The Loch Lake Trail

The Loch Lake Trail is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is best used from March until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

The trail is great for hiking and normally takes a half day. Once you make your way to The Loch, you will experience some of the pristine beauty that the Rocky Mountains hold. The view of the canyon and surroundings once you arrive is breathtaking. You also get a view of Andrew's Glacier.

Easy to got there, today is heavy windy, the loch lake is so beautiful, worth doing hiking, highly recommend!!! My fiancee with me will come back this summer for logs peak.

Most Beautiful scenic hike of RMNP with ton of snow Deposit. snow shoes or micro spikes is recommended. Takes 5 hrs round trip. Better to start as early in the morning.

Beautiful, heavily snow packed trail! Highly recommend microspikes. You can definitely make it without trekking poles, but I'm really glad I had mine with me. Some areas were extremely narrow with waist high deep patches of snow on one side and drop offs on the other, so be careful.

Amazing views throughout, especially when you get to the top and are on the frozen lake! I'll definitely return for this hike in the summer time, but continue onto Sky Pond.

The trail was in good shape with packed snow. I could have made it with just micro spikes although some people along the route said they wish they had snowshoes. After the junction for Glacier Gorge the trail has switch backs. The view is beautiful. The lake is also beautiful. I walked to the island in the middle to have lunch. Luckily the day was not windy but there were gusts even so. I would plan to get there by 3 pm at the latest because the sun goes behind the mountain.

Well packed snow all the way to the lake today (1/14/18). Made it to the lake in yaks no problem but snowshoes were needed on the other side. Absolutely stunning walk across the frozen lake!

Today was blustery. The conditions at the parking lot mirrored that of The Loch, which meant that we spent very little time at the destination. We made a decision at the Glacier Gorge parking lot that we would not take our snowshoes based on the snow conditions we saw, which was a good decision until we reached the trail split to go to Loch Vale. From that point on, the snow began to drift, and those without snowshoes found themselves post-holing to the top. To be honest, this is the first time I've done this trail and I have no idea if it was even the correct route (basically climbing up a waterfall, but we were following the tracks from previous hikers). This area was actually the highlight of the hike from a scenery perspective, but definitely considered turning around multiple times. My advice is to be prepared with a minimum of microspikes, poles and extra gloves to ensure a comfortable descent. I'm eager to try this trail again under more moderate weather conditions.

Arrived at 7:30am on a Friday morning to an empty parking lot-save the plow making some final touch ups. The trail today was snowy but sturdy. The new snow had not yet packed into nice and was soft and crunchy (only about 3-5 inches) most of the way. Near the top, there were more frequent instances of ice patches hidden under the snow. The snow also becomes deeper and the drifts obscure the tail more often near the lake. But the path is never difficult to locate. Micro spikes or snowshoes highly recommended. I was able to make the whole way with micro spikes without any issues, except one step that left me calf deep in a drift and some subsequent snow in my right boot. The way up is steady but never too step. There are a few switchbacks, but nothing too strenuous. Even with the cold and the wind, the time by the lake was remarkable. If you have more time than I did, I imagine that this lake would only mark the beginning of the explorations to be done in this area. The whole trip took me about 4 hours, including a healthy sit by the lake.

Beautiful. Micro spikes, yak traks, and/or boots with great traction will make the hike much more enjoyable.

Great trail - one of my favorites in RMNP. There was a lot of snow on the trail and a few patches of ice, but nothing unbearable. I didn’t need to use my spikes until the descent as there were a few areas that were icy on the way down. Overall, great hike! Expect strong winds when you get to the lake.

Great trail. Compacted snow all the way through. Blustery at the lake.

Beautiful start but the base of the trail was so icy we could barely walk. We had to turn back shortly after we started due to the ice. Would definitely return when the weather is warmer.

Beautiful trail, snowy. We wore traction and had no problem. It is icy in spots today, but mostly just a snow packed trail. Be careful not to post hole as you approach the lake; the snow is deeper than you think. We arrived at 9 and there was still plenty of parking.

Very beautiful scenery and hardest hike I’ve ever done! Maybe because of the altitude. Safe and easy, just rocky, icy and steep. Highly recommended for the views!

This was a beautiful trail! Gorgeous views the whole way up. An easy moderate for sure, but what a perfect day. Light snow on the ground and windy but didn’t even need hiking boots

Nice hike, not too difficult but enough gentle climbing to keep the blood flowing. Beautiful views along the way highlighted by Alberta Falls and the loch. It was snowing lightly and the trail was lightly covered but no issues. There were definitely a few slippery spots to be cautious on, however.

The trail is well-maintained and not very difficult. Nice views throughout, especially nice to walk next to the creek/stream throughout a lot of the hike. The trail was not icy enough today to need spikes or anything. The lake was frozen though.

Beautiful. Really beautiful.

Walked this trail at 4:30 this morning for the sunrise. It was calm, winds not too bad and not too much snow

Hand down my favorite hike!! Amazing views the entire time!!

Walked this trail yesterday. Pretty straightforward trail, a couple of areas of impacted ice but not an issue. Almost all of the trail is sheltered from the wind, until the top. A waterfall and great views on the first part of the walk. The lake was frozen and looked magical. Highly recommended.