, and fishing and is best used from March until September.

Distance: 10.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,349 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Timber Lake Trail passes through forests and meadows to reach the open area at Timber Lake. Timber Lake is located several miles from the Timber Creek Trailhead on the west side of Rocky Mountain National Park. It shares a large, level basin with two adjacent ponds beneath Mt Ida. A well-cut trail leads through diverse forests and luxuriant meadows where moose and elk sightings are common. Visitors will enjoy excellent fishing and room to explore this idyllic alpine lake setting.

51 minutes ago

Arrived in the previous night from sea level Miami. Change in temperature, time zones, altitude - in less than 24 hours! It was tough, cold at the lake (don’t take off your gloves for snacks), but wonderful scenery around. Caught snow on the way up and sunshine on the way down. One part of the trail had a landslide and was difficult to get around it. The mileage is not correct, the trail is definitely longer. We did this as our first hike ever - for beginners I would not recommend this trail as it is too long and difficult - orherwise: beautiful and well maintained.

This was our very first long hike with our 10 month old son. 10.8 miles. we reached the lake at 5.2 miles and then walked around a bit. The hike was great and very low traffic, I think we only saw 5 people during the entire hike. I would highly recommend to allow enough time for the hike. We reached the lake at 3:30 and the park closed at 6:00...no time for any brakes on the way back and it was harder than I expected. Overall it was a great hike and I would do it again. Just be prepared for it.

Do not do this trail until you acclimate to the air. miles is not correct. fix this rangers

I didn't start the app until at timber lake and starting to come back. Beautiful views the whole way with waterfalls, meadows, and canyons. the lake is amazing but the hike is tough. Saw a moose towards the top on the way back, kind of wonder if he was there on the way up. Lots of birds, woodpeckers and something I've never seen before.

different trail

Wonderful hike, a very pretty change for those of you who bag the high mountain peaks most weekends. Although be aware the trail is 4.4 miles to the sign with an additional 1.7 from the sign to the lake. It is a deceptively long hike 12 miles round trip. It starts out easy but makes you work, we saw 2 bull elk, a mother and baby moose, a few a deer and what we swore sounded like a mountain lion. Very active trail keep your eyes open.

Great trail and beautiful. Made it to the landslide and turned around. Amazing weather and saw so much wildlife! Elk, deer, marmot, chipmunks, squirrels and more!

We ended up doing this trail on a whim. The original trail we intended to do was too crowded so ended up here. It really is a beautiful trail. We passed by several people who turned back at the landslide. We decided to go over (and under!) it, and it wasn’t too bad. Just take your time and look for the rocks and secure limbs to help you. Unfortunately, the trail marker in the parking lot is inaccurate. It marked the trail as 4.4 miles to the lake which is not correct. 4.4 miles got us to the split by the creek. It was an additional 1.7 miles to the lake per the sign. We did not budget enough time for that long of a hike. Just be aware it is longer than marked on the map.

Hiked on 8/18. What a gorgeous day it was! Started at 10am, and the trailhead barely had any people the entire time. Gotta say, this is one of my favorite hikes in RMNP. First hike I’ve done on the Grand Lake side. Very woodsy and forest-like. There’s a lot of nice meadows you pass along the way, with beautiful views of wildflowers. There is the landslide that happened and lots of trees blown down, which is such a shame. The signs say that it’s an “active landslide area” so watch out for falling trees. We didn’t have any trouble. There is a small landslide section at around mile 2 that you have to navigate through, but after that, it’s smooth sailing. A very easy, but long hike. We went at a very slow pace and it took us 6 hours total. Hardly any people on the trail, so we had the lake to ourselves for a while. Absolutely beautiful views at the top. Great place to propose, like my fiancé did. ;)

This was a decent trail! It's a gradual climb to the lake, not too bad. The landslide area isn't too bad, just look around the bottom to get past the first downed tree. We saw a moose and her calf pretty close to the trail, was great to see! Most of the trail had nice tree cover. As we got closer to the lake the mosquitos became a bit heavier, but not swarmed. The lake was beautiful and had it to ourselves. There was only 7 cars in the parking lot when we arrived, so not too congested at all. The return is basically downhill the whole way and goes by fast. Nice quiet and fun trail!

I did this hike today, and I was pleasantly surprised with the relatively easy grade it had for the whole hike. Like many others, I saw a couple of moose (a mother and child), which was cool. Also, dont worry about crossing the landslide area. It is a VERY short section and if you take your time it is easy to manuver under/over the downed trees. I imagine it would have been difficult when there was snow present or if there is a heavy rainfall. I was lucky enough to enjoy the lake by myself, and relatively bug free due to a nice breeze and lowish temperatures (would have been nice to get a reflection photo though).

I lost my black prescription sunglasses somewhere between the landslide & privy while getting my rain gear on during our hike on 8/16. Zenni brand. I have backups but I figured I’d mention it here in case someone finds them while we’re still in town. This trail was challenging but pretty awesome. It was our first hike in RMNP this year and it did not disappoint. My gps on this app seems to add mileage, about .5 miles so any mileage I mention will be approximate. It starts out pretty flat. There’s a bridge a short ways in. We thought the trail went off to the right, but it goes straight ahead up some rocks. It’s a pretty steady uphill with flatter areas to rest on. I liked the trail - not a ton of loose rocks or roots, so it was nice to hike on. The landslide area is a little hairy to navigate, but not bad. It starts with a pile of logs to climb up, then there’s a long log you have to cross over. It was easiest for us to go down the hill a bit where the log was smaller & step over. Others tried to go up & around & said that didn’t work. Then next log or two are best to go under. There’s a bit of a drop where the water runs through, but it’s not that bad to get through. My app showed the end of that area at 2.8 miles, so expect to hit it by 2.5. The rest of the trail was pretty steady up, but not bad. It’s pretty well covered most of the way, so that helps protect from the rain. There was thunder, lightning & some rain/snow/hail, but it was short-lived. We saw a moose mom & baby in the open meadow area by the privy, about 5 miles in on my app. We hung back a bit to give them distance since they were pretty close to the trail. We hit the lake at 6 miles on my app. The weather wasn’t fantastic, but the lake was pretty cool. The ground was soft and soggy so hiking around the lake will probably not be possible. We weren’t there very long. The hike back was pretty easy, aside from the landslide. It was a bit challenging to remember which way to go, but not bad. Again, it’s probably easiest to go under the logs then over the last one. The parking lot had plenty of spots open, so parking wasn’t an issue. I did get some altitude sickness, so if you’re susceptible, be mindful of it. This hike was challenging, but I recommend it for hikers who want a bit of a challenge.

Nice gradual climb through forest most of the way. Closer to the lake keep an eye out for moose and elk. I saw both with an early morning start. No people until I returned half way down the trail. Slide is a bunch of trees to climb over. Lake is very buggy. I walked around it and saw two smaller lakes too. For more details and pics visit https://etbtravelphotography.com/2019/08/18/3-hikes-on-the-west-side-of-rocky-mountain-national-park/

This is a trail with a magnificent reward 5 miles up. It starts off relatively mild but in a bit starts to make you work. The good new is that depending upon when you hike a good portion of the trail is shaded. At some point you hit an avalanche area that is awkward and steep to cross. After that more climbing with the sound of the creek to the right. Most of the last 1.7 miles is steep. Then you get to the lake. It is gin clear at over 11,000 feet. Camping is only allowed by a Wilderness Permit. It took me about 3 hours up and 2 down. Take plenty of fluids and pack food. There is a privy about 1.5 hours up.

Overall it wasn’t too bad of a hike for it being 10 miles round trip. As others have stated, the landslide area is a little tricky to maneuver but after that it’s fairly easy onwards. Spotted a handful of mule deer and a female moose along the trail. Also, since it’s been a wet season here in Colorado, there were a TON of bugs/mosquitos all along the trail and mainly at the lake. Which unfortunately cut our time by the lake really short!

Awesome trail. Landslide covers trail a little over 2 miles in. Takes careful climbing to cross it.

We hit the trail around 9am on a weekday and took our time. hit some snow near the top but could get to timber lake! we saw a moose on our way down, probably 1 5 miles from the entrance. the trickiest parts were getting around the landslide zone and finding the path at the top with the snow, but still doable. overall spent about 3hrs going up, an hour at the lake, and 2.5hrs down, again taking some time to stop, enjoy, and be winded. The way down is a bit rough on the knees, but overall, would do again!