The Sawtooth via Mount Bierstandt Trail Loop

The Sawtooth via Mount Bierstandt Trail Loop is a 8.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Montezuma, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is only recommended for very experienced adventurers and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Probably the most straight forward easy class 3 traverse of 14ers, if you’re looking to gain experience in mountaineering for more difficult 14ers this is a great starter. Not as congested as some might think but I’ve only hiked it very early in the morning 5am-6am

This is one difficult trail but gives you 2 14er summits and is pretty breathtaking. There are areas of difficulty with the scree, and an extremely brutal descent through a gorge at the end, but an amazing achievement to put under ones belt. Just make sure you have enough energy at the end to go all the way around the marsh before getting to your car. It's pretty maddening to see it for several miles while the trail just keeps going sideways from where you want to go.

Bring gloves and a helmet. Follow the cairns and you'll be alright. The Sawtooth looks imposing but it is not as hard as it looks. I took a shortcut to the rock gully, I wouldn't recommend it, stick to the path. After descending the rock gully, the path gets muddy as you get closer to the creek. You merge with the Bierstadt trail near the last of the boardwalk sections.

So beautiful! Well worth the extra elevation and miles. Even saw moose and mountain goats - bonus!!! One word of caution: I would very much recommend you don’t take your dog across the ridge connecting to the Sawtooth (even though the route description says dogs are allowed). With a couple of nearly vertical sections, it could be dangerous for the dog and/or you.

OMG. Absolutely breathtaking. Not only for the views but the exhilaration! First class 3 and I have not stopped thinking about it! Started from the trail head at 1 pm. Summited Bierdstadt at 3pm, then made the decision to cross the Sawtooth. Pretty easy, just watched my footing and didnt hesitate to crawl a bit-definitely used a lot of arm strength lowering myself down. About 3/4's of the way across you are forced onto the front face of the ridge where there are sheer drops of at least 1000 feet. DO NOT LOOK DOWN! lol Unless you are into that kind of thing. I just kept my head down sand my eyes on the trail(ledge). Definitely a point where my heart and head were screaming for me to get the hell off that rock but what are you gonna do? Sit up there and wait for someone to come get you? Exhilarating. Took 2 hours to cross the ridge, then about another 1 1/2 to summit Evans. Hitchhiked back to Breck after that-boyfriend said we needed to cross back over the ridge to get back to the car. Crazy ass. I told him hell no, made friends with some people that had driven up and ended up having dinner with them.lol What an adventure! If you are terrified of heights, in any way out of shape or inexperienced to hiking please dont even think about this one-stick with summiting Bierdstadt.:)

Friday, June 23, 2017

I wish I had brought gloves when I crossed the sawtooth, oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

rock climbing
Thursday, June 22, 2017

The sawtooth is a class 3 technical route. There is dramatic exposure on the route where a mistake could be fatal. A
climbing helmet is recommended along with approach shoes or hiking boots that have sticky rubber.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

A very long day with some fairly technical parts, but a great challenge. What a blast!

Saturday, August 12, 2017