Learn more

Three Peaks Loop via Gold Camp Road and Captain Jacks Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(76)
North Cheyenne Cañon Park

Three Peaks Loop via Gold Camp Road and Captain Jacks Trail is a 10.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Colorado Springs, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 10.9 mi Elevation gain 2,614 ft Route type Loop

Photos (2199)
Recordings (76)
Completed (207)
Natalie Roussel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 9, 2020
HikingOff trailRockyScramble
View Natalie's Recording
JerJer Binks
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 1, 2020
Hiking

It was cool. Kineo was the shining star and Buckhorn the weak point. I'd almost say go counter clockwise and do Kineo last. At the top of Mays there were a ton of fireflies and I'm not sure they would have been there earlier in the day. It was a sight to be seen, almost spiritual.

View JerJer's Recording
J K.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 6, 2020
Mountain bikingRocky
View J's Recording
Shelby Walter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 25, 2020
MuddyRockySnow

What an amazing hike. The Seven Bridges trail is a little difficult because of the elevation gain, but the trail is easy to follow as long as you don't miss the trailhead off of Gold Camp. The top of the trail is tricky, and we found it difficult to see where to go after the seventh bridge. Climbing from there to the summit of Kineo was very difficult for us, but the rest of the hike was moderate. There was some snow at the top of seven Bridges and to the top of Kineo, but the rest was clear. Slightly muddy, but nothing unmanageable. All of the bikers and dirt bikers we shared the trail with were incredibly polite.

Christiaan Burke
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 9, 2020
HikingRocky

Super fun, best to go clockwise and get elevation out of the way and makes it easier to descend at the end when your tired. We went 8am-1pm and didn’t run into a lot of people after we finished 7 bridges. Keep the map on you so you don’t miss the turns but they are not to hard to find. Some places are steep some are loose gravel some of it is really rutted out by dirt bikes especially the last peak. Super fun and not very hard especially if you give yourself a ton of time to do it. Super pretty hike especially so close to the Springs some places really feel like your further away then you really are.

Jarred Bland
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 8, 2020
HikingRockyScramble
View Jarred's Recording
Erik Peterson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 4, 2020
Hiking

Hiked on Sunday, May 3. There are number of trails that start at the same location so it can be a challenge to find parking at the trailhead. But overall great trail that includes a river, the seven bridges, tree cover, and some awesome views. There are some spots of the trail that are comprised of loose gravel - so good hiking shoes and poles are helpful.

Chris Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 19, 2020

Great hike with some spectacular views, especially the first peak. Some snow after that but totally passable. Go clockwise to get the steepest part done first and pay attention when on Captain Jack's trail on the last summit. The trail to the summit is easy to miss.

Ellie Morton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 8, 2020
HikingRocky
View Ellie's Recording
Drake Oversen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 4, 2020
Hiking

Hiking the seven bridges section at sunrise with a clear blue sky and all of this snow was the most beautiful hike I’ve been on in co springs. Wow. That first peak (we went clockwise) was also stunning. The rest of the hike was nice but I will return just for that first section.

View Drake's Recording
Dan Boyce
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 29, 2020

We got lost!

View Dan's Recording
Tracey Elizabeth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 29, 2020

It’s closer to 11 miles.

View Tracey's Recording
Rebecca Austria
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 18, 2020
HikingIcySnow

The parking lots and front-range trails were incredibly crowded today (weekday, but spring break) - so the 3 Peaks Trail was a great choice to get away from the crowds! The north facing trails are still covered in snow and ice, but I did fine in my trail runners (even tho I carried micro-spikes with me). I also brought bear spray and my inReach device; no cell service on these trails. I would highly recommend this trail for any hikers (2- or 4-legged) looking to get away from the crowds.

View Rebecca's Recording
Denisa McCombs
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 19, 2020
HikingIcyRockyScrambleSnow

Beautiful hike. The last peak gives an amazing view!

View Denisa's Recording
David Hunt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 2, 2019
Hiking

Great trail with 3 awesome peaks!! I did 11.18 miles in 4:45 hrs!! I went a little extra due to missing some turns.

View David's Recording
Jeremy Gunderman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 27, 2019
HikingNo shade
View Jeremy's Recording
Nicole Marie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 17, 2019
Hiking

Super gorgeous hike that has a little of everything. Bicyclists and dirt bikes were out in full force but they were courteous and I was aware. Clockwise was best, get the steepest incline out of the way. Got off trail or missed turns a couple times but checked my map and corrected.

Shannon Corpora
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 4, 2019
Hiking

NO snow or ice on this route as of 5/4/19! What an absolutely fantastic loop. Beautiful views for most of it, and a lovely creek to walk beside for a portion. We went clockwise and I'm so glad we did, for a couple reasons. After the first easy mile, it's pretty steep - it was nice to get the most difficult section done first, plus I can't imagine going downhill for certain parts of 662. However, going clockwise means you are only beside the water for the first section - something to consider if you think you'll need to filter water for your bottles. My husband and I each had two 24-oz bottles (some of which we shared with our dog) and they were completely gone by the time we got back to our car. The summits are NOT well marked! Buckhorn is the most obvious (just keep going until you get to the giant boulders) but the other two were not at all. If you are doing the Mays Peak section going clockwise, be sure to look at the AllTrails map at the point where it turns sharply back south off of 667/Captain Jacks Trail!!! You WILL miss it otherwise. There's absolutely nothing to indicate that there's a second trail branching off, it doesn't even look like a deer trail. We went a full half mile out of our way before we realized our mistake. Walked back and forth for several minutes at the supposed branching off point, completely baffled as to where we were supposed to go. Just trust the red line, it'll get you there! The summit to Kineo is equally as confusing. Just before the map, there's a small post indicating no campfires/camping, in front of a fallen tree (as of 5/5/19). If you look beyond that tree, you'll see the path. It seems to end when you reach the rocky part, but keep going! Scramble up the boulders (there's really no clear path up there, so be careful) and you're there. Don't get discouraged, it's the best view of the three and absolutely worth it. The trail was a little "slippery" in parts because of all the loose gravel, but nothing unmanageable. We hiked with our dog, and all of the bikers/dirt bikers we passed were friendly. Not crowded at all, which surprised me because the parking lot when we got back down around 2pm was a madhouse. All in all, a fantastic trail, definitely one of my favorites. Just make sure you're consulting the app during the turn-offs (ESPECIALLY the aforementioned Mays Peak sharp turn off 667 going clockwise, it's really the most baffling thing I've ever seen) and bring plenty of water!

Greg O'Malley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 6, 2018
Mountain biking

Amazing trail. DO NOT mountain bike up Seven Bridges. You’ll end up carrying your bike to the top. However, the downhill does make it all worth it.

WARREN PAUL
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 10, 2018
First to Review

This loop takes you near the summits of three peaks in the area (Kineo Mountain, Mount Buckhorn, Mays Peak) so why not bag 'em? With over 2600 feet of elevation gain over 10+ miles, the route would be classified as moderate-to-difficult; however, the tread is good over the whole route--including the unmarked and uncharted routes to each summit. The steepest parts are the route to the saddle below Kineo and the last couple hundred yards to the top of Mays. 667 is a bit chewed up from motorcycles and the route from 665 up Mays is a bit washed out, but both are very manageable. My favorite part of this hike was from the saddle beneath Kineo's summit where the trees opened up to spectacular views. Unfortunately, none of my photographs from there turned out for some reason.

Classified Noneoffyourbusiness
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 29, 2020