Timber Lake Trail

Timber Lake Trail is a 9.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Lake, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September.

Timber Lake Trail passes through forests and meadows to reach the open area at Timber Lake. Timber Lake is located 4.8 miles from the Timber Creek Trailhead on the west side of Rocky Mountain National Park. It shares a large, level basin with two adjacent ponds beneath Mt Ida. A well-cut trail leads through diverse forests and luxuriant meadows where moose and elk sightings are common. Visitors will enjoy excellent fishing and room to explore this idyllic alpine lake setting.

Definitely longer than 9 miles there and back and although my wife and I are beginner/intermediate hikers, this was a difficult one for us. So worth it at the lake! Left at 8:30am, arrived at lake by 2 pm and made it to car a little after 5pm. Full day for us! Got some great photos and it motivated us to do Ida trail next time, looking up at it from the lake on this trail.

got to see elk,mouse and a bunch of other critters. tough hike, but worth it..also there is no swimming in the lake. unfortunately caught some people in it.. please respect our parks.. thanks.

First and for most! YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO SWIM IN THE LAKES @ A NATIONAL PARK!! Saw a few people this weekend who lacked basic knowledge of this.. disgusting..
Beautiful Trail! Definitely would rate this a Hard not a moderate trail, make sure you have Proper hiking shoes as the trail consist mostly of rock your whole way up and has lots of switch backs towards the top. The last 1.7 to the lake is the Hardest part but the most rewarding. Just when you think your not going to find it, you do! It's worth it to get to the top!

Fantastic hike. I saw two moose about 30 minutes into the trail. Hikers coming down from the top said they saw a big Bullmoose but I never spotted him. There is ample parking at the trailhead along with several picnic tables.

The views are great at the lake and in some spots during the hike. It is 10.2 miles round trip according to a GPS watch. It's not very steep at all except if you take the landslide detour. We did on the way up but went through the landslide on the way back down. It's definitely easier to go through it. Have to climb over one large tree and one steep slope. However there are tons of tree debris hanging onto loose soil right above you so be careful and I wouldn't go through there if it's raining or wet. About a mile from the lake in the open field we saw two moose - mother and child - near the trees on the right when heading down. This was around 3 PM. Going to post a pic of the landslide.

I'd rate this as just above moderate, as it has a steady amount of climbing as well as distance, but well worth the effort!

This is a awesome trail with a beautiful reward. The landslide area was a matter of getting over a few logs and was not that bad. Took about 6h 15min, and watch recorded 10.5 miles. That was with walking around the lake.

Parts of the trail were fairly strenuous. The landslide was difficult to pass for someone afraid of heights.

It's a very tough moderate trail but an awesome run! Most of it is a shallow enough incline that it's still runnable, only had to walk up in a few spots. There is a few logs and trees that need navigating, and the landslide you should go around.

This trail was quite difficult ... more so than other moderately rated trails we've done. My gps watch said this trail was 11 miles (could be wrong, just saying)... also with part of the trail missing due to a landslide you have to climb over/under fallen trees, plus scramble on hands and feet over gravel/mud (on a steep slope) to get to the trail on the other side. With all of that, plus the 2000 ft elevation increase I would definitely rate this as hard. But, there was hardly anyone else on the trail and we saw elk. Also, the view at the top is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen! So if you're willing to put the work in, it's worth it. It was just definitely harder than I planned!

I think that this Trail should be rated as difficult given the avalanche damage. The damage was difficult to navigate. The long hike up is worth it when you reach the beautiful lake. I made the mistake of leaving too late in the day so I had to endure a thunder rain and hail storm.

Great hike. Climb at beginning, then levels off. Landslide about 2 miles in, have to detour up a steep slope, cross a wet area and steep slope back down. Takes about 10 minutes, strenuous climbing but path easy to follow. Trail is wet in spots, with snow cover especially in last portion up to Timber Lake. A bit tricky to find trail on way up and back but doable. Approx 11.5 miles RT. Timber Lake is beautiful.

Saw the bear within half mile of starting the trail. He was a big guy but wanted nothing to do with us once we gave him the right away. Scenery in here beautiful and lots of sign of elk.
The landslide area was definitely not stable. We heard lots of popping and snapping noises. We peeked around area they just fixed up and saw whole trees moving! Then we went back to trail that went above landslide area. Very steep but got up it. As we were standing above landslide area heard more popping and snapping. Saw 100 ft trees swaying and then whole group of them went down the mountain. The entire hill was very unstable! We decided to turn around as we didn't want to be in the middle of this. Sounds of those big trees snapping for the 20 mins we were in area will stay with me.

We observed several elk along the trail, sometimes they were a little close for comfort. The trail itself was great, but remember to take lots of water as this trail has about the first 1.5 miles up steep grades.

The best part was approx .25 MI after the landslide we did observe a black bear (again... a little close for comfort). It was coming down a hill right toward the trail. It stopped once it saw us, and after watching us for a minute it took off back up the hill. I'd say it was about 30-50 yards in front of us with little trees separating our view.

It's an awesome trail. I highly recommend. Just make sure you take the appropriate gear as I'd say it's more difficult than the app suggests.