Thomas Lakes Trail is a 12.6 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Basalt, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 12.6 km Elevation Gain: 496 m Route Type: Out & Back

NOTE: The road leading to the trailhead - Dinkle Lake Road - closes to vehicle traffic in the winter.

Great hike if you’re looking for something mellow but not so short it’s almost a waste of time. We hiked a little past the set of two highest lakes so we clocked in at 8.6mi. The trail is a touch rocky in spots but nothing major. We took our 2yr old daughter and she walked most of the way back down (she insisted, we’re not monsters). Given our toddler dictating the pace we took a while but the wildflowers, aspens and the sections of sweeping views made pace a non-issue. The lakes are plenty big that even if it were jam packed (which it wasn’t) you would have no trouble finding a nice secluded spot for lunch. We’ll definitely keep this one in our back pocket for later.

This trail was gorgeous. Completed it on 5/31 and it was perfect conditions- sunny and basically no snow! The wildflowers were already popping on the hike up which was a nice surprise. I hiked slightly past the lake and back and it took 3 hours with a brief stop for pictures and my gps said 9 miles total. The trail is very rocky but the incline is mostly gentle to moderate. I never thought it was strenuous. I loved the aspen groves, 360 views and alpine atmosphere at the lake. 10/10!

What an awesome trail!! I was thinking it was going to be a little tougher, but this is as easy as it gets. There is maybe one spot that has a decent incline, that's it. This is probably the most mellow 8 .4 miler I've done yet. My Garmin read exactly 4.2 to the top lake. It has one of the nicest grades along the whole way, anyone can hike this trail. My wife and I walked side by side pretty much the whole way. This was obviously an old road at some point, as it's that wide till you get close to the lakes. Tons of dandelions and flowers in the meadows, and lots of shade in the woods. This was a Sunday, so there were lots of people out. Hiking, running and mountain biking too. About a dozen numbered campsites around the lakes, so we'll be back to do an overnighter and summit Sopris. There are a couple spots that are rocky, but the bulk of the trail is not. Don't let the mileage amount deter you. We made it up in about 2 hours, and we were taking our time. Snow free all the way, with just a few patches here and there. Great hike!!

Perfect, serene hike! The hike up to the lakes is rocky and has a few inclines that push this into the moderate range but it isn’t too bad. There weren’t a lot of people. When you get to the bigger lake the trail forks off in several ways but it’s impossible to get lost. Plenty of offshoots to see the lake from different angles. Still a bit of snow toward the top but not bad (as of May 26, 2020). I will definitely come back!

Beautiful! Snow here and there still. Wildflowers are blooming. The lake was goregous!

Beautiful views on the way to the lake. Not too difficult. Started the trail at sunrise with a good pace and finished in just a little over 3 hours.

Hiked on 5/22/20. Got started at 7am and made it to the lakes in about 1 hour 30 minutes. Still some snow around the lakes, but nothing unmanageable in hiking boots. I would recommend downloading COTREX or another trail map app, however, as it came in handy when I lost track of the trail a few times closer to the lakes.

Super fun trail! Not too difficult except for a few short inclines, very well maintained. Lots of parking, road to get up is a little rough at parts. Snow is almost all melted except for by the lake, wear shoes that can handle a little wetness!

This hike is mostly a gentle grade. Wildflowers are out in the meadows. There are still a lot of pockets of snow on the last mile, so you have to pick your way carefully to avoid deep snow and mud. The view at the lakes is spectacular, as there is still lots of snow on Sopris.

Road is open to the parking area. Made it all the way to the lakes. Spotty snow the last mile. Deeper as you get closer to the lakes but very manageable.

icy

Road to trailhead is closed till May 15th. Last 1.5 miles is 2 feet of snow. We could not make it to the lake. Ended up hiking a total of 9.1 miles since the road was closed. (2miles from parking to the trail head)

icy

100% need snow shoes or skis. road is closed until may 15 which adds another 4 miles round trip to the hike

Great hike. First couple miles are quite rigorous and all uphill. Goo mix of sun exposure and shade. Lakes are beautiful but I kind of had to make my own path to Thomas Lake when at the top cause there was no clear path to it.

2.5 hrs for round trip hike, 3 hrs total with 30min at the lakes. only a couple steep portions, most is a moderate easy grade with some flat areas. trail sees enough foot traffic rocks on trail are plentiful and you have to watch your step most of the way.

Was one of the most beautiful hikes I’ve ever been on. The fall colors were in full bloom, it did start to rain a tiny bit, but that only created a nice rainbow to greet me during my descent.