Thunderhead Hiking Trail

Thunderhead Hiking Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Steamboat Springs, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

I cheated to some extent. Went up gondola to catch the Friday morning yoga class, had lunch and then hiked down the trail. Nice views of valley and wild flowers. Challenging enough to use a walking stick.

This is a well marked trail with a steady pitch all the way to the top. Beautiful scenery and lots of shade. We hiked up and took the tram down (free).

We took the gondola up and hiked down, which is $25 per person. The views of the valley are just stunning! I would rate this hike as strenuous even for just going down. I didn’t give it five stars because the trail is very overgrown, and there were a ton of bees (mid July) that we had to avoid. I would recommend wearing long pants if you have any grass-related allergies. Overall the hike was worth it, but it was a challenge!

Very strenuous hike. Views are great. Make sure you have good gripping shoes. Mostly sand on trail. Takes about two hrs with plenty of breaks. Gondola ride is worth the hike.

Beautiful views! Did this in late June on an 80 degree day. I’m 43 but I had major brain surgery about 8 months ago. It is 2,180 foot climb but pretty steep hills all the way. 1.5 hours. This should be rated moderately difficult for most. The beginning of the hike is the worst bc most is not shaded and not that pretty. The last half is nice due to the pretty walk in the woods and spectacular views. If a view of the city is what you want this is for you! Beautiful wildflowers etc...It is Almost all a steep uphill climb on dirt. Which could be tricky for those without good balance. We hiked 2 days ago to the upper falls at Fish Creek Park. It was more beautiful and an easier hike although scarier! Some may disagree with me. Free Gondola ride down made it worth hiking!
My 10 and 12 year old did the hike with us!
Turned on the trail tracker very late in the hike.

Steep! I was fine but if you aren’t used to hikes, it’s pretty much a hard hike, 3.8 miles with almost no flat spots. Good wildflower spotting and views, and it connects to the gondola, but it’s prolly not “moderate” for 70% of normies.

It’s rated moderate but it all depends on your agility level. I found it to be difficult. It took me nearly three hours. 95% is uphill with steep areas with not so much traction. The views are AMAZING. It did seem like other people could get up much more quickly than me. I’m 5’4” and 160. I work out about 4-5 days a week and I struggled. The signage is not marked in some areas. We just talked to folks along the way. The shady woody parts of the walk felt magical. I loved it but I’ll probably never attempt it again. :)

Beautiful trail! Great views of Steamboat and the mountains beyond. The trail is mostly uphill and switchbacks up the mountain, I feel that it should be rated moderate rather than easy. It was nice to be able to walk from our condo in mountain village to the start of the trail. It was easy to find and fun to ride the gondola back down for free.

I didn't jump on the trail until about 2 miles up the road; there's a DETOUR sign coming off the trail just up from where the bench ski lift crosses overhead but the trail IN is not marked there. All together I did the whole trail combing a few rds and Valley View trail. Thunderhead was more of a hiking trail and definitely worth the time. It goes from hard packed dirt and weeds to soft dark dirt, rock and roots. You will do switch backs up to the gondola crossing meadows at times with a lot of the final ascent ferns and thick birch trees. The views were cool but not breathtaking. I found it to be pretty well shaded. The elevation up should say 2100' not 36'. Valley View was much more runable. Reviewed by a MI flatlander.

This was a beautiful trail. Straight up hill most of the time but still nice. It zigzags through some wooded areas so there is shade. Other parts plateau and go through meadows of flowers. Once you reach the top you can ride the Gondola back down for free.

Saturday, August 05, 2017